MLB - America's Pastime

Discussion in 'Sports' started by devo2002, Sep 25, 2019.

1. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I booked this trip and bought the tickets about a week before the trade deadline. That was my fuck up. We'll see if the Ricketts make any moves in the off season, I'm skeptical.
    Benduro, Wa Ho Thuk and spin10k like this.
  2. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Brewers are killing it too. The NL races have been fun this year.

I'd love to see a Rays/Brewers world series. I wouldn't know who to root for!
  3. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happened in baseball on this day in 1941 ?
  4. spin10k

spin10k Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess was something related to Ted Williams. I googled it, and I think that was correct.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  5. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Braves have the magic number at 3 with two more games in the series against the Phillies. I'll be staying up late this week.
    gulfcoaster and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  6. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn , was I ever wrong about the Mets :lol3

Wrong about the Angels also , how can a team with Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani be so bad ? Talk about an organization wasting talent , Trout deserves a medal for being loyal , maybe the Angels can trade them as a unit for most of a decent starting 8 , let those two have a shot at a title .

Two 100 win teams in the NL West , can't remember that ever happening before . Maybe Fernando Tatis will get traded to a team NOT in the NL West :-) , hell , send him to Oakland , he could bring them a pennant .

Condolences @Benduro , I really thought the Athletics were gonna make the playoffs , was pulling for them .

Other than a couple of disappointments , this was another good season for MLB .

How about that team in Tampa Bay , winning the AL East , always a tough task .

The Brewers woke up :clap

Tony La Russa does it again

Dusty
    gulfcoaster and Benduro like this.
  7. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ever since Bassitt got his face rearranged, our sails have been without wind. That really took it out of our team.
    Laureano getting popped for PEDs, Andrus injured, Fiers injured, Piscotty injured and now Lowrie injured...we're dead in the water.

Swept the Astros though! But the Mariners have our number, somehow.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  8. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A comedian threw the opening pitch for the Mets game on Tuesday. He did it in front of the mound (as they usually do), but when he was asked why from a reporter afterwards, he replied "I've never touched a rubber in my life".
    Benduro, Wa Ho Thuk and gulfcoaster like this.
  9. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Braves and Astros clinched last night. All that remains to be seen is who wins the NL West and the AL wild card berths.
    gulfcoaster, Wa Ho Thuk and devo2002 like this.
  10. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Astros winning 4 of 6 over the Rays was a bit of a surprise .
  11. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing an Astros vs Rays ALCS. The Astros are kind of a secondary team for me, so I want them to go deep...just not World Series against the Braves deep.

I feel like the Braves will take the Brewers, but I don't see them toppling LA or SF in a seven game series. However, if the Cards sneak in there then I can see a path for my Braves to make the World Series.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  12. OuttaMyWay

OuttaMyWay I shook his hand!!!!!1! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There’s a path. 2014 Giants
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  13. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Braves are notorious for getting hot in September, making the playoffs, then crash and burn. Hope this year won't be a repeat.
    Benduro and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  14. OuttaMyWay

OuttaMyWay I shook his hand!!!!!1! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today’s lines:
    It’s hard NOT to crash out of the playoffs. Even Giants with the best record are at
    6-1/2 to 1

4D47EE3F-A80C-4413-A87D-630D6404C573.png
    gulfcoaster and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  15. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Kershaw is really done this year the Dodgers will not be nearly as formidable .
    Benduro and gulfcoaster like this.
  16. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw the headline, didn't see details. Not good news for the Dodgers.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  17. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trayce Thompson hits a slam for the Cubs , 7 ribbees in two games on dingers .
    gulfcoaster likes this.
  18. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Great day of baseball today. All this talk of a four way tie and the Sox and the Yankees both pulled it off when it mattered most.
    chazbird and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  19. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the playoffs but usually I'm kinda of a MLB regular season lurker. But since it was such an interesting end of season I thought I'd dial it in and observe.

Went to my friends yesterday for a baseball fest. He's an extremely knowledgable aficionado and has a 60" TV, cable, etc. Usually a good time for sports.

All we had access to, for some reason, was the MLB channel.

Its just f'ing shit! Its unwatchable. Screen in screen scenes. In the middle of a game they break for 3-5 minutes to have a troika of experts pontificate bullshit instead of the game. They'll play two games at once, screen in screen. They'll change the games too, switch to another game. They have screen in screen ads, too. One series had the ads 30% larger than the game.

One game we wanted to see, screen in screen session, didn't have audio so he hooked up an app that had a Boston radio station coverage of the Sox game and listened on a "smart" device. The sound didn't synch with the visuals but whatever.

If this is the way its going to be its ruined. The MLB channel doesn't know what the hell they are doing. We got so sick of it we went outside in the garden with the radio app and smart device and listened to it there - the old fashioned way, good thing we were pretty much raised on this medium, so we could follow along. Pretty pleasant actually.

This goes beyond baseball coverage actually. There is so much of this bad media presentation throughout of our society - no wonder we don't have an attention span and don't know what's going on.

I'm only going to watch this years playoffs on "standard" cable TV, where at least they pretend they are covering a baseball game instead of presenting a Cuisinart blender full of shit.
  20. spin10k

spin10k Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll find out on Wednesday.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.