1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do a lot of riding in the south metro down to about the Zumbro river and between the MN and MS rivers. I haven't found more than a handful of Minimum Maintenance roads, and they are only minimally rougher than the gravel ones.

There is a road east of the MN river about 5 miles north of Le Sueur that actually has a couple of switchbacks.

There are a lot of more fun roads and ATV trails in the Superior National Forest around Isabella and Finland.

Also in the Chequamegon National Forest in northern WI.
    naustin09 likes this.
  2. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Arrowhead has some very good stuff. If you want 2 track hit the Black Hills - thousands of miles of it and amazing scenery too.
    AnotherHobby and naustin09 like this.
  3. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Gravel roads around Henderson, MN aren't too bad. :thumb

That bridge from the movie Purple Rain is east of Henderson a few miles.
    naustin09 likes this.
  4. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Elevation changes measured in inches.

CORRECTION: I mistakenly read "Hutchinson", hence my smart a*# reply. I agree, Henderson has some great roads as well.
  5. Phil8dirt

Oddometer:
    Here are the Min Maint roads I know of in SE MN. There are also lots of great gravel roads that connect a lot of these Min Maint roads.

If anyone knows of Min Maint roads that I have not included, I'm sure lots of us would appreciate your shared knowledge. I realize some people like to keep their "good" tracks close, like gold, I tend to share what ever I have hoping it can help someone else enjoy the sport and area.

Attached Files:

6. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    ^^^ DAKAL ^^^ and also Sleddog [inmate here] has the TSDAT for the ride out to the hills.
    STRich and Bruincounselor like this.
  7. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    If it were that easy, we’d all be set.

The county maps don’t distinguish between gravel and minimum maintenance. You can’t really tell from imagery either. They look just like any other gravel road usually.

The only certain way I know of is to go out and find them.
  8. davepen

Oddometer:
    @Phil8dirt probably knows more of the minimum maintenance roads in SE MN than anyone outside of MNDOT.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did some riding in WI and MI this summer. I noticed that some counties have county ATV trails that make for fun riding. Is there anything like that here?

There certainly does not seem to be in the counties I ride in. There are some snowmobile route signs along a few roads, but not too useful for bikes.
  10. Phil8dirt

Oddometer:
    I doubt I did before today, and and just shared all I have in SE MN so I definitely don't now. I learnt a lot from Tom (added 1 more last weekend) and Jack this summer.
  11. Andy_A

Andy_A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    for trails try the mn dnr website as they have maps of all trail systems but almost all are north. you can download the entire system and I was able to merge it into Basecamp. It is also legal to enter tax forfeiture properties and Onx is your best bet for finding those.
    Phil8dirt and naustin09 like this.
  12. naustin09

naustin09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Good stuff. Thanks! Coffee & pie is on me!
    Phil8dirt likes this.
  13. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    There's one more along the southern side of the Zumbrota River starting in Millville, but it doesn't go through.

upload_2021-9-27_9-22-11.png
  14. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    We have ATV trails too but they're generally only open to ATV's. Some are open to off-highway motorcycles, but not many ... and they can muddy and rutted quickly.
  15. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    I'd be remiss to not mention Huntersville state forest near Nimrod, MN. While it is flat, there are many min maint forest roads there (and 58 miles of OHM trails). TCTR does a great job maintaining the area, so if you enjoy the area consider becoming a member (and then you'll also get discounts at 3-4 metro-area MC shops).

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/state_forests/sft00025.pdf
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of the DNR state forests have some fun primitive roads: Snake Creek, Trout Valley, St. Croix, Nemadji, Miller Hills, Ackley...

But you can only do about 30 miles and you have done everything. We usually do everything twice which makes for a pretty good day.
  17. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    That's a great place to ride.

223819430_10165730464895207_2665495928713908968_n.jpg 226455651_10165730465385207_7285970514367479056_n.jpg
  18. davepen

Oddometer:
    We need to start curating these in one place. I think as good a place as any is Ride with GPS. I have a premium membership now, and can use those tools to organize these. I'd be happy to take this on. All anyone else would need is a free membership to access the routes. We can discuss the details later.

What do you think?
    wbbnm likes this.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds wonderful. I will participate.

Will we uploading our tracks to some kind of Cloud site?
  20. davepen

Oddometer:
    It doesn't have to be that complicated. Posting them here, a cloud service or sending them to me via email would all work.

Even a description (address, coordinates, Plus code(s), What Three Words) of the start and end of the road is useful.