Modoc Back Country Discovery Route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by R-dubb, Apr 14, 2006.

1. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    R-dubb are these sections signed?

What are the route numbers?

Does any one have Route 1 up the north coast?

I will add them to my SMTS file on GPS Xchange.
  3. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In preparation for the trip we got hold of the Modoc USFS map and the forest map has the CBDT route highlighted on it. We have “tuned up” the route based on the USFS map and will post the actual route when we get back from our trip in July.
  4. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gpx route from the trip. 2006 was a near record snow pack for northern California and I had trouble with snow when I road the route around the first of July. A 1.7 mile section of trail over Little Mount Hoffman on the west end and a 2.3 mile section to the Oregon boarder on the east end were under snow. I “faked in” these short sections using topo maps. Probably a good route, but un-ridden.

There are two alternate routes on the Modoc CBDT. These alternate routes bypass some of the major dirt “commuter roads” the main route follows. I have only ridden the main route but included the two alternate routes in the gpx file. The alternate routes are drawn based on the Forest Service map and “tunned up” using USGS topo maps, so the alternate route gpx tracks are notional and should be used with caution.

My pre-ride gpx track was based on the route given on Forest Service map. I ran into a problem between mile 65.4 and 67.3. The Forest Service map shows the trail hugging the edge of Lost Valley. The CBDT trail doesn’t to that, instead it follows route 44n05 over to 44n12 as given in this post-ride gpx track. See the advrider trip report for details.

Good luck on the route. The Modoc CBDT route is a fun ride.

Sat photo from the NASA rapidfire web site.
    [​IMG]