MOA rally 2016 de-brief - short version

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by ErikMotoMan, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Great event, great vendors, great discount pricing and the best part was all the kewl dudes and dudettes. Saw many old friends, made many new friends. Hanging out with the Airheads, the Quebec club (you guys really know how to PARTEƉ!) and there was that late night golf cart ride with an unknown (to me) hottie in my lap - the tour of the Dunlop tire factory was amazing. The lay up and fitting of the tire is done entirely by skilled hands - the science of the tread compounds astounding. Several different slabs of tread were laid out for us to feel and touch. Surprisingly soft, supple and sticky.

Splurged for a set of the new GS (serrated off-road) style Ilium works highway pegs. As always, super nice quality - it's obvious these guys also make rocket parts. Snagged the last set off their display wall as they wee totally sold out! Got myself a HeLite inflating airbag vest, can't wait to not try it...if y'all get my drift - but from now on an integral part of my ATTGATT kit.
    Got an extra pair of MotoSkivvies - been enjoying those for about a year now - they really do reduce the ass-burn on those 700 mile days! Seriously good product, good folks behind. Pun intended. Picked up a set of IXS Goretex boots for about 40% off retail (note to self and others : make a list of what you want on the first day, then strike in the last hours of the event!)

Strapped a set of the new Dunlop Trailmax to my top box as my Anakees have about 1500 miles left and headed north into Ontario, Canada where I was born 57 years ago.

Border patrol was a young woman, who left her smile at home. My English is better than hers. She pointedly asked me a bunch of questions, including: Have you ever been to Canada before?
    Me, incredulous: Have I ever been to Canada before?
    Her: Yes, that was my question. Please answer!
    Me, trying not to sound too sarcastic: I was born in Canada...
    roadchick likes this.
  2. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    I feel like I was there now.
  3. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Eric, During one of my business trips to Canada many years ago, I was enroute to my in-laws in Proton Station, Ontario from Pearson in a rental car. I was late for dinner and I was, well, a bit over the posted limit of 80 KPH (I was doing about 125 KPH) northbound on Hwy 10, just south of Dundalk. I was going up a slight hill when over the top on the other side comes a local OPP. Well, I cleared the hill watching in the rear view as I saw the brake lights and the OPP preparing to stop and turn around. By this time, I was out of sight. I knew what was instore so, I slowed and pulled over to the road side. Over the hill comes the OPP with his hat on fire and siren blaring. He almost passed me waiting on the shoulder. As he rolled up, I was out of the car, standing next to the door with my license and rental papers. He got out of the car and approached with his deuty, a rookie woman OPP. She unstrapped her sidearm and I quickly asked, "Officer, your deputy there looks like she wants to shoot me. Can you please ask her to cool down. I'm not armed and I have no intention of harming anyone, especially a law enforcement officer. I'm here on business from Texas and am late getting to dinner with my in-laws".

"Are you married to a Canadian"?, he querried. "Yes sir, for 20 years".

"What part of Texas are you from"?

"Spring, Texas near Houston".

"Well, I'll be...my sister lives in Spring", he replied.

By now, the female rookie deputy was getting really itchy and had her hand on her holstered weapon. I was expecting gunfire at any moment.

I again mentioned, "Officer, deputy Smith there looks lke she's gonnal draw and fire. I don't want to be shot at the side of the road in a foreign country."

"Its OK Smith, This fella is from Texas where thare are plenty of roads with 75MPH speed limits."

He looked at my license and papers and sent me on my way while deputy Smith glared at me with a "I would shoot you just for practice 'cause I'm a mean bitch with nothing to loose" look in her eye.

I understand the need for border security. Some of those folks have bad atitudes.
    danisOTR likes this.
  4. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    When I travel to Japan (my birthplace) I'm often asked by immigration if this is my first trip to Japan or what my birthplace is even though it's printed in my passport, the same thing when I go to the Cook Islands where I was also born.
  5. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm
  6. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Jet, Are you also a citizen of New Zealand?
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always figured he was from New York or New Jersey, or perhaps Connecticut. Go figure...
  8. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Good rally. Hamburg a great town, the roundabout capitol of NY!