Mobile speed cameras in NSW, and this is just NSW

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RowBust, Jan 12, 2021.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Common sense isn't that common in case you hadn't noticed.
  2. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need a shorter bow. My point, which I think is quite clear is that there appears to be no apparent detection of the wackos who are the ones doing most of the damage , yet there is a disproportionate emphasis on speed camera detection.
    The cynic in me says this is because speed cameras and the legislation surrounding them is watertight, they are easy and economical in terms of resources to operate and produce a good number of bookings, not to mention income.
    I estimate that my speed is checked approx 15- 20 times every week, usually on major highways where it's not possible to speed excessively most of the time due to traffic density.
    By comparison
    I was last stopped for a RBT over 5 years ago,
    I have never been stopped or subjected to a drugs test while driving. (50+years)
    I was stopped for a random mechanical test/inspection over 20 years ago.

In the normal course of driving I see a copper on the road maybe once a week yet I see wackos driving stupidly every day.
    In the last 18 months or so in Qld the road death toll has risen alarmingly, the hand wringers (including senior police officers ) are telling us that we need to make better decisions while driving while admitting that a significant number of these incidents are occurring outside of the speed camera enforcement zones. Is that all they've got FFS ?
    I suggest it is the various Government Agencies who need to make better decisions about how they enforce driver behavior.
    I don't have a basic problem with speed detection, it is the overzealous emphasis the authorities have while apparently ignoring much more serious behavior that I have a problem with.
  3. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've lived in Brisvegas for 2 years, and have never been stopped for an RBT...
  4. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Silly me; I've never noticed all those school zones on the hume, the hay plain, western qld between winton & mt isa etc. Since when is having kids a deciding factor in having an opinion about this. If ive been so reckless why isnt it reflected in the accidents i havent had? If all the statistics etc are to be believed I should be dead or left a trail of carnage in my wake; you know burning orphanages that sort of thing.
  5. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Every k over is a killa!

:lol3
  6. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    In that case been a couple of trips where I could of been done for genocide. As far as I know no towns were pillaged or burnt
  7. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    I'm typing this from the great beyond...
  8. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    The sunshine coast?
    Gone Troppo, Suncoaster and Marcusbee like this.
  9. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Actually, you tell folks to treat the laws that do get enforced with contempt.

The solution to your problem is to get the rest of the road laws enforced, e.g. actual real cops put there in marked and unmarked cars.
    As you state, cameras raise revenue, but that is in the nature of having fines as penalties. They also have a high return on investment to accountants. Real cops, on the other hand, seem very expensive in comparison on paper.
    The failure of the economic argument (which is how budgets are formed, paper exercises for accountants) is that it doesn't take into account the hospital, rehab and ongoing support costs of road trauma which far outweigh the costs of policing and fails to account for the (demonstrated) public cynicism it fosters.
    I agree there are far too many morons on the roads. Raging against the existing enforcement is a backward step, remove speeding detection and the fear of detection and what result do you expect from the general population? Better compliance?:rofl
    Cruz likes this.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    A couple of folks proposed letting road users make up their own minds how they drive-ride.
    So I asked the obvious question, how would you feel about 100kph in school zones or 160kph-plus on suburban streets, 'cos there's idiots who would do that if there was no enforcement and rules were "optional", just like running red lights and treating give-way as not a real thing.
    Your cheap shot doesn't address those things.
  12. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Who said this was OK? Not I, I said prima facie outside built up areas.
  13. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    The only "cheap shot" I've noticed thus far is the suggestion that anyone without kids is somehow morally disfunctional. I also cant recall anyone endorsing the behaviour your suggesting through school zones or suburban areas. My point has always been that speed cameras are purely a revenue tool. I've just been away for 3 months. If I'd been pulled up for speeding I would of known about it. (obviously) If I'd been pinged by a speed camera for doing 4kmh over the speed limit I wouldn't have known about till I got home & those poor orphans that I mowed down a km down the road ( apparently ) would still be dead. That is what you're stating isn't it? I dont have any real problem with marked highway popo. Before the days of camera's a group of us did a ride from Canberra to Warialda for the Saphire rally on the June long weekend in the late '80's. We must of seen a dozen marked cop cars that day &yep everyone rode accordingly. Later it was reported that it was the lowest road toll on a long weekend in NSW in X years. Guess it wasn't as profitable as the govt wanted as the use of unmarked cars increased. The impact of improved roads has probably been the greatest change in the road toll in NSW. The Hume in the 70's was a lottery & the 2 accidents on the northern Pacific highway was the only thing that prompted the govt into improving the goat track that both had become. Yass in the old days used to have a staffed trauma ward because of the carnage of caused by the road. Today your lucky to be able to get a band aid because the hospital is all but out of business. Wonder what the figures are for the pacific these days? I'm guessing a very small fraction of even 10 years ago. Those are the things that make a change, not budgeting for projected revenue increases from fines. Still haven't addressed how a lack of accidents from my "reckless behaviour" fits in with the speed kills mantra.
  14. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point that one. Last time for me was 1998 in a brand spanking new Hilux, less than 20km on the clock. Lifted shit box with tyres outside the guards in front of me drove straight thru. Used to get pulled constantly in my yoof, the plod always had a roadblock somewhere on a Saturday night pulling every bugger over and handing out canaries, I wouldn’t be a copper for all the tea in China, spent the day working in the reception area of the local yesterday and was sick of the whinging public by smoko, but I will say a bit of marked presence on the roads would go a long way to making me feel better being pinged in the mail for 5 over downhill on a 2 lane freeway on a clear day with bugger all other traffic. That’s the point Gods, nobody is advocating doing a dollar thru school zones, that’s just ludicrous, but I reckon we’d all cheer a candy car pulling over the fuckwit in the commie who’s just dropped yet another banger in our quiet street. Doesn’t happen tho does it, no money in that, no money in catching the cunt who knocked off my chainsaws, no money in prosecuting the mouth breathers who used my rental as a crack factory.
  15. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
  16. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    I've done Bris-Syd-Bris 3 times in the last 12 months - the new road is excellent. It is only Coffs that needs to be bypassed now, and I understand that is in the works.

Only about 25 years late...
  17. dirty dennis

Oddometer:
    On a bike it's dead set batshit boring. But anything bigger i.e. towing a van like we did a little couple of months ago it makes the trip a cruise. As for the Northconnex tunnel that should of been done 25 years ago as well. Ive done my last trip up Pennant Hills rd:wavebye, wont be missin' ya.
  18. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Yes - that tunnel is fantastic! No more Pacific Hwy through Turramurra.
    Idratherberiding likes this.
  19. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Just be careful - it is full of speed and phone cameras....
  20. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    So, are radar detectors illegal ?, I ask because an ad popped up with an Aussie website.