Mixing Radial and Bias Ply Tires on My R1200GS Adventure?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by BeemerGuy19, Aug 12, 2020.

Tags:
?

Do you mix radial and bias ply on your ride?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. HELL NO!!

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. BeemerGuy19

BeemerGuy19 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys -
    Another tire question. Recently purchased new tires for the GSA on Bike Bandit and the tires that I purchased offered a bias ply option for the front tire and a radial for the rear. In an effort to save some money I went with that option. Did some research and found that this should not be an issue but just wanted to get some input if anyone has any experience.
    Thanks,
    T
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd get the response from the manufacturer of the tires. After all, who would know more about them than the company that makes them?

Besides it sounds like it's too late now, you already done the deal.
  3. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    BMW F650s had front bias and rear radials from the factory. Of course its a lighter bike but it worked well on those.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    To my experience it doesn't cause problem but bias ply usually need a fewer psi so if you replace it with radial y may have to run it at 2-3psi more.
  5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I prefer to ride both bias or both radial because they handle and feel different, but I've mixed them in the past. Mixing tires isn't ideal, but it's not a big deal. I wouldn't do it on a track bike, but have done it on a dual-sport in the past and it was a non issue. You'll feel a difference, but certainly nothing to be concerned about.
    BeemerGuy19 likes this.
  6. BeemerGuy19

BeemerGuy19 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. From the research I've done I don't think I'll have a problem. I think the bigger issue is going from wider to tires to manufacturers recommended sizes. I expect a very different feel on the road but who knows We shall see.
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going down in size will quicken handling. Take it easy until you get the feel for it. I've done that on a number of bikes downsizing in width or profile or both to quicken the handling of the bike, which I like.