Mogollon Rim Rendezvous AMA National 2 Day Dual Sport and Adventure Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Oct 25, 2009.

1. AZuwere

AZuwere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Don and all for the hard work pulling off this great event.

Thanks to Nightstalker for the help with setting up the old Garmin 60C in the parking lot that I had to take use for the weekend. Streetpilots don't like track uploads.

"The Hill"....I haven't dumped a motorcycle since I was a teenager, some 35+ years ago. But I started Saturday by dumping it in my own campsite (geez!) and then 3 times on that damn hill. I would think twice riding my quad up that bastard let alone my 950. Thanks to the beemer guys from Tucson who came to my rescue. Disappointing to see people ride past a downed rider and not stop to help. In a sick way it was heartening to see another 950 with a much younger rider come up later and also crash. So it is not juat an old fart issue.

Note to self. Next year when they list the "B" route as OK, for adventure bikes, take the "C" route.
  2. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    I had a great time sweeping the A loops both days :D
  3. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning at the Elks, riders preparing for a long day ahead.

Tom P

[​IMG]

Big smiles!

[​IMG]

Sunday B/C sweep teams

[​IMG]
  4. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:

Hay, we met severial years ago, Trials event (your jeep was broken down on the way to the Table Mesa event)

Sorry we missed each other...

A route :patch , was there MORE rocks?

Jim
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    The morning was going by fast. We ran into some lost riders and after a quick Hilslamer clinic on rollchart use, they were back on track and on their way.

The first trouble we ran into was Z-German.

[​IMG]

He had a severe puncture to the sidewall of his tubeless tire. Repairs were well underway when we arrived.

[​IMG]

A little safety wire never hurts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    While we were waiting for the riders to get out ahead of us, Tom pulled his trusty pistol and showed us some fancy gun handling.

[​IMG]

Here's event organizer PHXMAN and Kyron at the top of the hardest B-section in dual sport history.

[​IMG]

I would have liked to take more pictures, but there was just no stopping on the big bike.

[​IMG]

A picture is worth a thousand words.

[​IMG]

Hilslamer escaping back to reality.

[​IMG]
  7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Tom was running the new tubeless dirtbike tire inserts. Unfortunately, dirt bike tires leak!

[​IMG]

Z-German still going strong on his front tire repair.

[​IMG]

The Hammer was following just behind.

[​IMG]

JD finishes the trio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Rider351

Rider351 Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    NightStalk - it was a great weekend and I enjoyed it too!
    You have me in one of the pics!
    Great event and you guys are amazing riders! Good work

Tom
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    JD on the last stream crossing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We made it back to the Elks. Z-German's patch had failed en-route, but he rode it back FLAT! He is the MAN!

[​IMG]

The Hammer and Z-German.

[​IMG]

I'm not proud to say that my life would have been much easier had I spooned on a new tire before the event. Yes, well, the powerslides were awesome!

[​IMG]
  11. rpage11

rpage11 Skip

Oddometer:
    I just want everyone to know that because of our schedules we couldn't commit to this ride until the last minute.

[​IMG]

So next year when these guys get this together and invite everyone along (200 riders), the ride really sucks. We had no fun. We were never inconvenienced, had great food, and the best time we could image. We would like to reserved space for next year if we can get the days off and know that if it sells out early we won't be happy. Thank you for such a great time. You guys did it right, thanks
    Skip
  12. Dert Gerl

Dert Gerl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's home for the weekend!

So here I am cruising at about 65 up the Beeline with all my camping gear enjoying my ride up only to get passed by the Iron Horse BMW trailer! I'm never going to hear the end of it!

[​IMG]

Garthe ready to ride Saturday morning!

[​IMG]

Johnny5 with the fake pull down background.

[​IMG]

I'll let Garthe explain this one! :D

[​IMG]

Yummm! :puke1

[​IMG]

So I saw this guy earlier in the day fixing his bike on the side of the trail. Little did I know it was with bubble gum! He definately gets a 10 for creativity! :clap

[​IMG]

And he finished the ride like this! Might want to add some bubble gum to YOUR tool pack!

