MLB - America's Pastime

Discussion in 'Sports' started by devo2002, Sep 25, 2019.

1. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Looks like our strategy is to score more runs than our bullpen gives up. The recent acquisitions suggest that.

We needed a bat. We needed a good catcher. Neither Contreras or Smith are proving to be solid. But damn, our bullpen is horrible. Can we get a few good relievers?
    Benduro and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  2. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good middle relievers are becoming more rare , not sure why .
  3. mudcrutch

mudcrutch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trying to decide if I go back to Nat's park tomorrow for the 1:05 PM restart. Tonight was our first time back to the park since 2019. Full auto gun fire outside the park in the 6th. Panic ensues. MLB stops the game. Buzz kill. Had killer seats on 1st base line too. Kids all around us. Everybody having a great time. Gang bangers have at it outside the park behind the third baseline. But the report echoes off the buildings at the center field gate, thousands freak out. And the race is on for the exits. The stampede circles all the way through the park.

I'm thinking I go back. We put the right reliever in, we still have a chance. Zimmerman stroked a three run dinger to get the Nat's within one. Even though the Padres scored a couple more, we had some momentum.

I hate gang bangers. Fuckers.
    Benduro, Wa Ho Thuk and devo2002 like this.
  4. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeesh, just read up on it, some people yelling "Active Shooter" must have made it a really tense situation. I say if the weather is nice and not real inconvenient to get to the park, go back and finish what you started. :lol3
  5. mudcrutch

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm thinking. But the Bastards want everybody to buy a ticket for todays regularly scheduled game to get back in to see the finish of last night's game. And last night was a fireworks game. So I'm feeling pretty ripped off. Two tickets on 1st baseline were $142.00. Paid $35.00 to park behind somebody's row house just a block back from where the gang bangers had at it. Couple hundred for booze and peanuts. Total buzz kill.

Two of the three people wounded are suspects. But a fan outside the third base gate was hit too. Cops say they have located one of the auto's involved. Duh... two gangbangers inside it bleeding out. But really, the police were outstanding. Really impressive how they reacted.

It was bizarre how so many people panicked. It was kind of like "the wave" only disorganized. Section by section people started freaking out and bolting for the exits. Ten-fifteen minutes after the PA announced the situation was over, I was still trying to convince people to get up off the concrete between seats. Trying to comfort kids that really had no idea what was happening. One little guy in our row was balling his eyes out. I told him everything was okay and he was safe. He said "Yeah, I know. But now there won't be any fireworks".

No bullet holes in the Wife's Honda though. I think I Metro back and see how it plays out. I heard Corbin ran onto the concourse to try and calm people down, and the Umps were hot on his trail to see if he had any sticky stuff. :jack
    Benduro, Wa Ho Thuk and devo2002 like this.
  6. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you went all in, only way to do something like an MLB game. I'd be pissed and expect a 50% discount on today's game as a 'baseball shooting survivor'. Just curious for next time I'm in the same situation, were the bathrooms crowded during the shooting like between innings?
  7. mudcrutch

Oddometer:
    Wasn't a "baseball shooting" and I don't think of myself as a survivor. Couldn't tell you what the bathrooms were like during the shooting. Section 134 row AA, seat 1 & 2. We stayed put until they suspended the game.
    Benduro likes this.
  8. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I joke I joke, I keed, I keed.:lol3
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  9. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quip stolen from the interwebz

"If your mascot isn’t an alcoholic in lederhosen who lives in a chalet then just get the fuck out of here because you’re not trying hard enough."

[​IMG]
    2000RSV, PoundSand, Benduro and 2 others like this.
  10. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the sausage races.
    PoundSand, Wa Ho Thuk and devo2002 like this.
  11. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    “In a big-league clubhouse, we have community showers. The shower that I always showered in was the second one on the left. The shower that he always showered in was the third one on the left. Big mistake by me by showering next to this gross human being.

“I got a big base hit to win a baseball game and he’s like, ‘Man, what a great at-bat. Walk me through what you were thinking.’ I’m first or second year in the league. Dumb as hell. I’m thinking to myself that this is pretty cool. Greg Maddux wants to know what I’m thinking. So I go into this whole thing. I’m into it and I can sense that guys over on the other side are snickering and chuckling.

“I look down and he’s peeing on me. He’s Greg Maddux, so I can’t knock him out“

https://www.sportscasting.com/chipp...pmE27zEEAVpYhk2ZIpEpGOYg5aPZOc-vBQKd3B4wvjMmw

:photog:rofl
    gulfcoaster and Benduro like this.
  12. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jesus Christ!!! This doesn't change the fact that he's still my favorite pitcher of all time. But if I ever get a chance to meet my hero, I will remember to not shake his hand.
  13. mudcrutch

Oddometer:
    Nat's sent me an email, take advantage before 17SEP21 and gain free entry to any game for compensation towards postponing of Padre's game. That's two free seats of equal or lesser value. Nothing about free parking or replacing an alcohol buzz. $15.00 for a 16 Oz beer, or more of you want a quality beverage. Still, totally worth it.

The Nat's have a really good total fan experience. Screech, President's race, fan dance and kiss camera, 50/50 raffle and plenty more. Nothing replaces the vibe one gets from a good MLB ball park.

But I totally jinxed the team. Previous to the west coast travel debacle, the Nat's were red hot. I busted out on a college buddy how bad his Tiger's were stinking it up at 12-games back and the Nat's have sucked ever since. Schwarber pulls a groin, Strassburg out indefinitely, relievers suck. Jeez, just dropped three to Baltimore.

Time to think College Football?

Best story out of the panic game.... A family of four dropped into the Nat's dugout and actually made it into the clubhouse. They were standing next to Davey Martinez' office when a security guard approached them and asked if they were family. Martinez interrupted and said; "Yeah, they're Family. They're Nat's fans so they get to stay." I don't know if Davey is the best manager in baseball. But he's one of the best people in baseball, by far.
  14. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    The word on the street is that the Nationals are making anyone available for trade. Looks like they're calling it quits and building up their budget for offseason acquisitions.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  15. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    And if I had an emergency backup team, it would be the Nationals. I've spent a lot of time in DC and gone to quite a few games. Great stadium and great crowd.
    Wa Ho Thuk and mudcrutch like this.
  16. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guess they're joining the Cubs in that rebuild. Between the two teams there's some real talent up for grabs for whichever team is making a legit playoff push.
    Wa Ho Thuk and Benduro like this.
  17. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats @Benduro on getting my favorite guy in the Cubs bullpen.
    Wa Ho Thuk and Benduro like this.
  18. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
    We need him right now. Our pitching has actually been pretty damn good (except for blown saves) but we need all the help we can get with our bats so sleepy.

Diekman has been tanking though. Maybe we'll be using Chafin in his role, being a lefty.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  19. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Braves are lighting it up tonight. I love watching the Mets in pain in agony.
    gulfcoaster, mudcrutch and Benduro like this.
  20. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chafin is pretty damn useful. He's relatively lights out no matter who he's facing, righty or left batters, doesn't matter.
    Benduro likes this.