MOD F800/F700/F650 (twin) GS skid plate and top rack

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by toowheels, Dec 27, 2009.

1. peekay

peekay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow Dave looks like you had a great trip. Can't wait for more pictures!!

I'm emailing you an order for the V2 skid plate as we speak. :clap
  2. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    A new customer! nice unit! cant wait to put it on the bike! well thought out....and touratech "out of stock" caused me to look around.... and this looks a lot better...Thanks Touratech for "out of stock"!:evil
  3. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave - Glad to hear you guys made it out of Bend!!! Wouldn't want to push start that KLR for month. Cool to see the Maple leaf here in Oregon.

[​IMG]

We had an out-of-control fish feed this night. Couldn't resist the tuna and swordfish which made excellent tacos the next night.

[​IMG]

Your skid pan went on beautifully in about 10 minutes. It doesn't look like this now but figured a shot of it all clean and shiny was worth it.

[​IMG]

Chimes with the center stand too.

What a relief to have those pipes properly defended.

[​IMG]

You guys are welcome here anytime!

[​IMG]

Bet those tires don't look this anymore!? :clap
  4. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Hey peekay! The V2 Skid Plates are going to be back late Friday from the powder coaters so they will be ready to ship Monday. Thanks for the order...it's headed your way soon! :D

HighTechCoonass your Top rack shipped yesterday so you'll see it early next week!! :clap Thanks!

Here's a couple more pics from the trip just in case y'all need more inspiration (unlikely)...

[​IMG]
    Spider Rock at Canyon de Chelly

[​IMG]

White House also at Canyon de Chelly...this pic was taken on the great, easy little 2 hr. hike. It's the only hike where you can get close to the cliff dwellings there without a guide.
    There is sooo much in the four corners area to see I'm sure I could spend a year there and not see it all.

Now get out there!!

Cheers,

Dave
  5. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Hey wachs!

Thanks for the positive comments on the MOD V2 Skid Plates!! Now go jump the bike like in your pics... :D (example below) We want action shots!!...maybe don't tell HOC you're gonna do it :evil
    The skid plate can take it!

[​IMG]
    The GL F8GS is orange too so slap on the Great Basin and Fandango Tank bag (the orange Giant Loop gear looks killer on the orange F8) and go crazy!

Yes the rear tire is quite worn now but it's time for some dirt tires again anyhow...that's enough slab!

...and thanks again for the hospitality in Bend...the food was fine...don't make us too welcome though, it is nice there!

Dave
  6. sarkmych

sarkmych Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 here on the top rack. Thanks Dave.
  7. toowheels

Oddometer:
    :D Awesome! Great to hear thanks Mark!

...and one last pic from the trip. I couldn't resist!

[​IMG]

We were lucky enough to spot two Bighorn Sheep went we were camped at Cottonwood Creek in the Grand Canyon. Amazing!

Dave
  8. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Mark's (www.adventuredecals.com) bike all ready to go for a trip down the West Coast and over to the Grand Canyon and then back to Vancouver.

MOD V2 Skid Plate, Tool Box, and Top Rack on board. Also a Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag is along for the trip.

[​IMG]

Speaking of Giant Loop there is a great review on their blog of the MOD V2 Skid Plate on their project F800 GS here...

http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/2010/06/giant-loops-2010-bmw-f800gs-project.html

Here is a pic too;
    [​IMG]

Check out the blog for more details.

Thanks!

Dave
  9. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon

Oddometer:
    Received and installed my skid plate. :clap

The purchase process was smooth as silk. The piece itself appears to be great quality.

Installation only took me about 5 minutes it fit perfectly. This is the most hassle free installation of any motorcycle accessory I have ever experienced.

Photos below. Looks like original equipment...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  10. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gumbeaux!!

Great to hear you like it and thanks for the review! :D

Enjoy riding your machine and we'll see you out there :ricky

Dave
  11. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Looks like we may have a couple of V2 Skid Plates in the Scratched (and not dented) "sale bin".

We had some material that was gouged from the supplier and then waterjet cut and THEN the gouges showed their face. :(:

[​IMG]
    What they are supposed to look like...

