Moab 2018 - two old guys get crushed by heat, age and general lack of skills

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ibafran, May 30, 2018.

1. mkitchen

mkitchen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Observations from another near-dead but from the southwest. I have been to Moab twice and loved both trips and look forward to more. I do keep it very casual and since my wife rides with me, I stay on the easier trails though we have done Shafer and Long Canyon. Many of the trials are over my head and I am learning to know when to say no. I only have a few years riding bikes and less on a dual sport. I do agree that a smaller bike is a better choice but I have been put in my place watching a couple of fellows from our campground who rode Shafer with a 1200 GSA and a Tenere. But really, I think it is more fun and less wear to be on a small bike. I have ridden up there on my KLR and my KLX 400 and lean towards the 400.

Being in shape is so important yet I fear I will never reach a good level of conditioning again. I have just gotten out of the hospital for another heart surgery and am way overweight but I still want to ride. Now the trails get smoother and the routes shorter. I am really not sure what I would do if I couldn't ride at all. I guess I would read ride reports such as yours with too much envy. Great post, thanks.
    Mikey
    rongsx1100g and simbaboy like this.
  2. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    And finally, regarding 'what not to wear', the guy who collapsed due to dehydration was the guy who wore more or less correct desert/summer riding gear of a mesh jacket with armor and BMW summer riding pants. The guy who wore the Roadcrafter didn't wind up on his back getting the Saline drip. So there's that.
    JeepDawg and AZ Mark like this.
  3. Dotsdad

Dotsdad n00b

Oddometer:
    I loved your RR. I think I'm going to have to plan a trip out to Moab
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Great report Ibafran

We ride Moab, the desert and a good bit of southern Utah allot and the best combo I've found for staying cool and giving decent protection was wearing a pressure suit like a Fox Titan with a wife beater t-shirt on under it and some klim dakar pants, no jersey. The pressure suit has a mesh fabric between the pads and flows air better then any jacket I've tried. I carry a shell jacket that packs to nothing in my backpack in case the weather goes bad.
    DC950, KHVol, Pantah and 5 others like this.
  5. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    Perhaps as my last observations from this trip, I did no versification. As posted in other trip reports, there are moments on the very best trips when I am moved to compose some poetry. A great trip might have a couple or several such moments. Perhaps the Moab trip was too short? Perhaps the exertion was so great as to obviate such moments? Perhaps the exhaustion at the end of the day overrode these moments and I was too tired to be inspired while sitting at the picnic bench after dinner? After some reflection, I have decided that Moab was too beautiful and awe-some to permit my meager talent to rise to the occasion. For me, Moab approached a Maslov "Peak Experience". As great a place to play as it is, Moab does have a sacred feel to it. Thus, it didn't surprise me that Moab was nearly devoid of litter and other forms of human destruction. Everyone who gets past the tourist bus loops must feel similarly and take care not to profane the area.
    As per my habit, I brought ashes with me. There were wondrous places to scatter a pinch or two. I was so overcome with Moab that I never did remember to scatter ashes in the best places. When I did remember, I was in camp and had to do it there before I might forget to do it for the whole trip. So, my Rites were observed. It wasn't optimal but I consoled myself that I didn't forget.
    Naturally, I will continue to Q&A with anyone still interested enough for it. But I can't imagine for the moment what I might have forgot to include beyond this? If an inmate is brave enough to ask hard Qs, I will do my best to to be brave enough to reply.
    fran
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very humorous writing and serious at the same time. Yup, you'all had an adventure.

There are a lot of easy trails and roads for you to conquer if and when you have another visit.
  7. Canoeman

Canoeman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent report. Thanks for sharing. It was very entertaining and gave me some things to think about and learn from.
  8. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may have been brought up already, but in addition to hydration, old guys or anyone taking blood pressure medicines may find their bp getting low late in the day. It can get so bad you can't walk or even open your eyes from glare sensitivity for 1 - 2 hours. I usually forgo the bp meds if I see hard stuff on the daily menu in heat. Eventually I cut myself out at about 80 deg F on hard stuff.
    I also go to Moab area in March or April, which cuts the risk.

Nicely presented report here, a pleasure to read.
    KHVol likes this.
  9. Northstar Beemer

Oddometer:
    This I didn't know and perhaps guilty as charged - good to know for future mis-adventures. And I picked early May thinking we'd be ahead of the heat - foiled by global warming AGAIN!
  10. LittlePosum

LittlePosum Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer:
    Nice write up guys! Moab is an awesome place like no other. Was there in mid June a few years back. Camped on the Colorado River we got up at 4am to ride Shafer and it was already 84 degrees! I want to go back in the Spring time one of these years.
  11. Pantah

Pantah PJ Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northstar Beemer and Ibafran - Thanks for doing this report. I am glad you directed toward us older riders. I am 69 and while I was from Boston I wintered here in Scottsdale and now live here full time. As a matter of fact it is mid morning and already 100. I'd like to visit Moab, but I am not really looking for technical riding challenges. My main ride is a fairly new Honda Africa Twin but I also have a KTM690 set up for travel. It's not that fun because of the vibes and the way the motor makes power, but I am preparing it for the Alcan5000 next month because the Honda is just too big and heavy. I have ridden the KTM on a few dual sport rides but it is geared a little tall for that. I mostly used a Yamaha Wr250r for that here in AZ, but both are a bit heavy for steep rock gardens and deep sand. I have been considering a KTM EXC350 F dual sport bike to replace the 690. I'd have to lower it but my oldest son loved his. He says it is the easiest bike to ride he's had. He rode it on enduro's plus he won his class on the Mexican 1000 with it.

I get why you used the single piece riding suit. Thats why I am riding my KTM single in the Alcan. It is what I have... But I like the suggestion about using a Fox pressure suit and carrying a shell. My main jacket is a Klim Badlands Pro, but it is simply too hot for trail riding in the desert at low speeds. It vents well at 20+ though.

Hydration is a bit of a problem for me. Even on the highway and the first sign for me is leg cramps. I few tugs on my Camelbak, and they subside after about 5 minutes. I am told that warm water is the best way to stay hydrated. My sons were accomplished road racers and the paddocks are often very hot . The riders have to drink large quantities of water all day long. We would stop at the mini mart every morning and buy two 24 packs of water and leave them un-chilled in the paddock garage.

Anyway, thanks for your write up. The timing is good as my Alcan5000 approaches.
  12. Northstar Beemer

Oddometer:
    Pantah - Moab's Canyonlands area is magical and scenic, well worth doing ... but do it off season. We THOUGHT we were going off-season and would beat the heat, but were wrong. (And I've also been there on road bikes in July and seen 110 F temps, so I know how bad it can get.) But the scenery... as Fran rhapsodized.... is fantastic...that that new HBO show Westworld was largely filmed here because of the nearly surreal vistas. Don't bite off more than you can chew, pace yourself, over-hydrate and ride a smaller bike that is actually set up correctly, as properly ridden these trails require standing on the pegs with flexed knees. And at least in my case, take another refresher course on single track riding.
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  13. Northstar Beemer

Oddometer:
    Neither of us have the slightest intention of dying in an old age home, with the scent of Ben-Gay and disinfectants wafting on the breeze. I'll keep trying to improve my riding skills even as I get older. Only when I get really old will I consider taking up golf or some shit like that.
    CalamariKid and KHVol like this.