1. Babbitt

Babbitt Vermin wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:

Now that is some valuable information.
  2. rowdyred94

rowdyred94 Has no parade m0de Supporter

Oddometer:
    Deerwood Road was really nice and led to some roads south and west. Thanks for the inspiration. I need to figure out how to save these to a Google map so it's shareable without needing to decode GPX files.

Update: Trying out My Maps
    Babbitt likes this.
  3. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    rowdyred94 likes this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you have. Sounds like it might GPS tracks. If so, you can post them here using the Insert Picture icon in the tool bar in the window you get when you hit Reply.
    It allows you to upload an image or a .gpx file.

This is what many of us do.
  5. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That ends up crossing some rutted low spots at the Morrison county line. The last time I was through that spot, there was a pick up that had been abandoned in one of the mud holes.
    That stretch up to the 4 mile loop in Morrison county is kind of gnarly.
  6. barnyard

Oddometer:
    South of Annandale, there is some entertaining stuff. I have always wanted to work 45th St NW between Peloquin and Rhodes into a route. Sleepy road with some nice elevation changes. And if you are down that way, Oliver Ave is sort of the same.
  7. Tuna209

Tuna209 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took 38th out of Annandale after work. Turned south on Oliver Ave, very entertaining. The trees are changing and this new route home showcased them very nicely with the higher elevations on Oliver Ave.
    barnyard likes this.
  8. barnyard

Oddometer:
    There is a slough on the bottom of the hill just south of 47th St. There was a pair of swans that were nesting on the east side of the road. There used to be signs asking that people not feed them.

That area is beautiful this time of the year. The elevation changes are just enough to provide some stunning views.
  9. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Starbuck MN

KIMG2253.JPG
    dtysdalx2 and 9Realms like this.
  10. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0124.jpg

Minimum maintenance road a bit SW of Red Wing. Grosse Point Road near Hay Creek
    dtysdalx2, 9Realms, HBL and 2 others like this.
  11. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Took my wife riding there a few years ago. She ended up at the Red Wing hospital with a broken collar bone and 4 or 5 broken ribs. (She got nervous in curve and hit front break a too hard.) It is a beautiful area to ride and the hospital is first class.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode the Welch/Cannon Valley area today, Thursday. Weather and road conditions were excellent.
    I had been afraid the riding season was over.
    STRich likes this.
  13. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was at Snake Creek today with my 350. The stretch that I had trouble with on the 1090 has been widened and graded. I didn't even recognize it. You could probably drive a passenger car up it now.

The whole main loop is actually probably about as big-bike friendly as it gets as it is completely dry. The only issues would be some massive ruts where the mud holes used to be. but you can pick your way through those spots. If you've been thinking about checking it out on a big ADV bike, now is the time...:ricky
    dtysdalx2 and Tiger993 like this.
  14. Lapchik

Oddometer:
  15. naustin09

naustin09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a big loop in SE Minnesota this past Monday. 330 miles total, and about 200 of it on gravel beginning in Spring Valley.
    Left at 6:00am in the dark and got home about 3:30pm. It was my first decent ride on gravel of any real distance, and the Ducati is my first ADV bike, and I've never even had the chance to ride a real dirtbike. I have about 18 years and around 80,000 road miles on the likes of FJR, ST1300, etc.

My legs are wrecked!

Thoughts:
    1.) The gravel county roads look the same as the county blacktops, just minus the blacktop = pointless?
    2.) Marbles are no fun on a 600# bike (See above).
    3.) Yellow highlights are Minimum Maintenance Roads = 10 minutes of what I really wanted the whole ride to be.
    4.) I need to move to a different state.

Ducati MTE.jpg Ducati MTE2.jpg SE MN Route.jpg
    mnTwin, dtysdalx2 and Tiger993 like this.
  16. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride a few more gravel roads and then point that beast towards WY, CO, UT, MT, etc.
    naustin09 likes this.
  17. SGrider

SGrider I give up

Oddometer:
    Roads that get a lot of traffic get hard packed like a paved road. For me I've found that a lot of the best gravel roads to ride follow the rivers. There are a lot of fun roads to ride in the Welch/ Red Wing area and if you want a real challenge ride around Grantsberg WI, soft powdery sand that loves to swallow big ADV bikes. :lol3
    wbbnm, Tiger993 and naustin09 like this.
  18. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I resemble that remark.

[​IMG]
    naustin09, Phil8dirt and FirstPath like this.
  19. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    There are Minimum Maintenance roads all over the area you were riding; the trick is to find them.
    naustin09 likes this.
  20. naustin09

naustin09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive studied the county maps and scoured Google Earth imagery. I see a few other potentially min maintenance roads, but they are either short dead ends to nowhere, or have homes all along them, etc.

I see lots of two-track in the woods, but it’s not on the county maps, and I think it’s all farm access road and ATV trail on private land.

The two sections I highlighted were marked and had min maintenance signage, and were briefly down to two-track. Id love to do 100 miles of that and end up somewhere with good burger. Maybe up in the arrowhead?