MLB - America's Pastime

Discussion in 'Sports' started by devo2002, Sep 25, 2019.

1. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I am so sick of seeing catchers on their knees. So many stupid passed balls because a catcher can't shift to block.
  2. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one way to make the game more entertaining :lol3
    Benduro likes this.
  3. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a lifelong Mets fan, I never buy into the hype until playoff time, let me down way too much over the years. That said, with a new owner willing to spend money, I'm hoping for a turning point.
    Benduro and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  4. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, the Mets have an uncanny ability to f things up.
  5. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking about how the tigers had a rotation of Verlander, Price, Scherzer, Porcello and Anibal Sanchez basically in their prime and never won shit and got sad.
    mudcrutch, Benduro and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  6. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
    Were you ever a catcher? My grandpa was a catcher in the PCL (before they were letting Mexican dudes pretend they were Cuban or Dominican to play in the bigs) and my dad could have caught in college but did college football instead. I caught for 11 years and caught for our varsity squad as a freshman.
    I didn't have even a quarter of the time behind the plate of a pro. And my knees were killing me. Sometimes you just have to take a pitch or two on your knees.

I could actually get off a hotter, more accurate throw to second from my knees, too. That was hard on the elbow though and I'm feeling that today, literally.
  7. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Just ask Bobby Valentine.
    Wa Ho Thuk and devo2002 like this.
  8. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    I'm a lefty, we don't get to catch. But it isn't about saving knees.

This whole trend started because of framing pitches. The logic is that in a normal position the catcher's knees are the same height as the batter's knees. The umpire uses the catcher's knees as a reference point to call strikes. If you take away one of those reference points, the catcher stands a better chance of getting strike calls. It is true and it works.

The problem is that these guys are doing it with runners on base. That was never the intent, because a catcher on his knees can't shift to catch balls. The result has been more passed balls all around the MLB, most of which are being called wild pitches that probably shouldn't be.
    Benduro likes this.
  9. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. It also allows for better pitch framing by eliminating the imaginary strike zones at the catchers knee some umps have, and allowing the glove to move into the strike zone without being a obvious (you'll notice catchers starting with glove on the ground when in a 1 knee down stance). And I don't believe it's statistically much worse than a conventional stance for passed balls anyway.
    Benduro likes this.
  10. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doh, 205d on the pitch framing, although it's not just the frame of reference. There's been some amateur comparisons of passed balls in the stance, and it doesn't make much difference. The MLB teams obviously have much better analytics departments, and wouldn't allow it if the negatives outweighed the positives.
  11. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Regardless of where my knees were, I had some success framing, giving them the ol razzle-dazzle with my elbow.

In my county, the main home plate ump for all the pony/senior league games was the varsity coach at the high school.

Sneaky!

I was an all star in the U15 pony league largely because of my plate discipline. I had a league leading .714 OBP.

The JV team cut me because they had a badass sophomore catcher who would play college ball.

When the varsity coach heard I'd been cut from tryouts, he called me at home and asked me to be his varsity catcher! We went to div 4 state championships that year too.

But it actually sucked for me because all the jv guys, my friends since I was little, didn't think I deserved it since I'd been cut from their team, and the varsity guys didn't accept a freshman catcher AT ALL.

Fucking sucked.
    Wa Ho Thuk, gulfcoaster and devo2002 like this.
  12. Benduro

Oddometer:
  13. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    All I have to say is that I thoroughly enjoyed the football game between the Mets and the Braves last night.
    Wa Ho Thuk and devo2002 like this.
  14. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He says he has texts showing she asked him to choker and slap her, this will be interesting. He seems like a son of a bitch off the mound to me, I bet he has no such texts.
  15. Benduro

Oddometer:
    There's been a bunch of accounts in the preceding years of him being a super creepy internet woman stalker.

We'll see.
    Got_Carbs? and devo2002 like this.
  16. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  17. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy is my new favorite manager, and he looks like the Skipper!

Wa Ho Thuk, gulfcoaster and Benduro like this.
  18. Benduro

Oddometer:
    It gets better. It was his birthday!

2000th player in A's franchise history. First A to homer at his first plate appearance since Steinbach in '86.

Schwindel called up by A's

'Best birthday': Schwindel called up by A's
    June 29th, 2021
    [​IMG]
    Martin Gallegos

@MartinJGallegos

OAKLAND -- Frank Schwindel was prepared to spend his birthday in Salt Lake City, Utah, where the Triple-A Las Vegas Aviators were in the midst of a six-game road series. His wife and six-month-old son even flew down from their hometown of New Jersey for the occasion. Instead, Schwindel received a gift better than anything he could have imagined.

Schwindel was called up to the Majors by the A’s ahead of Tuesday night’s game against the Rangers at the Coliseum. The club also reinstated right-hander J.B. Wendelken from the 10-day injured list and designated right-hander Cam Bedrosian for assignment.

Schwindel had a feeling early Monday morning that a move might be imminent when he noticed he had been added to a group text that is designated for all players on the A’s Major League roster. Showing up to the ballpark in Salt Lake City later that afternoon, he received the news from Las Vegas manager Fran Riordan that his contract was being selected.

Immediately, Schwindel relayed the news to his wife, who booked the first flight to Oakland she could find for herself and their son.

“There was one seat left on the plane. We booked that, didn’t matter the price,” Schwindel said. “It was a great pre-birthday, and then today was probably the best birthday I’ve ever had.”

Schwindel brings a total Major League experience of six games, which he played with the Royals in 2019 when he made the club’s Opening Day roster. The 29-year-old first baseman was selected by the Royals in the 18th round of the 2013 Draft.

In 44 games with Las Vegas, Schwindel was hitting .324 with 16 homers, 11 doubles and 41 RBIs with a 1.013 OPS. The 16 homers were tied for most among all Minor League players with the Angels' top prospect Jo Adell.

“This is awesome,” Schwindel said. “Just to see the hard work paying off after putting up a good year and getting recognized by management to bring me up to a winning team. ... I’m here to help out and keep it going.”

The majority of Schwindel’s playing time is expected to come against left-handed pitchers, with a chance for a start on Wednesday against Texas lefty Kolby Allard. With two-time Gold Glove Award winner Matt Olson locking down first base, Schwindel will likely be limited to a designated hitter role.

The A’s were impressed by Schwindel’s power that was on display in big league camp during Spring Training. Having continued that into the Minor League season, A’s manager Bob Melvin said the timing was right for Schwindel to get a look in the Majors as the club is currently down two right-handed hitters in Mark Canha and Stephen Piscotty, who are both on the 10-day injured list.

“We got to know Frank pretty well in Spring Training,” Melvin said. “He’s well-liked. He’s got a great attitude. He was putting up really good numbers. This time of year, you’re trying to identify what you feel like is the best guy that can help you, and we feel like he is the guy."
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  19. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Met fans...Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!!!!
  20. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep , every July 1 until 2035 . One of the worst decisions ever made by a pro sports team .
    Benduro likes this.