1. Psycho Monkey

Psycho Monkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am new here so this may have been talked about before and I just didn't find it. I was looking at the trip planning section and there is a thread there about this http://www.transamtrail.com/ It got me thinking. Has anyone done this for the individual states? Personally I would be looking for the great state of Minnesota, but would also be interested in others. I think it would be a jolly good time to crosse the state on nothing but dirt.
  2. Metallic Waste

Metallic Waste Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer:
  3. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If there were a way to view a map with only 'minimum maintenance' roads, you could have a great time. I have county maps for Benton, Sherburne, Stearns and Morrison counties. There are some fabulous min maintenance roads in Benton, Morrison and Sherburne that I know of, but you couldn't tell it from looking at the maps.

Both Benton and Morrison counties have 'roads' with full blown whoops. They are a blast on a 250exc.

There are also forest service roads in the state forests that are a blast to ride.

I would imagine that it would be pretty easy to string up an all gravel route from south to north around the middle of the state. The key would be staying in 'farm country'....

Thinking about it some more..... It would probably be possible to circle the state on gravel. The hardest part would be the Twin Cities metro, but there is still alot of gravel in the metro. So, I would think not impossible...

I figured that after I quit racing, I would explore gravel more.....

Tom B
  4. barnyard

Oddometer:
    Just to add.....

Minimum maintenance roads are different than county gravel roads. Min maintenance are just that, minimum. They do not get plowed in the winter and might only see a grader every 2nd, 3rd or 4th year. A lot of the roads are used as snowmobile trails in the winter.....

Actually..... getting a state snowmobile trail map and seeing where the trails are actually on the road would not be a bad start. Those roads are fabulous D/S roads. They get really rough in the spring and if a grader does not go through, so much the better.

Tom B
  5. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Get a DeLorme Gazetteer for MN. Shows everything from hiking trails to freeways.
  6. barnyard

Oddometer:
    I have one for Mn. I know a bunch of gravel and min maint roads. There is no way to tell which is which in the atlas.

For gravel road planning, the DeLorme gazeteer is almost worthless.

Tom B
  7. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
  8. Psycho Monkey

Oddometer:
    Barnyard, Sounds like you and I need to go for a ride! I am over in McLeod county so to the south a bit from where you are discribing. I race the Hare Scrambles and an ocasional enduro so maybe I could catchup with you there sometime. I have been watching for the min maintenance roads but there aren't a lot in my area. :cry
  9. Psycho Monkey

Oddometer:
    Great info Fast55! I think I have some planning to do. I really like the county maps. I make it a habit to grab them at gas stations or whereever I see them when out and about, but this puts them right at my fingertips. I had the goal of riding every road in the county this summer and this will make it so much easier to track.:clap :clap
  10. barnyard

Oddometer:
    I'll bet we know each other. I am a Norseman and a Paul Bunyan Forest Rider. I ride enduros (senior B) and work hare scrambles.

There's some good gravel in Mcleod and Wright counties also. I'm a UPS guy and pay attention to the roads when I am filling in for vacations.

I was thinking about leading a gravel/min maintenance road ride from St Cloud to Little Falls this summer.....

Tom B
  11. Psycho Monkey

Oddometer:
    I would be in for a ride like that. Just let me know when. Of course maybe I shouldn't invite myself...:evil
  12. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    I'd be game for a ride like that.

There are a lot of unpaved rides in the Mississippi River corridor, from Hastings on down, on both sides of the river. I know the ones within 100 miles of the Twin Cities pretty well. I don't have the detail on routes farther down, but still know quite a few good routes, especially in Houston County.

Rokklym and Hennepinboy have put together some pretty entertaining unpaved rides for the GR3 and Hiawatha BMW rallies.
  13. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    From all my research the best dirt (min maintence) roads exist in the arrowhead region, most of which can be navigated via GPS. Only drawback is fueling and your bikes tank range.
  14. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love wandering around up in there, too.
  15. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser

Oddometer:
    That's the way it's done around here :deal

See something that interests you - invite yourself along. I figure if they didn't want tag alongs they wouldn't post it on the interweb:lol3
  16. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ....and beavers, friggin' beavers!

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From NorthwoodSTOC 2007</td></tr></tbody></table>
  17. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:

Craig is still muttering under his breath.

But I forget myself. He's probably muttering right at you.
  18. beaudaddy

beaudaddy on the gravel

Oddometer:
    I will be putting together a dual sport run from the Rochester area to Snake Creek and back up through Trout Valley this spring.Over 20 miles of off road in the OHV parks and some pretty cool roads in the Whitewater valley.The route I have planned can be rode in the ditch all the way from Roch to Snake creek.I haven't ran into the sheriff riding in the ditch yet.I'm not sure if it is a definite citation.The 4-wheelers can rut up the ditches, why can we not ride them?Any interest?
  19. MeanDrLily

MeanDrLily Inappropriate dancer

Oddometer:
    Do y'all know if folks get bent out of shape if you take a KLR out on the ATV trails in MN? There are a lot more ATV trails than OHM (off-highway motorcycle) trails.

As seen here: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/typelisting.html

In particular, I'm curious about the place near Faribault, MN -- Tri-County ATV Park. It's only a few miles away from my place.
  20. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Some trails are ATV only, others are multiple use. The DNR online maps can sometimes, but not always, tell you which is which. Although I can't for the life of me figure out a rationale for barring bikes from ATV trails, while OTOH, ATVs can (and often do) trash good single track in short order. That's just one of the reasons they are called "quad scum".

The rules are a complete jumble as far as I can tell, besides which, I ride in Wisconsin more than I do in MN, and there the county forest rules can vary from county to county. The only thing I know for sure is that you are in a better bargaining position if you have a plated DS bike, which allows you to use forest roads that may be barred to ATVs.