Mitas E-07 on F700GS ?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by vasuvius, Oct 15, 2018.

1. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    Are these Tube Type as well as Tubeless ? "Tire Size: 140/80-17 69T TL/TT"

Got a flat today and had to plug it on the way home from work. 7k miles on the Anakee 3 and they still look brand new. But the puncture is in a place where I'm not comfortable riding it plugged for long. And it was a staple where 1 end penetrated the tire and the other did not go through fully.

Hopefully if I order today/tomorrow I should have it before the end of the week and can mount it Saturday.

The reviews on this tire look pretty good but most seem to be on the F800GS which I presume people are using with a tube. Anyone run these tubeless on an F700GS ?

Thanks, V.
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one on the f7 and my f8, I've been very happy with them both.
    vasuvius likes this.
  3. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run them on an f8, can’t rate them highly enough.

They come ready for tubeless tyres just with a stamp saying “on tube type wheels use a tube”!

I don’t think you will be disappointed but if you are then they are a cheap tyre anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    vasuvius likes this.
  4. Pilotuh1b

Pilotuh1b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had them on a Super 10 and my F8. They are the best compromise I’ve found with no odd handling characteristics.
  5. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Just ordered. Hopefully it should arrive before the end of the week.
    dpike likes this.
  6. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yep. Run the E-07 tubeless with over 12,000 kms on a F700GS, no problem.
    vasuvius likes this.
  7. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    The tire arrived today. Mean looking tread :-)

How often do most people replace the valve stem ? Every tire change or every other or never or some other frequency ?
  8. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never replace the valve stem until it fails. Usually you can get 10 years out of them
  9. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I’m still so confused my Mitas E07 now.
    So, my F800GSA can only get the + (plus) now in back. And only the standard E07 in front.

I ran the standard E07s (f&r) down the east of Africa and at 24k km could have gone more.
    Mitas only makes the + now for my rear, so running up the west side of Africa on it (standard E07 front).
    12k km so far, but I’m guessing the + (plus) will get say 65% of the wear of the old standard.
    It’s a better off road tire and still nice on tar, but the wear of the standard was great on continents with few large tires and travelers with stretched budgets.

Poor customer service by Mitas to have taken our choices away.
  10. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi bakercbd,

I am facing this same dilemma here in the uk, switching back from e10’s down to a better “winter” tyre and wanted to go standard e07 all round.

I was intrigued you said the + was a better off road tyre, I thought Mitas had made it more road focused?

11. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Hi antreed, where did you see it is more road focused?
    It’s a more blocky tread without the center strip. It says “Enduro Trail” vs “Enduro” on the sidewall (FWTW)

I’m overlanding, so don’t ride hard as I’m trying to avoid damage (to the bike also).

The “old “ E07 wore forever with the center strip. I got 14k miles down the east side of Africa and they could have gone more.

I’m at 7.2k miles (11.5k km) with the Plus up the west side and will be pushing 13k miles when I arrive in London. I’m very curious to see if the Plus make it. At least I’ll be in a place when I can buy a replacement tire if needed before then.

See picture just taken now) The Plus is wearing well, but 24k km (14k miles) not going to happen with this new version.

Attached Files:

12. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Mitas uk website actually says, better road performance and not more road focussed. Good luck on the way to London, if your passing through Kent feel free to pop round for a cuppa!

13. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    Antreed,
    Thanks, will do (see recent pics stick post for my jungle river crossing for a laugh)
    That it does (below). I’ll agree with everything except I’m skeptical on the ‘original durability ‘ claim.

I’ll report back with my ‘standard’ vs Plus wear report when I arrive in London (or sooner if the ‘original durability ‘ is marketing rubbish.

Which GS do you have? The 800 has only the Plus for the rear, I think the 700 takes a smaller size? (That may not be available in Plus?). I rode the Anakee 2 from the US towards Ushuaia, then swapped to K60 Scout for Down and up South America, then decided to fit the E07 in London before heading to Africa.

I think you’ll like the E07 a lot if you want a 50/50 tire. The K60 Scout is scary on wet pavement, in my experience.

From Mitas UK:
    The E-07+ was developed with a goal of successfully replacing the selected sizes of famous and very popular E-07. The aim was to keep the tyre performance in line with more and more powerful bikes and increasingly demanding riders. Our development team has preserved all the main benefits of the original E-07 and successfully improved the tyre towards the next level. Riders will still enjoy its original multi-functionality and its original durability. A slightly modified tread pattern of E-07+ delivers an improved off- and on-road riding performance. A bigger knobby design provides a plenty of open space between the tread blocks to displace sand, mud and water from the contact patch while keeping enough rubber in contact between the road and the rotating tyre.
  14. AltaPowder

AltaPowder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Idiocy, I say !

d