MLB - America's Pastime

Discussion in 'Sports' started by devo2002, Sep 25, 2019.

1. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I was pitching to my step son. I caught a line drive in my thigh. It gave me phlebitis. It sucked. I cannot imagine taking a line drive to the face. Good thoughts and positive vibes to Bassit for a full recovery.
    And ever since I have pitched to him from behind a screen.
    gulfcoaster and Benduro like this.
  2. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got hit in the left eye by a hit baseball at 16 , hurt like hell , the next morning it was swollen completely shut .
    gulfcoaster and Benduro like this.
  3. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was asked to warm up our star pitcher one of the first years of kid pitch. I was NOT a catcher and never wanted to be. Caught one straight in the mouth. Luckily one of the dads of my teammate was an oral surgeon with an office just down the road. I was stitched up and back at the ball park before the game was halfway over.

Edit: I never warmed up a pitcher without a face mask after that.
    devo2002 likes this.
  4. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Except it should've been a day game.

It's almost like MLB doesn't want to attract any kids to the games anymore.

So how about them Yankees? Made up a lot of ground in a month. ;)
    Benduro likes this.
  5. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I think it depends on the club. Atlanta does a great job. Kids get to run the bases after Sunday games. Kids Club members get cool swag and discounted tickets and food. I get emails for $10 tickets all the time, and getting my kids out of their Ozzie Albies shirts and socks is hard. I just wish we were closer.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  6. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who was Nolan Ryan's 5,000th strike out victim on this day in 1989 ?
  7. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Rickey Henderson on a full count...because Rickey almost always had a full count.
    Benduro and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  8. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    No love for Miggy? Hit his 500th home run yesterday.
    Benduro, gulfcoaster and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  9. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    A great accomplishment, no doubt. Sadly, I think a lot of his accomplishments are washed under the mediocrity of his team.
  10. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    A great player whose star is fading now . His career BA of 311 needs to be preserved , likely a 1st ballot inductee .
    Benduro likes this.
  11. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not talking the game day experience - they just kind of suck in terms of making it easy for kids to be fans, with the overall scheduling being a major issue. The vast majority of games, and half the weekend games are night games. All Star game at night. All the world series games at night. Even the home run derby at night. I understand the desire for prime time tv slots, but baseball has a relatively geriatric audience and has been trying to attract more viewers for a long time. Maybe make it so they're actually playing when kids are up.

As an aside, goddamn, parking at Truist park (worst name ever) really sucks, even compared to other stadiums. Jeebus. Where do you park for games?

:ksteve
  12. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Good point. I spent my youth watching Braves and Cubs games after school on TBS and WGN. If I wasn't on the field myself, I was probably watching a game. Kids these days don't get that experience. Last night my son wanted to watch the game. First pitch at 1920, bedtime is 1930. I got him through the first inning before MrsDonkeys cracked the whip shortly before 2000. Even I have trouble staying awake for west coast games. It is very different today than when we were kids.

Parking at Truist? I wouldn't really know. I'm an out of towner these days, so I park at whatever hotel I'm staying at and walk. I stayed at the Omni in May and it was worth every penny/point that I cashed in. Even if I had to walk further, I'd take it over being surrounded by soulless parking lots like in Houston. Truist and The Battery have a vibe that Fulton and Turner lacked. Hell, most stadiums these days lack a vibe/culture surrounding the stadium.
    gulfcoaster and PoundSand like this.
  13. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Yankees going for 12 in a row tomorrow. :clap I hope they can gain some ground on Tampa.

Can we please DFA Chapman? Funny comment on Twitter during his inability to find the strike zone last night; “He shouldn’t even be closing a convenience store”
    Vrode and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  14. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:

Same. And those are my favorite teams even now. Also agree with the vibe around Truist Park. It's just fun, even enjoyable for those who aren't big baseball fans. I went again about a month or so ago with a friend and his wife who aren't really baseball people, and they had just as much fun as I did. I've been to plenty of games at Fulton and Turner having grown up in Birmingham about 2 hours away. But you went to straight to the field, and straight home. It didn't have that "event" feel to it.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  15. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember sneaking small transistor radios (remember those?) with an earphone to listen to the world series games during class in H.S.
    Now I gotta plan to be up past midnight to catch a game. It's a great game but there's so much going on besides the games, that are taking waaayyy to long to play. Besides, guys making 20+mil/yr guaranteed for 5-6 yrs don't care what I think. And it shows.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  16. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Cardinals lighting it up. Braves slipping. Dodgers and Giants lighting it up. The NL is exciting this year.
  17. spin10k

spin10k Long timer

Oddometer:
    16 in a row !!!

The next big challenge will be the wild card game.

Go Cards!
  18. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    The Dodgers and Giants biggest concern is winning their division so they don't face a one game wildcard playoff with St Louis. Can you imagine having a 100 win season and not making the playoffs?
    Wa Ho Thuk and Benduro like this.
  19. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I was present for win 13-16. Disappointing for sure as a Cubs fan, but still a great weekend. Good weather, food, and beer.
    Benduro likes this.
  20. spin10k

spin10k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given the trades Cubs management made just recently, I think that's about all the fans could expect for the rest of this season.

As far as the Cards go, I don't think any fans saw this coming. And yet, it may all come to a screeching halt in the wc game - whether they play the Giants of the Dodgers, it won't be an easy game.
    Benduro, Wa Ho Thuk and gulfcoaster like this.