Mitas E-07 PLUS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Feb 22, 2018.

1. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    as can happen on a big hp dual sport my 990 has in the last yeAR eaten a Heidenau (high mileage LOUSY traction after reaching center solid rib), Metzler karoo (great traction lousy life span), and a Mitas + (quite good traction even when worn though not a long life).
    am headed south now towards baja on a set of stock scorpions as this ride will have plenty of slab and hoping to make it down and back (Inc. death valley rally) without a rear tire change.
    my .02.
  2. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    What is a “water cooled” size?

You’re not speaking Mercedes speak are you?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...tents-water-cooling-system-for-car-tires/amp/
  3. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern CA. Soon to be WY. Hope WY NEVER changes!

The tires spec'd for the current water cooled BMW boxer twins (as opposed to the older air cooled and air/oil cooled versions) are 170/60/17 rear and 120/70/19 front. The big S model KTM v twin adventure bikes (1190 Adventure, 1090 Adventure S, 1290 Super Adventure, 1290 Super Adventure S) and some recent Triumph models also run these size tires.

These were the first sizes that the E07 Plus tires were offered in (back when the fellow you quoted made his point). More sizes are now available. The earlier big BMW's, Suzuki VStroms, and many other adventure touring bikes use the 150/70/17 and 110/80/19 sizes.
    TomAZ1983 and scrubb like this.
  4. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:
    Just that I wanted to mount up a set of f/r E-07 Plus tires for my next set of tires on my Vee. I'd excluded the old E-07 front from my consideration since you folks (who's opinion I trust) had given negative reports about it. If the problem with that tire only occurs when that front is paired with the standard E-07 rears, then I guess I could run one with an E-07 Plus rear. Thanks for the updated evaluation of the front.:thumb
  5. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated "water cooled" relates to the BMW GS line. This thread was started over a year ago, and that was the only size available.

This is in the "GS" specific area.

Previous years include, Air head, Oil head, and wet head. Now 2019 cam head.

Hope that helps
    scrubb and cyclopathic like this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried E07 front with plus rear so I cannot neither confirm nor deny if it's going to be stable. All I am saying that old E07 front and rear are bad match and the stability issue wasn't caused by front only.

Stroms with road oriented geometry in general are not very stable bikes I had put close to 60k miles on E07s on Wee to confirm that. Front E07 did work better than plus my friend had in mud on Dempster and his bike worked better in gravel but he was on GS and I had shot rear bearing.

What do you plan in terms of traveling? If you are planning BDR something more aggressive like TKC80 or 804 front with E07 rear would be a good choice better than plus f/r both from stability and dirt point of view. However they don't last you are looking at 5-8k out of front at most good luck.
  7. senter

senter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the GS with the wheels on it. I think a guy bought the rallye and swapped for black wheels.
  8. senter

senter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff thank you. I have been running 29-32 front, and 35 rear. Thanks!
  9. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I did. Bought the HP, but swapped wheels with another inmate.

I was just curious, because I think it looks good on your bike.
  10. senter

senter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gracias modestmuscle. I am loving it . Way more enjoyable than my 1090.
  11. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:

I don't plan on doing any BDR type riding on this bike until next year. Just some more day (or weekend) rides on pavement, gravel roads, and some 2 tracks. May run up the coast to Oregon and possibly Washington to visit some friends.

Right now we're getting our house and property ready to put up for sale.........and will then buy a house in western Wyoming. Escaping California. Once we've moved, I'll hopefully once again be free to do more riding. I'll have Utah, Idaho, and Colorado within a day's road for BDR adventures (plus whatever's in Wyoming, including Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's). Will likely have another DR650 then too.
    Amphib likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me E07 front is a long distance compromise good for trip to Dalton or Dempster where you clock 10-15k and don't want to deal with tire swap. My first one was discarded when it had 30k+.. was close to bars still had some life left. Second one was discarded at 23k in Chihuahua before going to Copper Canyon in favor of Shinko 804 which was better for conditions. E-07s last they are good on pavement and more aggressive than 705 but not as good as TKC80 on dirt. With 07 front theoretically you would wanna keep a TKC80 front which you spoon on for BDR type of ride except E07 are real PITA to take off especially Dakars.
  13. flatlandmoto

flatlandmoto vigilant adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last year I ran TKC 80 up front and a Mitas 7+ on the rear for a 10 day 3600 mile IDBDR run from South Dakota. I have yet to find a tire I like up front more than the TKC. It doesn't wander in grooves, quiet compared to other aggressive front tires, wears well and is predictable off road. I would say it has 60% left. The Mitas was great on road, relatively quiet, and never left me wondering off road. On gravel roads I have always felt lateral traction could be better. I had the pleasure of spooning these on and off several times due to a puncture that I didn't patch well. The center stand trick and a helper made it pretty short work. The Mitas was at 40% but I scrapped it because of the puncture. Overall, I would probably run the combo again.
  14. Motorace

Motorace Black and Round pays the bills.

Oddometer:
    We will see those tires this summer.

More info coming when our reps visit us from Europe next Friday.

Timeline of the PLUS fronts release.
    Available quantities
    Available sizes
    PLUS Dakar release dates.

I'll post more when I know!

thx dave
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  15. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Dave.
    Motorace likes this.
  16. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye

Oddometer:
    This is what I am going to try next time. E07 rear and TKC front. A little more bite offroad on the front would be nice.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If only TKC80 could last! Mine was pretty much finished at 4500mi and at 8k it was down to nothing couldn't do another 100mi.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  18. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye

Oddometer:
    I think 4500 miles ot 7200km is quite a lot for a TKC rear?
  19. FireSpaceLigers

FireSpaceLigers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To cyclopathic’s comment about the dakars being a PItA to get off:

I’m only willing to remove them with a sharp pocket knife. Then they’re not going back on.
    Bitte ein Bit and DesertDonor like this.
  20. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    Yeah...to me the $25 to have a local shop do the install was completely worth it.
    Bitte ein Bit likes this.