Mobile speed cameras in NSW, and this is just NSW

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RowBust, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    FTFY
    GR8ADV likes this.
  2. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Haha! Well they do have a special limit for trucks. Why not a special one for us. Hell, apparently we're all going to kill ourselves on these silly organ donor machines anyway.
    GodSilla likes this.
  3. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or just apply common sense, and treat with contempt the laws which are used to blatently generate cash.
    Ducksbane and numbat like this.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I notice the "speed limited 100" stickers that appeared on heavy vehicles after a spate of nasty accidents have mostly disappeared and if I sit on 100 now I am regularly overtaken by (meth-fuelled?) speeding heavy vehicles. Usually with an unacceptable element of risk to myself and other road users. So much for "professional" driving standards.
    Back to the Future with road safety?
  5. MultiDV8

Oddometer:
    Only the other day my mate commented that no one flashes their lights to warn of radars any more.
    Then bugger me, yesterday as I was going to Bunnings a "Jim's Mowing" guy flashed me. Thanks Jim. :thumb:thumb
    SFCootz likes this.
  6. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Hitting someone with an axe has a fairly obvious consequence. Exceeding the "speed limit" by 10 kmh doesn't
  7. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    GodSilla and Cruz like this.
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Cooma to Nimmitabel particularly, they roar past and disappear into the distance.
    In fairness it's not just Truckies, but they are paid to drive "professionally", not like some speed-addled druggie
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    There are still a few rogue operators out west and the far north the further you get away from populated areas in Qld.
    GodSilla likes this.
  10. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Nimmity to Cooma is downhill for the most part and even quicker when they are on it.
    SFCootz and GodSilla like this.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Exactly - the consequences are not usually obvious until they occur. Then it is too late. School zones spring to mind - do you have kids or grandkids?

So in 110kph zones 120 is ok? I don't doubt some places it is, but not too many given the state of our country roads.
    Once 120 becomes normalised, apply the same logic. Now we're at 130.
    Rinse and repeat. You can see where this argument leads.

Are you seriously suggesting that the individual is the arbiter of what speed is safe in any given circumstances?
  12. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Should be the case. Lots of stupid road markings for example, like double centre lines that make no allowance for the actual situation.

Back to prima facie I say, outside built up areas.

And as Dennis notes the Hume is designed for 130 kph. The 110 limit means people drift off and reaction times increase. The advent of more and more tech like lane keeper and radar cruise means people are more likely to be tempted by their phone and reaction times get even worse, its a slippery slope we're on.

Admittedly, our drivers need proper education, like the Germans for example, not the simplistic right of passage we have now.
    a2zworks and numbat like this.
  13. Johnn

Johnn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you seriously suggesting that the individual is the arbiter of what speed is safe in any given circumstances?
    It's called driving to the conditions.
    Ron50 and BergDonk like this.
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    So you are OK with every bogan fuckwit making it up as they go? Seriously?
    Optional stop signs? Red light lottery? 100kph school zones?
    I can't believe I'm reading this crap from adults who engage in an already high-risk road activity, never mind folks with families out there.
    I don't agree with every rule, sign or road marking either but open the floodgates and where do you draw the line? And who decides?
    I struggle with the basic stupidity of this approach. Advocating such stupidity is different from frustration.
    rustl, wi11iamson and Cruz like this.
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Its about 'education' and people taking responsibility for their actions, not following a cookbook that makes no allowance for varying conditions/situations. Its not carte blanche.
    Ron50 likes this.
  16. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Well your statement falls over by the first comma, ie education and responsibility. One only has to look at the other argument going on at present with certain people in the community, and then you realise that these wack jobs are on the roads heading at you at 110kph and they don't believe science, so how the hell can we educate them when it comes to driving ? I'm not knocking what you put forward, I agree, but how to apply this in the real world ?
    Cruz, BergDonk and numbat like this.
  17. MultiDV8

Oddometer:
    This is the basis for my arguments throughout this whole thread. These wackos are out there, I see them every day, unknown driving ability and state of intoxication or mental stability, probably unlicenced as well, and they appear to avoid detection, yet the most noticeable compliance enforcement is speed cameras which are set to detect speeds only marginally over the arbitrary limit on major highways. Meanwhile the wackos go undetected.
    SFCootz likes this.
  18. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes V8 GM 92 Series twin turbo 2 stroke diesels, man they went. Hitched a lift in one one night on the Hume as a young sailor in uniform and he took us from the Wagga turnoff to the edge of Melbourne in double quick time. It was a slim line KW with two of us in the passenger seat next to this screaming diesel. There was no snoozing going on that night, we were all very focused.
    BergDonk and ktmgeoff like this.
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Your argument that speeding detection should not be enforced because we don't reinforce the other rules enough?

The lack of logic or coherence in that is mind-boggling.
    Cruz likes this.
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Fun FACT: The more incompetent a person is, the more likely that person will overestimate their own ability, and the greater the overestimation.

Good luck with your approach. Give-way is optional, 160-plus in built-up areas is common etc etc. We're talking about Australians here. ABS report from 5 years or so ago tells us that in Qld around 48% of the population is functionally illiterate and innumerate. How the f7ck do you think that will pan out when you let them off the leash?

I can't believe I'm having to spell this out but the basis of road use is acceptance of a common set of rules. What is it that you are having difficulty with exactly?:ear