Moab in Feb?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by MontanaPaul, Feb 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MontanaPaul

MontanaPaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

My buddy and I planned a trip to Moab this Feb 23/24 several months ago, based on average daytime temps of 50 or so. We wanted to beat the Jeep jamboree in early March. This winter seems to be colder than most, and the daytime highs are forecast to be in the mid 30s. That's not so bad (I'm in Montana), but I've looked at some webcams today and there seems to be an unseasonable amount of snow on the ground. Sh*t.

We're noobs to Moab (well, I did a mountain bike trip there many years ago), and are planning the easy rides (Chicken corners, Gemini Bridges, Kane Ck)
    Is any inmate local to there that can give me a thumbs up or down for this coming weekend?
  2. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
  3. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    i know from a friend in Moab they had about 6" in town earlier this week. It could melt off quickly if temps warm up, just watch the north facing areas. I have rode Slickrock in February. Most of the trail would be good, but sidehilling on ice is a bit puckery at times.
  4. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Here is how the Slickrock trail looked last Friday. Lots of snow since then, with more snow in the forecast, and well below-normal temps. Doesn't look good for the next week or so. IMG_20190215_144137.jpg
    Dao1, Rossmoesis and BMgreenmt like this.
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    We are supposed to be getting 1-2 feet of snow here in Flagstaff tonight through Friday and the storm will be tracking north and east and then getting very cold for the weekend. I would double check the weather forecast in Moab. This will be the biggest storm of the season so far this winter (actually the last couple years) in the four corners.
  6. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dale. Now that you have talked about it, it will drop like 3" total. It is nice to be getting snow again in the San Juans. The funny thing is everyone is talking about how big it has been, but I think we are still right on average. Average is good though!
    FatChance likes this.
  7. capulin overdrive

capulin overdrive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We may be getting more snow to the south, but haven't been cold cold yet, and didn't get the cold that spell that a big chunk of the country got.

I'm about the same longitude as Moab in Eastern CO, and we had a 70 degree day while the north was getting -40.

So think you'll be ok.
  8. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had 8” in town yesterday but the roads have all melted off, the dirt trails have not. We have more snow forecast every PM for the next three days and low temps so I think riding through the next week is not a possibility.
    The only dirt road that is clear is Sand Flats and that’s because they plowed it yesterday, still 6-8” ofsnow up there.
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    :eekers
  10. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Might try st george if you're super desperate. Typically drier and warmer over that way, just don't plan on any exciting night life. Lol.
  11. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you aware in the high desert the daytime high last for about two hours and there's a 40 degree or more swing to the night time low. If your high is 50. Expect to wake up at 10. That can make for short riding days. At least comfortable riding days can be short.
  12. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad for riding in Moab. However, we really need the snow. Its been bone dry in the four corner for two years.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    We used to do Moab in late Feb every year, never got skunked and it was some of the best conditions of the year. We're not planning it this year which is fortunate because it doesn't look good for riding. The entire SW needs the moisture.
    Blakebird likes this.
  14. backcountrywaterboy

backcountrywaterboy Jobs fill your pockets adventures fill your soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    AC11F2CF-8471-431F-ADFD-C6437B9D704E.jpeg
  15. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    The Jeep $h!t show is always on Easter Weekend. The official name is "Easter Jeep Safari" so the date is different every year. https://www.rr4w.com/ "The 2019 Easter Jeep Safari is April 13 - 21, 2019" so don't fear postponing your trip by a week or 2 for more favorable weather. crashing on icy rocks can be pretty painful :kurt
  16. MontanaPaul

MontanaPaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks all- I figure it out from forecasts and Wx warnings. Crazy, but it seems from some posts here the moisture is welcome. We at first looked at alternatives around Mesquite, but they have snow too! We bowed to the inevitable and postponed till March 16/17. Not sure if I"ll go crazy here in MT before then, was really looking forward to an escape from the snow and cold. Thanks for all the help
  17. badge502

badge502 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a warm up for next week though, but not much of one (maybe mid 40's). It's been pretty cold and snowy this winter, compared to what its been the past couple of winters.