MITUTOYO dial gauge recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hotwheels22, Oct 11, 2019.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

2. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Pull rotor off.4 bolts on a R100GS.

Clean the mating surfaces from all dirt/corrosion that has probably built up in there over the years and then use the method/specs from the manual to verify both axial and radial runout.

Pre cleaning specs weren't within the range on the last GS I checked a few years back.A good cleaning put them back in specs.Just so I could sell good parts to someone for his G/S to GS front end conversion.

All done on my DIY wheel truing/balancing jig with the slightly modified Marc Parnes balancer and $20.00 cheap Chinese deflection gauge/stand.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Magnetic bases are useful in some situations. Problem with using them on Airheads is that everything, almost everything, is made of aluminum. Magnets don't stick to aluminum. The frame is steel but it's a poor mount for a magnetic base because it is round.

You need a dial gauge to mount to that thing once you figure out how you're going to use it. The post where the gauge attaches will be a certain diameter and so most likely the base you have accepts either metric or inches tools. This has been my experience, maybe there's some solution I don't know about. But figure out what the post diameter is then you can look for a gauge.

Collecting machine tools, measuring tools, is a useful adjunct to working on machines. Most of the tools are made for use on mills and lathes by machinist. But us lowly mechanics can find many uses for this stuff. I advise, like the advise I was given, to pick one. Metric or SAE. Try to stick with it. A lot of modern electronic tools tho will do both. I chose SAE or inches because the stuff on the used market is much more readily available in SAE. I do have some of the stuff that does both like a Mitutoyo caliper that's very useful.

I mostly buy used name brand gear. Starrett, Mitutoyo and a few antique type things. Only if the price is right. Some stuff is better bought new like standard gauges to check the accuracy of your tools. I also have a granet block to be a standard flat surface.

This is fun stuff and I wish you luck. These tools can be very expensive but if you are careful you can get some neat stuff.
    SmittyBlackstone and hotwheels22 like this.
  4. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Take off a caliper, bolt on a steel piece of anything, to mag base on. Mitu indicator is good quality, more than need for occasional use. www.mscdirect.com house brand will do fine for 1/2 the money. Calibrated in thousands, not tenths in this case. Dovetail mount is what gyou need. The dovetail (mostly) the same between brands.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00468082?fromRR=Y
  5. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    hey man.
    can you help me wrap my head around how the dial caliper gets mounted to the stand?
    are you saying it is an”dovetail mount” on this stand? i can’t quite see how it gets mounted.
    also, any particular models in mitutoyo or starret you can recommend? somehow i like to go for it when i get tools. /usually/ i like to get a sweet deal buying used but once in a blue moon i will pay retail if i need it...

Attached Files:

SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. concours

Oddometer:
    The gizmo rotates around, to use the dovetail.
    The end currently facing out, will clamp 3/8 and 3/16 posts.
    Tight the screw to clamp any one of those three types.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  7. concours

Oddometer:
    It’s right there:
    37C3575C-DABA-4660-9B78-C421EE3C1623.png
    SmittyBlackstone and hotwheels22 like this.
  8. concours

Oddometer:
  9. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
  10. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks dustin.
    i picked up a mitutoyo electronic caliper when i started working on the bike. this stand just sort of fell into my hands. looks like i will jump in with the dial caliper. appreciate it...
  11. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks. appreciate that. i do need to do a massive cleaning.

so can you help me with lateral and radial?

lateral is “transverse” across the bike and measures the disk surface smoothness? this is “lateral runout” (0.03mm)?

and radial measures the disks variation in radius i guess? or “runout relative to hub” (0.3mm)?

Attached Files:

12. concours

Oddometer:
    Think back to 5th grade geometry. “Radius” of a circle. Root word for radial runout. Like a wheel with the axle off center, clown bicycle.
    Lateral... “toward the side”, normally the reason you are checking a brake rotor.
  13. concours

Oddometer:
    Multiply 25.4 to convert in to mm and divide to go back again.
  14. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    E449C8C4-3CD0-41CB-AA05-59ABBC0BE107.jpeg
    thanks.

just to confirm please.

so there is “max permissible runout of brake disk relative to wheel hub” is 0.03mm and you are calling this “lateral” or left side and right side?

and “max lateral runout of brake disk” is 0.3mm and you are calling this “radial”?
    concours likes this.
  15. concours

Oddometer:
    .03mm would be lateral (again, the common failure)
    .3mm would be radial (AKA, DMF)
    That book is wrong, ei, poorly worded/translated.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  16. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks a ton for the help.
    sounds like i just ignore the translation because it is really screwy basically.
    a couple more here please? from what i was hearing from the vendor of this rotor 0.03 actually sounded high. and also 0.03 would be for each side i suppose? meaning there could be high spots on each side up to 0.03?
    lastly. can i take a rotor like this into any old brake shop? or would i want a specialty place for some reason? slightly off topic there is guess.

Attached Files:

17. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Strange looking mounting of the aftermarket rotor? Where is the ring that should go over the rotor and spread the load from the bolts? From the marks on the rotor under the bolt heads looks like it could have been replaced with washers at one time but now MIA?

BMW part number: 36311452728 Ring 0.8mm

Custom job?Axle usually goes in from the right on a GS and the retainer is on the left.Your pic show the retainer on the right?
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  18. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    repair manual and additional pics. let me know if i am missing anything...

Attached Files:

19. concours

Oddometer:
    No.
    Forget trying to machine a motorcycle rotor.
    There is a thickness measurement given as well. That will show thick spots.
    What’s the performance sympton?
    Is it a cheap Chinese rotor? (Sold as an “upgrade”?)
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  20. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks. i’m hearing clean it and use a diamond stone.

i had some kind of hammering that left the brake lever slack. so i wanted to measure the spec. then i figured just take it to someone and have them mill it flat. but i guess bad idea...

the vendor said if i send it to them they’d mill it for me though. quality german stuff though. shouldn’t be cheap unless i overpaid somehow...

http://he-motorradtechnik.de/