MLB - America's Pastime

Discussion in 'Sports' started by devo2002, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least so far Smoltz hasn't told us how miserable it is being a major league player .
    devo2002 and MotoChuck250 like this.
  2. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Crucial win for the Braves tonight. Losing Morton means we have to lean heavily on rookies Dylan Lee and Kyle Wright. That's not a good position to be in.
  3. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither team seems to have strong starting rotations , both managers rely on their bullpens .
    duckpotatoes, Benduro and BillsR100 like this.
  4. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Tough night for the Braves. Interesting to see the roof open at Minute Maid park. First time for a post season game in 16 years.
    Benduro and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  5. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    @Benduro Look like your team is getting a new stadium.
    Benduro and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  6. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A great lover of the sport has passed away, obit here on Arnold Hano. Below is an excerpt of his writing on the experience of being in the bleachers for "The Catch". His love of baseball began when his mother taught him to cross the street by himself because she wanted some free time for herself. Lucky for him, across the street was the Polo Grounds in upper Manhattan.
    https://nyti.ms/3bd5Itt

“Mays simply slowed down to avoid running into the wall, put his hands up in cup-like fashion, over his left shoulder, and caught the ball much like a football player catching leading passes in the end zone,” Mr. Hano wrote.

“He had turned so quickly and run so fast and truly that he made this impossible catch look — to us in the bleachers — quite ordinary.

“Mays caught the ball, and then turned and threw like some olden statue of a Greek javelin hurler, his head twisted away to the left as his right arm swept out and around.

“Off came the cap, and then Mays continued to spin around after the gigantic effort of returning the ball whence it came, and he went down flat on his belly, and out of sight. This was the throw of a giant, the throw of a howitzer made human, arriving at second base.”

[​IMG]
  7. Dick Tater

Dick Tater Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. OuttaMyWay

OuttaMyWay I shook his hand!!!!!1! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Factoid: Catchers are over represented among MLB managers. Currently, the number is 10.
  10. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:

Probably because they were on field coaches their entire career . It doesn't always work , even the great Yogi Berra struggled as a manager , but they do understand the game in a way very few ever do .
    gulfcoaster, MotoChuck250 and Benduro like this.
  11. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    Atlanta weather radar looks ok, no rain on the way tonight. (famous last words)
  12. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Braves are leaving too many runners stranded.
  13. spin10k

spin10k Long timer

Oddometer:
    gulfcoaster, Wa Ho Thuk and BillsR100 like this.
  14. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
  15. MotoChuck250

MotoChuck250 Not older than dirt

Oddometer:
    Well, Atlanta is up in the series 2-1 with home field advantage tomorrow and Sunday night.

Can the Astros drag the series back to Houston. They have to win at least 1 of the next 2.
    Benduro likes this.
  16. Benduro

Benduro L.A. face with the Oakland booty Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a fantastic game. Really enjoyed the Atlanta pitching clinic. And the hitting of D'Arnaud.
    duckpotatoes and MotoChuck250 like this.
  17. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    D'arnaud has historically been a good hitting catcher. This season has been rough with the thumb injury. I'm thrilled to see him finally getting back into a groove.

Conditions sucked last night. That was a huge advantage to the Braves. Keeping the Astros offense shutdown on a bullpen night will be tough though. They need the bats to come alive and take some pressure off the pen this weekend.
    Benduro and MotoChuck250 like this.
  18. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go Astros .

I rarely say much about umpires , but the guy behind the plate last night was about as inconsistent in calling balls and strikes as we have seen in a long time . How he made a WS crew is a mystery . He missed some calls last night by 6 inches . There was one pitch so low and inside you couldn't have hit it with a tennis racket that was called a strike . I get it , every umpire has his own strike zone , it is part of the game and something players adapt to , but this guy was not only missing obvious calls , he was also inconsistent . MLB can do better .
  19. duckpotatoes

duckpotatoes I don’t like hummus

Oddometer:
    I subscribe to this dude on YouTube. He’s entertaining.
    Had no idea, there has only been like ONE left handed catcher in the MLB since like 1945 or so. Forgot the date. Long time.
    Benduro, BillsR100 and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  20. duckpotatoes

duckpotatoes I don’t like hummus

Oddometer:
    I appreciate you calling it a fantastic game. There was a ton of strategy going on, with both teams. It’s rare to go to the ninth inning without getting a hit. The Braves were like vacuum cleaners with any balls hit in the outfield.
    But I hope today’s game has a “little more action.”
    Maybe not my favorite series I’ve ever seen.
    Benduro likes this.