Mogollon Rim Rendezvous AMA National 2 Day Dual Sport and Adventure Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Oct 25, 2009.

1. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Big boulders, narrow tube, stack up of bikes, lots of bitching, lots of bikes taking dirt naps, you know the one :clap
  2. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    I don't know what you guys are talking about.:wink:
  3. airgord

airgord What am I doing out here! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That section was MADNESS!! I loved it myself but the poor guy on the BMW stuck on the left did not look happy with his situation at all. Yardstick! Dude! Major props on taking that big 990 through that section! Your wife was a huge help watching the trail and letting us know when it was clear, thank you!!
  4. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I'll put up what I have. It might be in there. :evil

Saturday we rode with AZMike and Pat (not sure of his ADV handle)...

We had a little navigation error early on. Here they are coming back.
    [​IMG]

The happy (maybe slightly nutty) couple...
    [​IMG]

The camera didn't come out much on Saturday because of all the dust. We took a little detour around the dirt section after the sand wash and before Jakes Corner since Joy and I did it Friday. We showed the video and pictures and an alternate route was suggested. :D

On some intel we had, we took another detour around "the hill". I still want to go see "the hill", but we missed it on this ride.

Further around the B-loop and some great scenery
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We tried to take the short section of B-loop that split from the B-C loop Northeast of Payson. We must have gone about halfway through it and then made a navigation error that spit us out where a bunch of people were readying paintball guns. :eek1 We pretty much knew we were on the wrong trail since there were no tire tracks. It was just too narrow to turn around and well... we like exploring! :lol3
  5. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Oh!! That section!! :lol3 I've got video! :thumb
  6. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Sunday was definitely a challenge on the B-loop. The first part wasn't too bad except that I hate rocky downhills.

Somewhere near the start...
    [​IMG]

I think Joy caught this just before I said to put the camera away and hang on again.
    [​IMG]

AZMike making his way down one of the hills
    [​IMG]

Our companions making it down ANOTHER hill (how much elevation did we lose there anyway??)
    [​IMG]

I was a little tentative at the first water crossing. It didn't look like it went anywhere. Pat forged on ahead, so we followed. And then there was that first rocky climb. The 950 clawed its way up in first without much fanfare. :clap AZMike had a little momentum issue at the bottom, but got it sorted and was up. Then Pat had a little fall, but came up shortly after Mike.

View from the top
    [​IMG]

Further down the B-loop:
    [​IMG]

We came out to the highway and saw a couple other riders. They said we had gone through the worst of the B-loop at that point. :huh We optimistically headed up the road and back to the dirt on the other side.

And then...
  7. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    We followed the GPS track off the nice graded path and hit a few rocky uphills that were decidedly more difficult than anything on the first section. At least I thought so.

We came out to the next dirt highway with a few other riders. We were all a bit confused as to where the B-route really went. It couldn't be that narrow track into the bushes, could it? Oh yes, it could! :lol3

We were skeptical about whether we should keep going. We watched the BMW 1200 GSA run through and Joy says, "You don't want to be shown up by the BMW, do you?"

So we continued up the trail and came up on the first little bottleneck.

Here it is looking back:
    [​IMG]

Joy and I took the line that we saw everyone else take. We squeezed through, but I think that's where my brake pedal made contact with the clutch cover and also turned into a shorty. BTW... anybody got a spare 950 rear brake lever? :cry

Mike took a couple of runs at the section, but it wasn't happening. It was sad to see the first scratches go into that 990. :cry We had reached the limits. He was turning around. Pat on the stock DR650 tires had about enough too.

I walked back to Joy and the 950 fully intending to turn around. It was tough and I wasn't sure how much worse it was going to get. If I see red or black lines in the GPS, I know those are paved roads. Brown lines are usually decent dirt roads. This thing was a skinny, dashed line... a hiking trail! I explained that we didn't know what the trail was going to be like, Mike and Pat were turning around and I was going to follow. She was genuinely disappointed! :lol3 She said, "I'm sure it gets easier. Look at how quick the other guys went through and we can't even hear their motors anymore. Mike and Pat will figure out that we went on ahead."

Well, alright... And up the hill we went.
    [​IMG]

And then we came up on the little stream bed with huge rocks. I had Joy get off, just in case. Sure enough, as embarassing as it is, I do fall down...
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allownetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Rides/MRR_102409/MRR_102409_175.flv" width="600" height="361">

Luckily the handlebar caught the bank and it was easy to get back up again. Just barely scratched the hand guard.

Then we got to one of the nicer parts of the trail. I could do this all day!
    [​IMG]

But just around the corner there was a bottleneck on the "rock garden" hill. The 1200 was stopped close to the top, the rider taking a break from picking up the behemoth. Two other riders were stopped on the hill behind. We came up on the scene not expecting to see anyone, but had to stop near the bottom. I had Joy get off since it was going to be a dead start on that rocky mess. The main reason for her getting off is so she doesn't get hurt if I do go down. The advantage is, she can film it!

Not the best form, but what can you do when you're starting on a narrow, rocky hill with no momentum?
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allownetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/Yardst1ck/Rides/MRR_102409/MRR_102409_185.flv" width="600" height="361">

There were some gnarly spots in the rest of that trail. I had to lift the front wheel of the 950 over the log while Joy stabilized the bike. The rear wheel just rolled over nicely. We got down the hill and onto the dirt road again, but we started thinking we should get back. We also remembered that Pat had our luggage in his truck! Doh! So we detoured back to the Elks lodge, collected our luggage at the hotel, had lunch and then headed home.

