Mobile speed cameras in NSW, and this is just NSW

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RowBust, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    And if I had stayed in bed even better. Complete crap
  2. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    A certain doctor (now deceased - old age) reasoned intersections were bad places to be, so he would put his foot down through intersections reasoning that the less time he spent there the better. Few people took second rides with him. Nice chap.. but :yikes
    tomo8r and a2zworks like this.
  3. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use one in the Ute if I’m in a hurry. Bought it about 12 years ago when I lived in WA and they were legal there. Super effective. It’s a little difficult to use on a bike, as it would have to be hidden, then you wouldn’t be able to see or hear it.
    Everyone suggests putting a jack into the speaker and run a earbud or such. The trouble with that is the thing is fully enclosed with a magnesium jacket, which is why it can’t be detected.
    And if Mr Plod detects it he will get VERY emotional….
    a2zworks likes this.
  4. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    and I can change a figure & someone can say yeah but this might happen etc. The thread is about spe ed cameras & the fact is they are al about revenue. When Constance announced the ( very minor) back flip on signage there were figures about the projected revenue budgeted for over the next few years based on the latest $ & it was substantial. I think there was a footnote that the road toll was 2 higher than the corresponding time frame last year. Hows that work if going into stealth mode is all about making us safe? Why have I not had a serious accident/ killed ,maimed others over all those years ?
    numbat and BergDonk like this.
  5. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always understood the relationship between inertia and stored energy, so when driving or riding my primary focus has always been to release that energy in a controlled manner. The speed at which I store that energy has always been of secondary importance in the overall scheme. My strategy has been successful because I've never killed or maimed anyone or caused damage to my own or others property. It's not hard.
    numbat and BergDonk like this.
  6. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    The faster you travel, the less time you spend on the road, reducing your exposure and risk, obvious :hide

Then there's the suggestion that we get rid of speedos and replace them with kinetic energy meters.
    a2zworks likes this.
  7. dobbo

dobbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    we had a safety camera car position at a location where a road dropped from 60kph to 50kph for a short distance (approx 600m) then went back to 60kph, the operators of the vehicle claimed it was a 'Known Blackspot', the local towies said that they have rarely ever attended an accident in that area, other than cars pulling out into the path of on coming traffic... which was rare.
    The RMS eventually raised the speed limit of this section of road up to 60kph, to coincide with the rest of the road; since that day, I have never seen the Safety Camera Car position there since. Somehow, this cured the curse of the known 'Black spot'.

We all have different views on what 'speeding' is; my story above highlights, that we confuse 'speeding' with travelling above the 'Posted speed limit', but if that speed limit is raised and we still travel at the same speed, then are we safer or not?

Excessive speed in the wrong spot, now that is a different story; we recently had a guy done on his R1 for travelling at 170kph in an 80kph zone, within town limits, with residential driveways entering the road...... now that bloke is a fcukwit in my books.
    In the older days, for me excessive was above 240kph, but having slowed down now, I consider 100mph is my cross over point.
    RowBust and vagueout like this.
  8. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The slower I ride the more time I spend on the bike :ricky

Kinetic energy cameras would catch far more overloaded cars/trailers and trucks ....
    a2zworks and BergDonk like this.
  9. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Most of them are put away at the moment, one of mine is away in SA with me at the moment :-)
    Snoz likes this.
  10. a2zworks

Oddometer:
  11. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant permanently, they are fast and obviously dangerous so perhaps we all find something safe to do that doesn't fall foul of the law.:gerg
  12. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.

A reader of Two Wheels in the '70s?
  13. a2zworks

Oddometer:
    Rules are made to be broken, and who hasn’t, honestly.
    Some just want to be wrapped in cottonwool, and don’t ever take risks because of “What If”
    I’m sorry but I choose to live life close to where I feel alive the most close to the fast lane, as the song says ‘Only The Good Die Young’
  14. Idratherberiding

Idratherberiding my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer:
    For the most part I agree, but the small section Bulahdelah to Coolongalook is pretty ordinary for the amount of speed zone changes involved, especially compared to the rest of the new work.
    The skeptic in me thinks authorities needed a ‘catchya zone’ to retain a revenue source, but since I’m not really a skeptic that can’t possibly be right…
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  15. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    .... and don't forget Raymond Terrace south to Beresfield.
  16. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are a couple of ordinary sections, still.
  17. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's justification for more speed cameras in SEQ.

road.jpg
  18. motoxfox

motoxfox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well Im not going to rail against your headline post.......
    But what does a mobile speed camera ( movable trailer) do for
    1/ multiple vehicles travelling at 110kph Within 2-3 car lengths ov each other?
    Or more so
    2/ The Moron who in one foul go changes from the far right lane across 4lanes and into the off ramp all within (guestimate) 100metres ?

No I think theres a great case for more identifiable marked and unmarked cars on patrol.

*PS aparently the Sydney media today are reporting that the month of August '21 garnished a record $3.9M in speed camera fines in the Sydney metro area alone. All when theres a hard lock down! Hmmm
  19. tomrux

tomrux Long timer

Oddometer:
    More cameras would have to fix it, if you buy into the rhetoric we get spoon fed. Won't really help but hey they are seen to be doing something and it don't hurt the bottom line after all.

Cheers
    Tom R