Mitas E09 Dakar Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hasenwerk, Aug 25, 2010.

1. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have. They work great, leaning on the street a bit far will give you slidy results and engage traction control, but dirt action is awesome.

[​IMG]
  2. LostAussie

LostAussie Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer:
    Two of us from Colorado are riding the TCAT next summer. Does anyone know if Mitas are available in St John Newfoundland? I am thinking of using the E09 Dakar tires on my DR650 with an 18" rear wheel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! It would be wonderful to do the entire 15k of the TCAT on one set of tires!:D
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Single source tire, from mx1canada, I highly doubt there would be stock anywhere else.

Join up on ridetherock, lots of good folks who'd be willing to accept a drop shipment from mx1canada, which also means free shipping.
  4. LostAussie

LostAussie Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer:
    Thank-you!:1drink
  5. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    No, no one Here on the island stocks this tire, but I am in Eastport (300kms from SJ), NL and Have a new unused 18" Mitas E09Dakar that I had for my XRR ( I sold it this past summer ) hanging in my garage. If you're stuck you can have it (just reimburse the cost of the tire ) as I don't need it anymore and I have a tire changer here as well to help you mount it, if our schedules line up...
    I also have 3 E09Dakars rears in 17" hanging beside them!
  6. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    Also, If I haven't already mentioned, I ran the Dakars on the F8GS for a season or so and the wear was fantastic. 8500kms on the rear and it's about half worn. IIRC they came with 13.5mm lug and I was down to 7-8mm when I sold the F8. On the rear of the F8 there isn't a better tire but up front this tire is scary at speeds over 120kph, gets real squirrelly so I recommend running a different front tire like others have mentioned. Maybe a TKC80 up front and E09D out back would be the ideal combo, IMHO. Still for the price, you can't beat the Mitas...
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I agree about the front. :nod
  8. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    This tire seems very interesting to me and would definately be on my list of tires to try on my project RT/GS conversion bike.

My question would be, is there any issue with a DOT certification on this tire?

I am sure it is street legal in Canada and I am sure it would be legal to use in the US on an individual basis, like a person riding their bike from Canada to the US. But what would be any issue with a shop or a company importing 10 or 20 of these and selling them here?

My guess would be, to sell them here in the US there may have to be some testing and certification from the USDOT or other micromanagement department.

Is that possible though, for say a local BMW dealer to order a stock of those tires and sell them to the general public?
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Full trainwreck linky here
  10. 99p38a

99p38a Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Shipping isn't so bad, $55 to my Michigan door. I have a place I can have them sent to across the border that I can get when I am over there, but I have to pay something like $25 HST, it's 13%. so really I am hoping that they sell them in the US, but not in MI so I can save my 6% tax, and free shipping :) soon! I have found kenda big blocks for $193 shipped for a front and rear and I am going that route very very soon.

Pirelli scorpions are a nice price on the rear for now. Almost went with those on back and big block up front for a cost factor. The pirelli I found is $130 tho.
  11. NeptuneTriton

NeptuneTriton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics of the tires mounted to the KLR. I have just over 3,200 miles on them (in these pics) and 5,500 currently on them (80% pavement). I'm happy with the wear rate and the traction is great! The KLR needs all the help it can get off road and these tires have made it seem like a new bike in that regard. The only complaint I have is the front tire wears faster than the rear and the lugs get "wedge like" in appearance. First time I'll have to replace the front tire before the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. iJabberwocky

iJabberwocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my new E-09 Dakar for my 800gs. I think it might be a stiffer sidewall than the K60's. I think this tire will be sweet!
  13. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Earlier this spring I bought two 140-17 rears anticipating lot of off-roading with my 1200GS this summer.
    And then went ahead and broke my leg pretty bad.... :bluduh

I have the second one sitting in the garage unused. Not going to need that in long while now.

If anyone here around the SF Bay Area wants it, I'd be happy to sell it.
    Not sure shipping makes economical sense.

Mikko
  14. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    Post up how they are wearing. I bought the E-10, and it is half gone at 1300 miles. Traction is good off road and even on the pavement. I'm wondering if the E-09 is a harder compound. And yeah, it was tougher going on than the K60 or Kenda Big Block, and those were a bitch! :deal
  15. iJabberwocky

Oddometer:
    I will report but still running my Metzler Karoo 3's. I bought these because I want to try them out as soon as I can wear down the Karoos. My friend has run two sets on them and loves them on his KLR above. I followed him a few times on the WABDR and liked how they were getting traction so I figured why not. When I had my rear built (Excel rim) I wish I had done an 18" but oh well. I kinda wanted to keep it stock but it is hard to find tires I really like. So far have been happy with Karoo's but don't like how much of a gap there is between the treads. Yes they do clean out mud easily but I don't ride mud that often and when I do the terrain here doesn't matter what tire you have, it is slicker than snot. Anyway, I don't see me putting them on before winter.
  16. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    I just got done with a Karoo 3 rear. Hated the wear, 2700 miles, but traction was good compared to Anakees. The front is over 4000 miles and not cupping like I normally see with the TKC 80. I think I will run the front again, but probably going to the 1190 as soon as they are out. :clap
  17. iJabberwocky

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for John at Wenmoto to get his 1190 in. I can't wait to ride it. I am not pleased how fast the rear is wearing on the Karoo but am pleased with traction on every kind of terrain we have here in the WA state. I also came from the K60's so nothing really can compare to how long a tire lasts as the K60 but I ride more dirt so they provided ok traction but nothing like the Karoo's do.
  18. popohun

popohun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the E09 Dakar available in 130/80-17 size?
    I was looking for it in in Hungary but didn't found.
  19. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is—or at least was—produced in that size. I ran one in that size two summers ago and I've got another one that I just picked up from the flea market for next summer.
  20. popohun

popohun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 2008 XT 660 Z, what kind of mileage can I expect from the rear ?