1. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will definitely look in to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. bigjammer

bigjammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of getting my new 1190 R 2016 all sorted out and ready to go!! I will be taking it back to Larson's in Cambridge, MN. so as to get the pipe and Rottweiler intake and V1 commander set up installed plus my rack with Jeese bag's installed!! just put on the 600 smiles for the break in an ready for fresh oil and rest of goodies!! So maybe in a couple week's can hook up with some of you good people and DO SOME RIDING Ya!!
  3. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to ride early Saturday to late afternoon? Must be at church by 4 in St. Paul. I can show up dusty! Lol!

4. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

9Realms and no like this.
  5. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ride on Saturday? I left town Friday afternoon and rode down to Granite Falls on a solo one night camping trip. Got back Saturday around lunch and it was getting pretty hot and humid. Unpacked the bike, took a shower, and stayed in the AC the rest of the day :)
  6. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left early Saturday morning (8ish) and rode the Ear Popper loop in Trempeleau Co. in WI. Nice twisty route and found big sections of "N" under construction with lots of marbled gravel. Headed back on MN side out of Winona but crossed back into WI at Wabasha to ride RR51 and "O". Stockholm was a tourist clusterf*#k and couldn't get through there fast enough.
    Tiger993 likes this.
  7. MNdirt

MNdirt less than 1% juice

Oddometer:
    Gravel is finally starting to firm up out here on the western edge. The constant, heavy snows we had in March and April put things about a month behind schedule.
    Babbitt, 46moo and FirstPath like this.
  8. Nick MN

Nick MN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was down in Red Wing Saturday and Nemadjii on Sunday.
    Dirt roads were in great shape and not much dust :ricky
    MNimum, MNdirt and FirstPath like this.
  9. grunkster

grunkster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is snake creek/trout valley doable on a 1090R?
  10. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike yes bigger question is the rider, I broke ribs at trout valley last spring on my XTrainer my riding sux.

There are several youtube videos of both trails might give a better idea of what to expect.

Bring someone along to take pics and then help pickup bike:imaposer

Snake Creek on a 990.

IMHO snake creek is easier of the 2, they are only 5 miles apart so ride snake creek 1st and then do trout valley.
    LumpyOne, MNimum and El Dangeroso like this.
  11. MNimum

MNimum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap

Iffykid's right about good idea starting at Snake Creek and taking a buddy. Snake Creek is also larger so there are more options.

There are some steep ascents/descents at both with large-ish gravel/smaller stones. Going down you'll likely want to be able to drag the rear tire and going up you are going to want to keep momentum without a get-off.

My CRF250L weighs in at 340 and there've been a couple times when I needed a good rest at the top picnic table at the vid's end. Better skills would have minimized this; as would a bike with the color orange from what I'm told.

In Iffy's vid:
    - at the downed birch at 5:00 they aren't being wimps; if the bikes slide left on the trunk they will be going down a hill until they lodge against one of the trees.
    - at 8:00 begins the area that is one of the steeper portions with good example of gravel/rock. You'll want to keep speed up but also keep an eye open with the option to maneuver around the occasional larger baby heads that sometimes get washed loose. The bushes on the left obscure how steep the drop is.
    - you can see him picking his line at 8:35 and how steep it is to the left.

Iffy - excellent vid, and your riding doesn't suck.
  12. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only wish it was my vid, I just googled youtube for snakecreek and there happened to be a 990 vid so thought it might be appropriate.

And my riding sux.:p3rry:muutt
  13. MNimum

MNimum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow - I just thought that was you! I know I was eating your dust a couple years ago, I think it might have been on a Streeter led ride heading NE and into WI.

Guess I need to catch up with you on the trails again.

:lol3
  14. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might have been a Streeter ride I have done that ride several times when he has offered to lead.

Always looking for a reason to get out and ride dirt if your ever so inclined.
  15. Streeter

Streeter Has Coping Skills

Oddometer:
    I plan to lead a dual sport ride up toward Grantsberg on Sat July 7. We'll meet at the BP station in White Bear on hwy 61 and 96 at 9:30. Some deep sand and rough two tracks.
    Paul Streeter
    _lee, Fast1, Iffykid and 2 others like this.
  16. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested I have plotted a route that circumnavigates MN on mostly dirt roads. Never ridden it entirely but have done portions. Let me know and I can send you GPX files. I would love feedback on alternative roads to keep it gravel and remain interesting. Riding the western side of the state north to south will be a test of patience.
    9Realms likes this.
  17. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    you could make a slight detour near Watertown SD, over to South Shore. There is an off-road park that is free to the public sponsored by the glacial lakes motorcycle club. would probably be a welcome break from the gravel roads on that side of the state.
    Babbitt and FirstPath like this.
  18. Babbitt

Babbitt Vermin wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:

Didn't the GLMC run a dirt road rally a couple of years ago? Not the event at their off-road park just a more typical 8hr rally but mostly on gravel.
  19. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Yes, in 2014 down by council bluffs, IA
  20. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    We also do a poker run at the off-road park every year, this year it is September 23rd. Glmc.org