[​IMG]

Have you ever seen a gas station backed up like this?

[​IMG]

Pretty funny to see! While the 800 isn't really the bike of choice for the B route ... it sure was nice to do the loop on one tank of gas!

[​IMG]

I too had my extra special go go gadget tires on for this ride!

[​IMG]

Now there's some strange wear! Apparently I don't lean my bike over much! :huh

[​IMG]

That pretty much sums it up!

[​IMG]
  13. Garthe

Oddometer:
    I saw Skip go UP a downhill :patch , in the a.m. on Saturday. Great run:bow.
  14. Garthe

Oddometer:
    I'll let Garthe explain this one! :D

[​IMG]

Ahhhh, all I'll say is, I've come much closer to understanding the plight of the short inseamed riders of the world... 'The bigger they are, the harder they fall'. :dunno
  15. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Great pictures everybody, and thanks for the one of the gas station in Young Donna, I had no idea.:eek1 I was sweeping the "A" sections and we didn't make it into Young until almost 4:00pm, by then we had the Community Center to ourselves. Although there was a little carnage out there everybody was having a great time.

On behalf of the Arizona Trail Riders I would like to thank all the participants, you guys and gals were great!!!
  16. rpage11

rpage11 Skip

Oddometer:
    That was Cathy going up the big hill in the wrong direction. She lost her tail bag and we went back to look for it. When she fell the gas cap popped off her bike and all the gas spilled out.
    There was a spot in the tail bag so we got on the computer to find it's location. when I just about got the coordinates into the GPS it moved. We knew someone had found it so we got back to the ride and a fellow rider returned it to her at dinner that evening.
  17. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    more please...:ear
  18. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Joy and I had a great time at the event! It was great to see everyone we knew and meet some new people too.

We rode to the event on Friday via Four Peaks and part of the B-loop from Jakes Corner. As we were going through town and up the 87, the right blinker was blinking too fast. No biggie, just a bulb, right? Then I looked down and saw my vent hose hanging. Hmm... Someone forgot to plug that stuff back in! I was changing carb settings earlier in the week and got distracted when I put that panel on, I guess.

A little surgery in the Four Peaks parking lot...
    [​IMG]

We thought we had the trail to ourselves, but the Ragland crew snuck up on us over Four Peaks.

On the other side you could see what I hope was a controlled burn...
    [​IMG]

Then at Jakes Corner we decided to take the B-loop backwards into Payson... by ourselves... 2-up... The first hill from the graded gravel road (last one you had to come down before Jakes Corner on Saturday) was tricky, but not too bad. When I came up on this one, I was about ready to turn around.
    [​IMG]

Married guys can relate to how it is when your wife wants you to do something... She talked me into it.
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allownetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Rides/MRR_102409/MRR_102409_03-1.flv" height="361" width="600">

A view from the top.
    [​IMG]

There was another hill that didn't look as bad, but was covered in golf ball to baseball sized rocks. We were going along fine but the rear tire started to spin a bit. We were about 2/3 of the way up when the rear wheel caught and launched the bike sideways. We ended up about 45-degrees to the trail and the bike was leaning down the hill. I could just barely hold it up with the luggage and Joy still on the back. Once we were stable I said, "okay, hop off and help me push this thing upright!" It didn't go down, but it was close. :eek1

We came up on a bit of a roadblock in the wash.
    [​IMG]

Riding the wash on Saturday was a whole different experience from Friday. Friday it was packed and mostly smooth. We had a couple of wobbles, but nothing too terrible. The rest was just nice dirt road all the way back to the 87 and into Payson.

Okay, I don't know why this video ended up in here twice, but I can't get rid of it... Doh!
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allownetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Rides/MRR_102409/MRR_102409_03-1.flv" height="361" width="600">
  19. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Anyone have shots from the "Rock Garden" Sunday? That section made Saturday's ride seem like a walk in the park.
  20. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Which one? :lol3