Moab Weekend Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Deano955, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Doubletrackmind and I are planning a weekend trip to Moab this October. We have agreed on the first weekend, the 7th-9th or 10th.

We will be taking the KLRs and plan on riding White Rim and all the other good stuff.

Anyone interested in coming along?

Deano
  2. Doubletrackmind

Doubletrackmind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to it. I've been out there many time with my mtn bike but never with the KLR. When I talked to Greg he sounded interested in going along for the ride but spending his days at a new frisbee golf course they built out there.
  3. Doubletrackmind

Oddometer:
    Hey Deano, We have one more rider from the ColoDualsport list.

Has Greg said anything about coming along?

I have also had some good recommendations for a place to stay. The Bowen Motel.
  4. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Another good place is the RedRock Lodge. Well, it's actually a motel with a lodge as well.

Link

It's 1 block west of the main drag and thus a little quieter. Also, lots of room for trailers and such if you tow out there. Have spent some nice times there.

Two minute walk to anywhere.

Tom
  5. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I was planning on being out there that weekend to do the white rim. My plan was to come out friday afternoon and do the white rim sat. Maybe Parts of the Kokapelli on Sunday. I would like to have company on the White Rim if Sat works for you guys. I'll probably camp but not sure. I'm on a 640 adv.

Sounds like fun!
  6. mtbh2o

mtbh2o El Dorado Hills, Ca.

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are ariving on our 1150 GS Adventure on Wed. afternoon Oct. 5 and are planning on doing the White Rim on Thurs. morning Oct. 6. Hope the weather holds up. If you decide to go a day or two early let me know.

mtbh20
  7. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Enduro-ince,
    I think that is our plan as well. Leave Littleton Friday afternoon, arrive Moab Fri. evening then White Rim Sat.

Sound good to you John? I have not heard anything from Gregg but will let ya know if and when I do. I'm not picky about rooms so you choose.
    Tom's suggestion of red Rocks Lodge looks good too.

Thanks Tom.

Deano
  8. Doubletrackmind

Oddometer:
    Heck yes Enduro-ince. looks like were up to four riders for our White Rim ride.

Image adde as a tease.

[​IMG]
  9. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Have you done the White Rim before on your Adventure? I've done it on dirt bikes and even a KLR, but an Adventure would be a handful. I've even ridden it around with someone on an airhead GS and they struggled a bit in the sandy spots and eventually caught a rock in their engine causing loss of oil.

I'm sure it could be done, just not sure how much fun it would be on a big oilhead, especially 2-up.

Tom.
  10. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Deano:

Wish I could come along, but can't make the time right now.

A few more suggestions (if you don't mind)

Breakfast: My 3 favorite places are:

The Moab Diner - Not the best food, but quick and decent. Always busy. I'm a big fan of the "Fisher Tower French Toast". On the east side of the main drag about 2 blocks south of visitor center.

Jail House Cafe - Smaller, better food. Can sit inside or outside (if it's warm
    enough). Really just a breakfast place. Better vittles for sure. Great coffee. On the main drag on the west side about 2 blocks N of the visitor center.

Red Rock Bakery - West side of main street. Great coffee/lattes, more of a bakery as well but also makes great sandwiches either to go (for the trail) or for eating in. If you're single, this is where the chicks will be. Opens early, like 6 or so.

Almost all of the cool places in Moab shut down by 11/1 with a few exceptions like the Moab Diner.

Tom
  11. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Sweet! It will be somewhat of a scouting weekend for me because I have a white rim camp spot reserved for the following weekend and I want to check out the site. Full moon birthday bash. :evil So I might go ahead and kick down for a room this time. let me know where ya decide to stay and I'll book myself a room as well. I'd invite the whole ADVRIDER (minus a couple) community to my party but your only allowed three vehicles at a site and that includes moto bikes. Lame!!!
  12. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    One more teaser

[​IMG]
  13. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    On two different occasions I've seen two up loaded gs's on the white rim. You will be fine but your wife should get the first cold beer afterworsds and a nice butt message! :evil
    The first half going clock wise is the roughest, I'd go that direction so she can have a mellow second half.
  14. mtbh2o

Oddometer:
    Our plan is to go clockwise and get an early start. I guess if we have to go slow in order to get through some of the tougher parts thats life. We have done some rides two-up and although we go down every now and then, so far it has not been a big deal. We are both looking forward to it. From Moab we are heading south to the Creel Horizons event and Copper Canyon in Mex.

Mike
  15. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Mike:

I was not trying to scare you away but merely cautioning. The White Rim is 108 miles around and only has a few areas of concern for big bikes. However, depending on how wet or dry the sandy areas are it can be a pain.

My fave is to ride it counter-clockwise and get the tough sand out of the way first. Then it's pretty easy and you would go DOWN Murhy's Hogback and not up. The rest is a scenic piece of cake.

Lunch and/or rest stop on top of Murhy's Hogback or at Musselman's Arch is worth an extra 30 minutes each.

Tom
  16. mtbh2o

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that is good Info. We are looking forward to it and can't wait to get out there.
  17. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    oH I loVe to be TeaSed!
  18. Doubletrackmind

Oddometer:
    Speaking of teasing, I'd say we should get a room. The place recommended on the Yahoo list said they have rooms with three singles in them. If the guy from the above mentioned list is going to go with us that may be a good option. That is unless you like to cuddle?

Call or pm me for details
  19. JStrom

JStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recognize that Trans-alp. Say Hi to Eric
  20. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

Whos Dave? :freaky