I don't know how many there are yet but it's mostly pretty minor...and certainly much less than anyone that will beat up their bike will get. :p3rry

So I'm throwing it out there to email me; dave@motooverland.com if you would like to get a V2 Skid Plate "a little rough looking" at a lower price TBD. :deal

Cheers,

Dave
  12. toowheels

Oddometer:
    I've had a lot of requests on how well the MOD F800/F650 GS Top Rack works with the Jesse Side Racks so I'm bumping this post back to the end.

Thanks!

Dave
  13. toowheels

Oddometer:
    A while ago we made a running change to a new CNC machined aluminium front bracket. We never had any problems with the original ones but we wanted to make something a little stronger to take some of the stress of an impact out of the rubber-break away engine mounts underneath, so you'd be able to finish a ride. We've never showed it before so...

Here's a pic with one of the CNC machined counter bored engine mounts that gets welded inside the bottom of the V2 Skid Plate:

[​IMG]
    Of course the bracket comes with full stainless steel hardware too.

These pieces of the big picture really demonstrate how solid the skid plate assembly is! :D

Thanks!

Dave
  14. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Update on the scratched V2 Skid Plates. There weren't many to begin with and they are all gone as of a couple of weeks ago.
    Thanks for the interest in them...hopefully we won't have any more. :eek1

We also now have stock in the V2 Skid Plates.
    They have the most protection in coverage AND construction of any F8 skid plate on the market that fits a wide variety of engine bars like: Adv-Spec, BMW, Givi, Hepco + Becker, Holan {&Pro}, SW-Motech and Touratech!

The Top Rack is also in stock too. Yes the one with more features and options than any other. :evil

Happy adventuring!! :thumb

Dave
  15. Keystone

Keystone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, got my MOD Rack and Bash plate installed. Everything fit together perfectly -- I'm using the rack for my Givi topcase and for Rotopax and I've test fit both. I think this rack holds my case tighter than any other toprack I've tried across four bikes and seven years.

If you must take a topcase through rough terrain then having a solid topcase mount is a must -- it's the stress of a topcase bobble-heading back and forth that ends up breaking stuff. Between the thickness of the metal and the welded reinforcing bracket I don't think this rack is going to break any time soon!

I do have a problem with the bash plate though -- it's much cleaner than my bike. Dave, can I exchange it for a dirtier one?

Anyway, pictures once I get it in action and scratch it up a bit. :freaky
  16. Keystone

Oddometer:
    The hardest part about installation was removing the rubber mounts from the engine casing or the old plate (I had two stay with the bike and two stay with the plate). The detentes on the plate don't hold the mounts very well so I needed to hold the opposite plate with a vise-grip and hope that the rubber was stronger than the nut's hold on the threads. It ended up being ok and I chased the threads and used a dab of anti-seize, but I'm sure I reduced the longevity of the mount a bit.

I wonder whether a small mount like that is the sort of thing that can be sourced elsewhere rather than pay BMW $50 for their mounting kit.
  17. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom!

Thanks for the great review!

It's on you to make your skid plate dirty (and scratched) we won't do it for you...and I'm sure you'll have no problem! :ricky

Did you have to remove the engine mounts from the case? Usually you wouldn't have to, except if you have ones stuck to the old plate. There's a bit of a plastic base to those mounts too as I'm sure you saw. Still not a lot to grip though.

:freaky Dave
  18. Keystone

Oddometer:
    One mount came off with the plate and three were left in the engine. I didn't like how hard they were stuck though so I cranked them out and dabbed some anti-seize on the steel threads going into the aluminum oil pan, then put loctite on the nuts holding the bash plate to the mounts to ensure there would be no rotation.

Given how hard it is to get those mounts out using their full length I sure wouldn't want to try getting what's left of them out if they were sheared off.

Overkill? Maybe. But there are some parts I want to be able to move and there are some that I don't and I like to have a choice in which are which.
  19. toowheels

Oddometer:
    Yes good thinking!
    Anti-seize them before they break cause you are right they can be a pain to remove if they break. With our CNC'd bracket (shown above) that should be a little less likely to happen too.

:freaky

Dave
  20. toowheels

Oddometer:
    The next run of F800 GS Top Racks are just going to powder coating tomorrow. They should be ready to ship late next week.

[​IMG]

I think I have emailed everyone on the waiting list but if you haven't heard from me please send me an email.

Thanks for your support too!

Dave
    dave@motooverland.com