1. cpcf250

cpcf250 PTO

Oddometer:
    I hope this is the right place for a question on getting advice on places to ride. Anyone have suggestions for riding in and around Moab? I may spend one day over there next week. My bike is KTM 640 adventure & my brother will be on a BMW 1100GS. I have stock Saharas and he has a 60/40 tire set up. Elephant hill sounds great, but I'm not sure our bikes are too big for this ride? Other suggestions are also appreciated.
  2. Venture

Venture Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The White Rim Trail is an amazing ride in Canyonlands NP. The only tough spot I remember is an uphill climb in deep sand, but it's only about 50 feet long, so you can easily help each other up the hill. Otherwise, I'd say it's easy to moderate for a big bike like the GS.... it's plenty of fun for a big bike. If you are in Moab for a day, you need to do this ride!

Keep in mind, it is 110 miles long - it's a full day ride, so start early (although you could backtrack). It gets really hot out there, so bring lot's of water....

The GS shouldn't have an issue with the heat, not sure about the KTM. Just as a warning, on our ride we had one F650, a water cooled thumper. While the big GS had no issues, the F650 overheated.... it must have been 115F, not much shade, slow going (10-20 mph), and the F650 doesn't have a fan to help push air through the radiator - what can you expect....
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Full day? I believe the mountain bike record is under 6 hours!
  4. Davidovich650

Davidovich650 KLR-ista

Oddometer:
    The two times we did it, we got going around 9 or 10 in the morning, and got back to camp around 4 or 5 in the evening. Lot's of photo ops, pee breaks, water/grub stops, a shade stop towards the end.

White Rim Trail, Seattle2Moab 2004.
    [​IMG]
  5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    White Rim Trail is indeed an awesome ride. Just be aware though that the difficulty on a big trailie is going to depend a lot on the weather. If it's been dry, no problem. When wet things can get a lot tougher. I was out there this spring, one of the guys had a Triumph Tiger. It didn't end well :D

http://www.dm.net/~bahwolf/moab2005/moab2005-1.htm
  6. das Rider

das Rider Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer:
    I've made a couple trips to Moab for MTBs and DS riding. I would suggest you guys ride into and around Arches National Park. Besides the pavement which leads to most of the best scenic over looks there are lots of miles of dirt/sand back roads that lead to the much less traveled spots. Stop at the front gate and ask the rangers to suggest some trips within the Park. You will have a good time and bring a camera.
  7. cpcf250

cpcf250 PTO

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys. I liked the website on the White Rim trail, but the end was depressing with the demise of the Tiger! Also, good to know how greasy/slick the mud can get after rain (at least in the White Rim area). We'll definately be packing cameras becasue I'm not sure when I'll get out there again.
  8. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I second the thought on over heating. Even the gs you could over heat when you stay in first gear in 100 degree heat. Half or more of the white rim is basically first gear for 1100. I'v always wanted to do it starting at three in the morning and watching the sun come up. Good Luck.....Moab sucks :lol3