MM - $300m 10y guaranteed contract w/ a 5y BO to play Baseball for SD

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Beelzabob, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Beelzabob

Beelzabob I don't feel tardy.

Oddometer:
    I hear most of it's guaranteed as well.

We're all clearly in the wrong line of work.
  2. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Now I understand why it costs a fortune to attend a MLB game.
    local1 likes this.
  3. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can get cheap tickets to most teams. I've been to dozens of stadiums, many purchased last minute on StubHub for $10-$20. Some for $5.
    CA Stu likes this.
  4. Vrode

Vrode Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    Most MLB contracts are guaranteed money. The problem becomes, what incentive to perform is there for the athlete over 10 years? He's gonna get paid regardless (see Pablo Sandoval). Payers are pissed but owners are getting tired of paying 10 years for 3 years worth of performance.
  5. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    12 yr contract for $430 M.....Million.....

Absolutely fucking insane!!!!
    local1 likes this.
  6. bassogap

bassogap Kids in sports makes me an athletic... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even with this monster contract Trout is probably underpaid, compared to his peers. Not in dollars paid (he's leading), but in what his team gets for the money.

The last few years, free agent contracts have been priced at about $7m per point of WAR (value of a player above an average player at the same position). Mike Trout has been 1st or 2nd in the AL all but one years, and that includes leading the league his Rookie year. He's averaging just above 9pts of WAR per year. He's been 1st or 2nd in MVP voting all but one year (4th). There has never been a player that started a career like Trout has done. Never.

He's 27yo, and has 7yrs in the majors. He's led in runs scored 4x, rbi 1x, stolen bases 1x, on-base-% the last 3yrs, OPS+ 5x, etc. He's that damn good. It's silly how much better he is than his peers. Stanton hits more homeruns, but strikes out a lot and rarely walks; Machado is a cancer to every clubhouse he joins (same years as Trout, but he's on his 3rd team already, and Trout clobbers him in every statistic). And by all accounts, Trout is a nice guy and his teammates love him.

Remember this: there hasn't been a team owner in many decades, in any major sport, that lost money when selling the team. The owners make hundreds of millions of dollars (if not a billion, if they've owned long enough). Any owner that cries poverty should be told to STFU.
  7. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    And yet they go to a strip mall for a $20 handjob.
    :fpalm

Trout is underpaid?
    :imaposer
    He should go into another line of work then.....where he couldn't earn 10% of what he's getting now.
  8. bassogap

Oddometer:
    I didn't say Trout was complaining. Quite the opposite; he's been quite effusive in his thanks to the team, owners, and fans. I said by the standards owners have set in paying the other stars in the league, Trout is underpaid. He's clearly worth far more than the other players. The owners write the contracts, so fuck'em if they complain.

Owners, for the most part, are absolute cheap assholes. It's generally how you get $1B in the first place (which isn't enough, these days, to get you in the Owner's Clubhouse).
  9. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    1-5
    Worst record in baseball and worst ever start to a season for the franchise.

Home opener tonight, let's go Angels!
  10. bassogap

Oddometer:
    They ran into the hottest team, the Mariners (hard to say that with a straight face).
    CA Stu likes this.
  11. bassogap

Oddometer:
    Opposite end of the spectrum:

Chris Davis, Baltimore Orioles. In 2018, he posted the lowest batting average in the history of MLB (among players with enough plate appearances in a season to qualify). He hit a (non)whopping .168 as an everyday player, ending the season with no hits after mid-September, going 0-21 after then.

Not satisfied with that level of futility, he has lowered his game, and has started 2019 with an 0-23 streak, extending his no-hit-athon to 44 at bats. He's closing in on the longest no-hit streak in history, which is 46 at bats w/o a hit.

Why does Davis still have a job? Better yet, why is he starting every game, batting 3rd in the lineup? He signed a monster 8yr contract just 4yrs ago (23M/yr), and the Orioles are unwilling to pull him or just cut him completely. For a while, last year, they benched him "indefinitely", but it didn't last more than a couple weeks. Davis led the league in homeruns twice, but that was several years ago (just before the new contract was signed). Someone, please...explain "sunk cost" to the Orioles front office.

Last 4 yrs:
    2016 .221 38hr
    2017 .215 26hr
    2018 .168 16hr
    2019 .000 0hr

Edit/update: 0-5 today...streak is at 49 at bats w/o a hit, and is now the MLB record.
  12. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, Davis is a sunk cost. But the Otiolea are going to suck with or without him, so probably figure keep him on, since they have to pay him anyway, and save a few bucks while they tank. Hell, maybe he gets so embarrassed he quits and they save some real money.

He's a pure guess hitter now (and not a good one)- can't catch up to good fastballs, caught guessing constantly and can't hit the slow stuff.
    https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/1114194335019470849?s=19

bassogap likes this.
  13. Vrode

Vrode Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    Wow. 23M/yr for 4 more years? Unbelievable.
    These guys make so much money now they should be paying me to watch games.
  14. bassogap

Oddometer:
    Better than that...he also has a deferred-money clause in his contract, to minimize the right now impact against the team's payroll. His contract is through the 2022 season (4yrs after this season), but he then has 15yrs of $2.4M per year, long after he retires.

This isn't uncommon. Bobby Bonilla had a similar clause in his 1990s contract...he's getting $1.2M for 35yrs, from 2000 until 2035. Magic Johnson once signed a 25yr/$25M contract with the Lakers. Tom Brady has deferred a lot of his contract money, and will be paid by the Patriots long after he retires.

Chris Davis update: he didn't play today, and his team got their asses kicked anyway, 13-2.
  15. bassogap

Oddometer:
    The advertisers and networks are paying handsomely BECAUSE you watch. They're just not paying YOU.
  16. Vrode

Vrode Wait....what?

Oddometer:
    I don’t watch anymore. I love the game but millionaires don’t need my money.
    No cable, no sports channels.
  17. bassogap

Oddometer:
    Chris Davis update:
    0-1 as a pinch hitter last night
    0-3 today, though he did reach 1B on a walk

Hitless streak is now at 53 at bats w/o a hit, 0-32 this season.
  18. bassogap

Oddometer:
    Chris Davis finally got a hit today.

His 0-54 streak ended in the 1st inning of today's game, when he got a single, scoring two teammates.
  19. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ridiculous - I would have signed for HALF that.
    devo2002 likes this.
  20. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If there's a minor league farm team in your area, going to the games is always a hoot.
    dcwilcox and Vrode like this.