Moab for a (hot) week - July 2019 - Video!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by monstermashcash, Aug 25, 2019.

1. monstermashcash

monstermashcash Riding away from Responsibilities

Oddometer:
    I've been a lurker on advrider for a while now, so I figured I oughta finally share something of substance. Here's a little video I edited together from a recent trip to Moab this summer.

My brother had only ridden dirtbikes a handful of times, mostly in fields and a gravel road or two, so I suggested he join me this trip for a real crash course in type 2 fun. He had also never seen Moab or any of Utah; it seemed like a fitting place to take him since he recently finished his degree in Geology.

Our plan was loose - make it to Moab, find a free place to camp, and explore for about a week. I had ridden here once before but it was a brief trip that only scratched the surface so there were a few trails I had in mind. My brother would be on my trusty old 1997 Honda XR250R, I'd be riding my recently acquired 2014 KTM 690 Enduro.

1 minute trailer (for those with a short attention span)

The full 24 minute edit

Hope you guys enjoy
    weldpro, mode12, rongsx1100g and 3 others like this.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watched the trailer movie. Can't wait to watch the full length on the big TV. This looks like it's gonna be good. Course, I love riding Moab so I'm pretty sure it's gonna be good no matter what.
    simbaboy and monstermashcash like this.
  3. monstermashcash

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It looks great on big TVs, the gopro hero 5 black is a remarkably sharp little camera.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! Haven't made it to Moab or anywhere in Utah to ride yet, but it's on the near-term to do list. Enjoyed the trailer, nice job putting it together. Looking forward to watching the full video when I have a bit of time.

Really cool you were able to do that with your brother. I have the same hope for my boys when they get old enough, we'll see if my younger son wants to get into it. Great that you offered up your XR so he could ride.

Good on you for getting out there and doing it, and bringing someone into the fold. Be curious to hear more about where you camped, where you rode, etc.

Knobby side down :ricky
  5. monstermashcash

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It definitely was one for the books. I had originally planned on doing the trip solo; my brother liked to putt around on the XR but didn't really show much interest in a bigger trip til recently so I was stoked when asked if he could go.

We camped up in the La Sal national forest, which isn't too far from the actual town of Moab. It's pretty much one of the only free camping areas out there now. It's also up higher in elevation so the night time temps were perfect for camping.

As for where we rode - you'll see in the full video, I labeled most of the trails. A few classics and a few random areas we stumbled upon; it's hard to find terrain out there that isn't interesting and fun to ride no matter your pace
    liv2day likes this.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was a good video and fun to watch. I've been there several times but still haven't ridden Jackson Hole nor Kane Creek Wash. I heard the Jeep part you descended was nasty and it looked it in your video. Great stuff and thanks for sharing your video. I was just there in April/May and want to go back after watching it. My wife, not so keen on a return. She doesn't enjoy riding in the sand as much as I do. Thanks again.

Two Thumbs up on a very nice video. :thumbup:thumb
    liv2day likes this.
  7. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I needed that video. It made a crappy day much better.
    A lot looked very familiar. A lot looked enticing.
    However I couldn't the heat in July. Last spring we did 800+ miles of dirt in southern Utah. This video brought back some great memories.
    monstermashcash likes this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally remembered to go back and watch the full feature version - well done! As other inmates have commented, makes me want to throw my bike in my truck and head southeast. Fantastic terrain and it looks like you guys covered a bunch of ground.

Couple of questions if you don't mind answering - how many miles did you do overall and each day? And did you move camp based on where you were riding, or did you stay at the camp you mentioned in the other reply?

Looked to be a great mix of flowing and technical stuff, perfect.

Again, thanks for taking the time to put the video together, really makes me want to get there and ride :ricky :thumb
    monstermashcash likes this.
  9. monstermashcash

Oddometer:
    Mileage depended on the day, I think we did 130 one day but other days we only did 50 or 60. Some days we threw the bikes in the truck just to take some long road miles out of the equation (also had to get new clutch parts in town for the honda one day). We planned on camping in a few different spots but we liked our original spot in the La Sals so much that we just stayed there the whole week.
  10. Jeeper0505

Jeeper0505 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great video of some awesome trails. Kudos to your brother for tackling some pretty gnarly terrain with limited experience.
  11. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great video! You filmed many spots I have not seen before. Thanks for sharing