Moab Weekend Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Deano955, Sep 9, 2005.

1. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Ok, Im too lazy to read this whole thread -- when are people going to Moab?
  2. Doubletrackmind

Doubletrackmind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Deano and I are now trailering it out to Moab from Littleton on Friday evening the 7th of October. We plan on riding the White Rim Trail on Saturday and playing in the area on Sunday and Monday, heading home Monday evening. Enduro-ince was planning on riding the WRT on the same date so it looks like the three in his group will be joining Deano and me. There will be a few more guys from the colo dual sport yahoo list but they are on larger bikes and will probably ride seperate from us. Deano and I are staying at the Bowen Motel.

Are you interested???
  3. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, that weekend is bad for me -- I have a wedding to attend in Denver...

Well, Im only 2 hours away from Moab, so if anyone is going there anytime soon, lemme know.

Thanks.
  4. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I did it over again, same 950S minus TKC's, add Michelin Deserts, minus side cases, add tail bag for tire repair stuff. Roost. If your going to try it two up on a GS I would certainly start counter clockwise as mentioned already to rid yourself of that devilish sand early on. And that evil climb up the Hog's Back coming clock wise will be a breeze going down. And be careful. One hell of a ride with views after views.

Goss :freaky
  5. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread: Do it counter clockwise. You get the sand and tight hills out of the way early. You can then take lunch on TOP of Murphy's Hogback, then ride DOWN it. After that it's a cake walk. Then, near the end when the WRT hits the Potash Road, you just turn right and ride back to Moab. About 8 miles of dirt and then 19 of pavement before you hit 191 just north of town.

Just a thought. A KLR will be a cakewalk on the WRT if you aren't using street tires.

On the other day consider doing the Gemini Bridge trail starting at the top end (at 313) and going down. Make sure to do the turn off and the trail to Bull Run (not exact name). It's a trail that comes out (and dead ends) directly UNDER the gemini bridges. Very very cool. No problem on a KLR or such.

Maybe check into the Monitor and Merrimac loop NW of Moab as well. Lots of fun and you'll understand the names after you see the rocks.

Tom
  6. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Tom,
    Thanks for your suggestions. We will likely take the easier way around WRT. Gemini bridges huh? Sounds good to me. I have not been to Moab for 12 years. Hell, I almost forget what the place looks like.

The last time was in my turbo Saab. I have a feeling the KLR will make for a very different experience. Of course, the last time we had special brownies so there's no doubt this will be a different experience.

I'm pumped up for the trip.

Dean
  7. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I still prefer clockwise. Specially if you are starting from town. You can do what I call the real man figure 8. From town head north on 191 to Gemini Bridges road, go up that. 13-15 miles? Hit pavement for a couple miles to Shafer switchbacks, down those, Wrt, then when you hit pavement on the other side go right and down Schafer again to potash (13-15 miles of dirt) to town. This makes for another thirty miles or so of fun dirt. The first half of the wrt going clockwise is ruffer and slower. The second half has a couple steep climbs and a little sand but over all way smoother and faster, a nice way to end the day if you ask me.

BTW, it looks like I will camp and it might just be me in my group, a group of one? This is where I will camp. its about 3 miles from the top of Schaffer swithcbacks. So depending on which way you guys wnna go it will be easy to meet you. Or you pansies could cancell your room and join me. Its a camp spot you won't soon forget thats for sure. Think brownies and Scotch:evil

[​IMG]
  8. Doubletrackmind

Oddometer:
    Tempting, very, very tempting.
  9. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    That might be accurate for DTM but not for me!

I'm more of a Day Lilly.

I could be down with the camping idea for a night or 2. I'm not tempted by the scotch, but I love brownies.

Deano
  10. Doubletrackmind

Oddometer:
    And I'm the opposite. The scotch sounds great but I'll pass on the brownies. I gotta watch my figure:D
  11. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Well I know its a little early to tell, but the arches nat park weather forecast looks pretty dang good for this weekend!!! What kind of vehicle will you guys be driving over? Just need slightly high clearance to get in to the campspot. Its not a long drive in, maybe a mile, but theres one spot that would hurt a low rider type vehicle. My friend took his 88 econoline van in there no problem.
  12. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    We will be coming in a Tundra 4x4 so no worries there.

John, aka Doubletrackmind, was just at my place and we have agreed to camp for a couple of nights. I will be driving so if you wanna PM me with the camp location/directions that would be helpful. Or you can post here if ya want, I don't care.

Looking forward to it...

Dean
  13. Doubletrackmind

Oddometer:
    Ok, as it stands Deano and I will not be getting in to Moab untill late and being that the camp site was remote we will still be staying at the Bowen motel.

The meet up point for the Colo Dual Sport guys Will be the Moab Diner at 7:00am on Sat.
    Indor-ence, If you do not want to come into town you can either call me at 303 917 5751 or post a place we can meet up with you. We plan on doing the ride counterclockwise

Work number for tomorrow is 303 738 9554

Bring your camera
  14. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    Have fun you guys take pics and watch for the blizzard that's overdue.
  15. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Hey John,

Tick, tock.....
    [​IMG]