Moab for a noob

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by High Octane, Sep 26, 2019.

1. DoubleM

DoubleM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am 61 and did WRT this past Friday. It was the highlight of my week long trip but did wear me out. Bring lots of water!
  2. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m 61 too. I’m off to the local off road Moto part tomorrow to hopefully learn a few off road skills.
  3. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I did WRT last Monday on our WR250R's. We came in on Potash and went out Mineral Bottom. Took us 9 hours total, including slab time and breaks, 142 miles starting from the Chevron station just north of 313 and ending at the same gas station. We got our permits online the day before, and already had the annual national parks pass, so we skipped going up Schafer cliffs to the visitor center. We've done Schafer multiple times before, so decided to skip it this time, but if you've never done it, it is worth the extra time.

It was in the mid 80's, which felt really hot to us northwesterners, so we took our time and took lots of breaks. We're both in our late 50's, reasonably fit, and we were really tired by the end of it. My wife never dropped her bike, but I had a minor crash right where you exit the national park at Mineral Bottom - I was too busy trying to read the sign and not watching where I was going, and accidentally tried to cross about a 3" high ledge that was running parallel to the trail in the middle of the road. Probably going 20 mph, and the bike went over on its side so fast I didn't even know what happened. No injuries or damage, just my pride...

And as everyone else has said, bring lots of water.

20190923_105204.jpg
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    I'm a little disappointed no one has suggested Poison Spider Mesa :lol3

Hell's Revenge (slickrock) is a great warmup to get your sea legs.
    Merfman, TheDudeAbides, wbbnm and 2 others like this.
  5. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    You can't go wrong with
    1) Onion Creek
    2) Hurrah Pass to Chicken Corner and
    3) Fins N Things
    wbunt likes this.
  6. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    What's your top three or five for more enduro style riding? Spent years out there scaring the shit out of myself on mountain bikes and climbing from '89 to 2000. Figured it's time to do the same on moto but don't know whats legal.

Will be in town late October for 5-7 days and then Durango and NM for a 14 day trip.
  7. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    Sovereign trails, Poison Spider (including Gold Bar, etc), Behind the Rocks to Pritchett Canyon, then return up Kane Creek.
    Slick rock trail is always a fun lap. Good pace around an hour, but add all of Fins N Things and out an back on Porcupine for a solid half day.
    Ditch likes this.
  8. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Thank You very much!
  9. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Kane creek down and up Pritchett brings it up more in difficulty.
    Steel Bender to Flat Pass is good. Moderate trail with one decent difficult section.
  10. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Can't wait!
    1st trip was 1989 when Lin's rock shop was downtown and the climbs on Potash Rd were new and still dirty and you actually had to look to follow Slick Rock Trail. Towns a bit different now...
  11. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Did they even have the dinosaur tracks by the start of Poison Spider yet, or were those put in later?

Also, in thinking about this, one of my favorite days down there, we rode Poison Spider, Gold Bar, Golden Spike to Gemini, over to Metal Masher then 7 mile, gas at Archview and then rode all of Sovereign and Pinon Mesa (forget what is north of Sovereign). Solid 9-5 day of riding.
  12. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my kind of day. We're used to rock bashing technical suffer fests up here in New England...

Near as I can remember, they weren't there. And the only folks camping along the left side of the river below town were locals, scary ass locals at that.
  13. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the dinosaur tracks may have been laid down later...
  14. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    I just mapped this, yowza, I like the looks of it. :wink:
  15. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    How would that ride be on a 690....experienced rider.
  16. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    That's a loaded question. I used to ride my KLX650 on Poison Spider, not as easy as a lighter bike but doable. I rode with @enduro-ince and two other guys that were all on KTM640s. He cleaned everything, the other guys needed some plastic here and there. We only rode Poison Spider north on that day.
    If I were you, start at Potash Rd. If you get up through the sand and what is called the waterfall section, you top out onto the flat fast sandy road up top. The rest has similar technical sections, but if you made it that far confidently, you should be ok. I remember one decent face on Metal Masher. There are lots of choices of loops on Sovereign. Some ATV, some single track. They mark the sections that are extremely difficult. Usually tight switchbacks and a few ledges.

Maybe ride Slickrock trail first as a good trail to get comfortable on first, plus it's so much fun!
  17. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dellenbaugh Tunnel is a fun ride. Kinda off the beaten track but fairly easy with some route finding thrown in. Spring Canyon out to Hey Joe Canyon is a fairly easy ride with the exception of a couple rock piles on trail along the Green River. If you just ride down into the canyon to the river it has some of the best exposure in the area. Not for the acrophobic.

BLM 338 (on google maps) out to Spring Canyon Point (or Spring Point Canyon?) is really easy and very scenic. A detour to Secret Spire is a little rougher but easily within a noob's ability.

All these rides are northwest of Moab.
  18. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your input. I did Fins and Things and Slickrock. Both were a blast.
  19. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might also like a road loop around the LaSal mountain loop. Pretty country and no doubt changing colors this time of year.
    If you ride out to Onion creek, close by is red cliffs lodge for brunch, lunch or dinner. They have a nice comfortable spread inside or out on their deck while overlooking the CO river.
    Its a great way to recharge your batteries, take in some AC on hot days, rehydrate and do it without having to ride back into Moab where there are lines!
  20. mwatson

mwatson Haz-Mat

Oddometer:
    JUST get to Moab and start riding.. you will keep coming back for more !!!!
    HAZMat
    moab.PNG
    Skunk-Works likes this.