1. eNewsletter Sign Up

MLB Playoffs 2019 (Now Just MLB Catch-All)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by devo2002, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Baseball is a funny game . Alex Rodriquez was supposedly the best player in the game , except Seattle then Texas traded him away and got much better the next year . Of course anyone who really understands the game knows that Ivan Rodriquez was really the best player in the game from about '98 until maybe '08 . His performance with the Marlins in '03 is almost unmatched in modern baseball , he took a decent team with young pitching to a WS title , then took an undermanned Detroit team to the brink of one in '06 . As Joe Morgan said of him , he is the best player in the game , he changes the other team's strategy , you simply don't bunt or run when Pudge was behind the plate . Hell , you never took him on coming to the plate , he would always win that battle .

Sorry , rambled there , point is , give me a great catcher , Buster Posey comes to mind when healthy , a decent staff , two bangers and a decent shortstop , I'll take on anyone .
  2. Benduro

Benduro These are my dress clothes Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, so true.

I thought we were gonna pick up our old vet, Steven Vogt but it appears we've held off.
    Same for Lucroy but we could still make a move on him.
    We have two young studs at the position now and they both look good.

This has been the quietest offseason for the A's that I can remember, and every non tender or trade we made was a good one with no criticism.
    That also rarely happens, mostly because Billy Beane is unconventional. We all howl about losing the Cespedes/ Donaldson/ Samardzjia/ Reddick type characters that are the spirit of the team.

Then a couple years later, we see that he was right.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/A-s-5-big-questions-for-spring-training-15041427.php
    Wa Ho Thuk and gulfcoaster like this.
  3. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to disparage a Puerto Rican, but minus the very likely steroids use for a while, that is.

And for those that don't know, Spinal Tap's 11 ain't got nothing on Pudge's coffee, fucking pods go to 12.

[​IMG]
  4. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    The real Pudge.

[​IMG]
    bassogap, devo2002 and Benduro like this.
  5. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Fisk!
    devo2002 and Bultaco206 like this.
  6. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fisk was great , the two Pudges shared quite a bit , both worked really hard at being the best . Fisk was probably a little better with the bat , Rodriguez had the best throwing arm and control of the area around the plate since Bench .

As for the steroids , not apologizing for any of that , but the great Mike Schmidt once stated that if they had been available in his era he probably would have used them . The only *evidence* that Ivan ever used PED's was Canseco saying he did . Sorry , if he did use them it was for a very short period of time , while the real PED Heads hat and shoe size kept getting larger . Good grief , at one time McGuire , Sosa , and Bonds started looking like science experiments :lol3 Heck , I'll bet 75% of all MLB players used steroids for a short time , either to lose or gain weight , or to heal faster from an injury . I've has steroid shots in both knees to keep them working .
  7. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not exactly the same thing.
  8. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will never know for sure, but the timeline is fishy is all....MLB decides to clamp down and enforce steroid freaks, Canseco publishes a book the same year, and magically Pudge shows up 30 pounds light for spring training.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  9. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of timelines can and do look fishy , you and I both KNOW that from other discussions :D As for Canseco , he was right about some things, and wrong about a lot of things . Remember , this is the guy who shot his finger off , then claimed it "fell off" during a poker game , and proposed to a married woman on twitter :lol3
    gulfcoaster, devo2002 and Bultaco206 like this.
  10. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, Canseco just went up in my book.
    Benduro and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  11. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez , if that is all it takes to impress you ...:D
    devo2002 likes this.
  12. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    22lbs. Not that much, really. It's practically a cliche for players to show up to spring training "in the best shape of their lives" at some point in their 30s, although plenty of others shed weight too (Gary Sanchez showed up 20lbs lighter a couple years ago (and looks lean as fuck this year too)). Hell, how much weight did CC lose that one year?

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/...his-life-spring-training-proclamation-matter/

https://www.ocregister.com/2011/02/25/russell-martin-is-the-king-of-best-shape-of-my-life/
    Wa Ho Thuk and devo2002 like this.
  13. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    Cody Bellinger unplugged. :clap

Benduro, PoundSand and devo2002 like this.
  14. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I really feel for the employee managing the Houston Astros twitter account, they're brutal.

Even Buffalo Wild Wings is getting in on the action, I can't figure out how to imbed but they tweeted a link to Man City soccer team being kicked out of the league for cheating for two years and said "THAT’S how you punish a team that cheats."

https://twitter.com/BWWings/status/1228391037678297094?s=20
    Benduro and Bultaco206 like this.
  15. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    And if Twitter is to be believed, it looks like they'll be closing all of their Houston locations soon.
    Bultaco206 and devo2002 like this.
  16. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Astros trash cans showing up for spring training.

[​IMG]
    shrineclown and Bultaco206 like this.
  17. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems we have a choice to make , summary execution for all of the people involved in the sign stealing scandal , or take a step back and realize a lot of what is being said by the talking heads is hypocritical nonsense . A read of the Bill James baseball abstract would indicate this type of stuff has been happening since the earliest beginnings of pro baseball.
  18. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Again, advanced analytics
    IS
    NOT
    THE
    SAME
    THING
    as relaying to the batter, in real time, what pitch is coming down the pipe.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  19. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    This. ^

Figuring out situational pitching, looking for a tell, or trying to look for the pitchout, steal or squeeze sign, is as old as dirt. Hell, we learned that shit in Pony League in about 1974. What the Astros did was a elaborate means of straight-up cheating. You cannot compare the two.
    Benduro likes this.
  20. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think they should do an experiment and let the Orioles use roids for a year or two and see if they can reach 500.
    devo2002, Bultaco206 and Benduro like this.