1. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I totally buried the DR650 on that one up to the axle in mud.
  2. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave, I'll keep adding what I find as well. I'm off this week riding around GRGR and likely head up a portion of the TWiAT as well.
  3. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    I've been messing with the routes/tracks I have, and creating others. Ride with GPS is pretty good, but it's not great for what I'm thinking. Google Maps is less great, and makes it hard to get data out (only KMZ/KML, as far as I know).

I the meantime, I have a GPX file that has all the previously discussed minimum maintenance roads. I will attempt to post that here later (when I'm not on my phone).
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good option might be the Central GPS Tracks forum. It is meant to be a repository for tracks based on the central states region of the USA.
    https://advrider.com/f/forums/gps-tracks-central-texas-gulf-states.39/

Cannonshot posts his big ride tracks there, at one thread/ride.

I post a lot of the tracks for my rides out west in the West forum at one thread per ride.

But it might work to have one thread for just Minnesota so it would look like a miniature version of the now-defunct GPSXchange web site.

I think there is too much chatter in this thread. It would make it hard for interested parties to actually find posts with tracks.

I can't get too excited about Ride with GPS. Maybe it is just me, but I don't believe it is a widely known web site. And the $80/year premium membership is not attractive.
  5. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    Technically, it's a very good site. It doesn't have to cost anything, though, membership is free.

Anyway, I don't think it's really designed for what I think we need. I'll look into the other options. Thanks.
  6. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google Mymaps is better for a large collections of info than regular Maps. KML/KMZ files can be converted to GPX with gpsvisualizer.com or can be directly imported into Basecamp. Thirty seconds of looking at Ride w/ GPS gives me the REVER feel. Neither of which I am experienced with.

Mymaps can also be used by multiple people at the same time (ADV Tentspace is on Mymaps).

I don't know if there's one really good way to make a seamless real time repository.
  7. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to Trout Valley today and videoed the climb up the east side. It's longer and tougher than the hill from the main camping area. There's a video of some nut doing it on a KTM 950 or 990, but I wouldn't call it big-bike friendly...

Tiger993 and Phil8dirt like this.
  8. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    What annoys me is that once you get up to the main loop, you can't bypass that hill and keep going around the loop. If there were an easy way to get up to the main loop and stay on it, it would be perfect for less skilled riders (like my son and half my aging buddies with CRF250L's and KLX250S's).
  9. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's not really worth going down there unless I am specifically wanting to try those climbs, and they closed the back half of the Snake Creek trails this summer too. Makes it hard to justify hauling the bike down there.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kind of enjoy the hill, but I ride a pretty serious dirt bike. I like to include a fair amount of stuff like that in a day's ride.

You could be a rebel and go backwards on the loop and go down the hill. Or just turn around and go backwards. Trails usually look completely different when ridden the other direction.

I have only been there on week days when there is nobody around.
  11. naustin09

naustin09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went by there on Sunday, and it was a zoo. Dozens of campers and RVs I didn't even pull into the parking area to take a look, and I wasn't planning to attempt it on the ducati anyway.
  12. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    All those campers and tents were there Saturday too, but they were mostly unoccupied. I think they leave them setup and use it as a temporary fall hunting/fishing camp.
  13. Mnrider2

Mnrider2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2whl-hoop I give you props for getting up that hill, my wife and I took our Ranger sidexside up that east hill this summer and the whole time we were going up it I was thinking how tough it would be on a bike.
    2whl-hoop likes this.
  14. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    It's not too bad if willing to put in the work and go as slow as needed and crash once or twice ... for these reasons I'm not doing that hill alone again. Unfortunately among my riding buddies there's only one who I know has the skills and bike to make it up, and one who's more than willing to try. That's too bad because the rest of the upper is a nice easy ride, my son would love it.
  15. wpward

wpward Stalker

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing I’m this one. ;)

That east climb is the very first “more serious than a gravel road” riding I did. I definitely had no idea what I was getting in to. Right where 2whl-hoop stalled the first time is where I crashed and had the 300# little red pig on my leg. Finally got it back up but didn’t know how the F I was going to get the rest of the way. Finally did though.

Like you said, it’s a nice easy ride at the top. This was the same day I drowned the bike though. I can’t remember if it was here or snake creek that that happened.
  16. wpward

wpward Stalker

Oddometer:
    It was Snake Creek. Found the pic and its geo info. And yes, the ATVers got me out with a winch. 12 oil changes later she was good as new!

6B4F1344-B4AF-4190-B3A3-265578D06DE8.jpeg
  17. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! I didn't realize you've gotten up that hill with your pig, even my lithe italian mistress found it difficult.
  18. wpward

wpward Stalker

Oddometer:
    Maybe we should take our big boned Italian mistresses up there.
  19. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    My general rule is if the ATVs have been using a bypass, I don't want to find out why. :lol3
    Phil8dirt, Tiger993 and davepen like this.
  20. wpward

wpward Stalker

Oddometer:
    Now you tell me.

“There’s a little water… how deep could it be?”

The answer was about 3.5 feet.
    Nick MN, Phil8dirt and 2whl-hoop like this.