1. eNewsletter Sign Up

1. ParamotoC

ParamotoC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I was planning to ride down to COTA for GP, but seeing as that's postponed I figured instead I'd just make a camping trip out of the time. I'm staying in the Moab area for two nights and was hoping to get some insight.

I was planning on riding my KLR down and doing the White Rim trail, but I'm having some issues with the KLR so that plan may have to change. I have a versys as well that I'll probably be riding now (its way better on the freeway anyways).

Anybody with experience on the WRT think a versys could do trip? It has shinko 705 tires on it, but my biggest concern is the lack of bashguard.

Are there any other good easy rides in the area? Mostly looking for something with good views?

Thanks!
  2. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even if you only ran part of the WRT, say clockwise, you would see quite a bit. Then, you could also do the trail to Chicken Corners. Seems the Versys with fresh 705's would be suitable.
  3. ParamotoC

ParamotoC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply! From my research Gemini bridge and chicken corners both seem like good/easy options.
  4. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    For sure Gemini Bridge no problem. Continue on and hook up with Potash Road and take that DOWN and back to the pavement. Awesome views and basically fire road type stuff. WRT is do-able, but can be some tricky sections and it's a looooong ride so problems or breaks can become very problematic. Of course all these can be exponentially harder if it's wet out. Moab mud is no joke and you definitely don't want to be on it with a 500 lbs + bike......even with knobbies in my opinion. Not fun.

Killer views are all over the place to be had without doing anything gnarly. Definitely look into Gemini and Potash, not very hard and they have plenty of your typical Moab "calendar" photo opportunities, also look into Onion Creek, fire road type stuff with small creek crossings mixed in, it's a dead end but it's worth seeing (even when you coming back out), again great views, even the pavement ride to it is beautiful. Moab is a great place to be on an adventure bike since it's so big and even the pavement roads have incredible views. Ask about the current conditions on any dirt road you plan on taking, local knowledge is a big help. Have fun, and try not to max out your camera memory, happens fast because every turn seems like another incredible view. Of course the camera will never do it justice so don't forget to breath, and take in the moment.
  5. ParamotoC

ParamotoC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Responses like that make me so excited to get out there and explore! Looking at pictures and videos of stuff like gemini and potash look like the perfect stuff to be on my versys for. Definitely going to ask around and get an idea of the current conditions before I go out.
  6. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could totally do Shafer Trail and the switchbacks. Amazing views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. ParamotoC

ParamotoC Adventurer

Oddometer:

That looks amazing! I'll have to check that out for sure! Thanks
  8. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    FYI, Shaefer is part on the White Rim, either at the end or the beginning depending on what direction you choose.
  9. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    Check the weather it has been snowing and rain. It can get sloppy and slick, and flooding can close the trail. Our campsite and the trail were flooded last spring. But like the others said there is great riding all thu that area. Wouldn’t do Long Canyon on the Versys. Potash should be fine.
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey @ParamotoC
    I have attached the GPS tracks for a Potash>Shafer> Long Canyon loop I did in September 2018.

So one of those pics I posted actually shows Potash, Shafer, and White Rim all at once. There is a 3-way intersection where these roads meet. One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that White Rim requires a day-use permit to ride. This permit can be obtained no more than 24 hours in advance online or on the same day walk-in at the visitor center. Potash and Shafer intersect with White Rim, but do not require permits.

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/dayusepermits.htm

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Mr Head likes this.
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I was just messing with my track creating tool doing just that. I'm still learning to use the tool so it is slow going.
  13. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    @ParamotoC ....

Just a quick suggestion and to add upon my previous comments; here's an awesome route (thanks to @motokeith for joggin my memory), and since you mentioned Gemini Bridges:

Start with Gemini Bridges coming IN from Hwy 191 and continue to and then past Gemini Bridges till you pop out on route 313, hang a left (south) and continue south on it (it eventually turns into Grand View Point/ Island In the Sky Road) until you get to Shafer Cyn Road, head doooowwwwnnnnn Shafer Cyn Rd to Potash Road. Continue on Potash Road and past the actual Potash ponds and you'll pop out on route 279. Pavement once again and a great ride back to Moab.

This route has incredible views galore and you'll feel like you've got your moneys' worth on this route. This is easily a half day if you want it to be, or take your time and take in the views and milk it. All easy fire road stuff and pavement mixed in. I highly recommend this route, and as your first ride. It pretty much gives you the views you expected to see and then some. Definitely a good intro to Moab. You'll see a lot of rental jeeps on this route so just keep an eye out.
  14. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A really fun side trip off the Gemini Bridges road is Bull Canyon. It takes you by the lower side of the bridges (there is a hiking trail in to the base of the bridges), and dead ends in a pretty cool canyon. Some mildly rough rock climbs at the end, and lots of sand. Some pretty fun banked sandy corners. Probably not big bike friendly, but awesome on a smaller bike.
  15. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
  16. ParamotoC

ParamotoC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys are awesome! Should end up being a super fun day out there. I've taken the versys down some maintained forest service roads so this seems like it'll be a good step up to see how it handles a little bit rougher trails.

Thanks all
  17. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of doing the White Rim first then going to the Grand Canyon. Somewhat disappointed with the Grand Canyon when done in that order.
  18. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden it 3 times(the 4th next month, maybe not), drove part of it once showing the wife. That drive would give you a good taste of the WRT if you don't want to ride the whole thing. It is what @motokeith & @FJKai are talking about.

You could roll out of Moab west along 279 ashpalt(which is 20 miles of awesome)hook up on Potash Rd, make a left at Potash Rd(142)on to White Rim Rd and head out to Mussleman Arch. Walk on top of it(or don't), then turn around and come back the same way, but don't make the right on Potash Rd. Go straight, this'll lead you right up Shafer Trail. Ride Shafer a couple of times, it's pretty easy. Take a snack break about 3/4 way up, CHERISH the view.

This is from the Potash WR Rd intersection looking up Shafer,

[​IMG]

Mussleman Arch, my way of crossing it.:lol3

[​IMG]

Do not, Do not, miss Dead Horse Point State Park!! It'll be an extra $20(?)fee, the NP pass does not cover this park. The views from there are probably some of the best in the southwest!

Remember the WRT is long, plan on 140 mile range, 8-10 hours. Any of your bikes with knobs will be fine, a couple of sand sections that'll work ya. Make sure you can pick up your bike by yourself in loose sand conditions, if help is needed, just wait a few minutes someone will come along. You are in a National Park, watch your speed!! We've heard of folks getting written up for speed violation.

Does one need to really ride the whole trail to get the 'experience'? NO, but it's nice to say you've done it. But the sections we've told you about earlier will pretty much cover what you need to see/experience.

There is just tons of epicness in the Moab area! Go into Arches and hike to the iconic Delicate Arch(think license plate)very very cool hike along ridges etc,

Ignore us pirates in the foreground,

[​IMG]

Enjoy the area, remember, there is plenty of great asphalt riding in the area too!

Look forward to your report!!

**Edit: ask your questions here, our Mayor of Moab... @simbaboy

Vikingtazz, HBSURFDAD, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  19. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    sealsam likes this.
  20. fiveover

fiveover Disciple of Jesus Christ

Oddometer:
    I need to do WRT sooner than later. Thanks for the info.
    sealsam likes this.