What a weekend! :thumb
  8. phxman

phxman "Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer:
    Wow! Nice pictures folks. You might think that after 4 months of riding around up there I'd get tired of the views....not :D

Thankyou to everyone who rode the event and I really appreciate all the nice comments. Having a club like the Arizona Trail Riders watching your back is a great feeling and I gotta give alot of credit to all my fellow club members who greased the wheels to make everything work as well as it did.

On the other hand I gotta take sole responsibility for things like that kinda, sorta, slightly rocky section on Sundays B route. I was warned that section might be a bit too much for the bigger bikes but not having any experience on anything above 450cc's well.........I left it in. Yardstick.....2 up through there? Are you kidding me? I think you just moved ahead of NightStalker on my "madman" list :beer

Hopefully by the end of the day everyone who cussed me will forgive me and take pride in making it through. Please:feelgood

Hey, how about those Elks! They were awesome and being able to headquarter out of their lodge sure was nice. Btw - if anyone walked away hungry or thirsty it was their own fault :D

Also a big THANKYOU to the folks in Young for welcoming us at the community center for lunch. I did not have the chance to partake in the dogs and brats chow but heard it was pretty darn good. Also understand the potatoe salad was home made and pretty tasty. :dg

And...last but certainly not least a round of applause for our sponsors who showered you guys with all kinds of goodies.
    Iron Horse BMW <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    GoAz BMW<o:p></o:p>
    Victory BMW <o:p></o:p>
    MotoHouse KTM <o:p></o:p>
    ExplorerMoto.com and Al Jesse Luggage<o:p></o:p>
    Dirt Bagz<o:p></o:p>
    matrixmotosports.com<o:p></o:p>
    PJ1<o:p></o:p>
    Down the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Street</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Art</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Gallery</st1:placeName></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
    <st1:State><st1:place>Arizona</st1:place></st1:State> Superbike <o:p></o:p>
    Helmet House <o:p></o:p>
    MotoCity KTM

Thanks again to everyone for the participation and if you have suggestions on how to make the events better just let me know.
  9. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Some of you guys and gals made the local paper, pretty cool article.

Check it out here: www.paysonroundup.com

You can see a bunch of pictures when you go to photogalleries and click on the picture of the bike. DertGerl, you're famous. :ricky
  10. airgord

airgord What am I doing out here! Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The view.[​IMG]

Darrell from Cottonwood, Mack Komnick, Jeff Pinto[​IMG]

Thank you everyone who made this happen!! When do we get to do this again?
  11. elguapo

elguapo D.F.F.D.

Oddometer:
    It was a good time.
    [​IMG]
  12. yzfcathy

yzfcathy Weeble

Oddometer:
    Riding the Rim
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    This past weekend Skip and I took our dirt bikes up to Payson to ride the Mogellon Rim Dual Sport event, put on by the Arizona Trail Riders.
    <o:p></o:p>
    We arrived into Payson in time Friday to join in on the dinner ATR arranged for us all at the Elks Lodge.
    Saturday started early, very early. It was about 45 F when we woke up. Skips bike battery wasn&#8217;t very happy about the cold and after getting it started and quitting it gave up the ghost and we were left to push start it.
    Dang, we had gotten all bundled up before leaving the hotel room and were ready to ride in the cold, but pushing this bike to get it started was making things very warm. We never did get it bump started with manpower so it was time to break out the tow strap. That did the trick.
    Next we rode to the Elks Lodge for sign in, breakfast, and the riders meeting. After cooling off a bit, from all the pushing, we enjoyed our meal and met up with some friends we would be riding with. Will, Allyn and Tom. We also ran into &#8220;Fast Phil&#8221; ( I guess he has a real name too, but I only know him as Fast). Phil is who had first mentioned this ride to us and also recommended we ride the &#8220;B&#8221; group so we could take it easy and enjoy ourselves. I believe those were his exact words. Let me just say I am very glad to have brought my KTM and not tried it on a more street oriented Dual Sport bike.
    In the first section Sat. I lost my tail bag. It had my camera and SPOT in it. No pics at all Sat for me. I discovered it MIA when we got to Jake&#8217;s Corner for fuel. Dang it. Skip and I broke off from the ride to search for the bag.
    We did some backtracking along the trail until we came to the big downhill. There were so many bikes coming down it that I decided I would try an alternate route up the side of that little mound to the right of the trail. Too bad I can&#8217;t ride uphill a little better. I almost made it, then caught a rock as I was loosing momentum and down I came. The bike fell and hit the gas cap on it&#8217;s way and it popped off like a cork at a New Years party. All my fuel was running out at a pretty good clip. I struggled to lift the bike up before every drop was on the ground.
    I think I saved about 2 cups worth, maybe. Just as well I guess. We shouldn&#8217;t have tried swimming upstream anyway. Instead of tail bag searching now I was going to head to Jake&#8217;s for fuel and regroup. So I hightailed it off that mound and didn&#8217;t stop, trying to make the gas station at Jake&#8217;s before my unknown fuel quantity was all gone.
    About a mile down from the hill I had to go on Res. I made it to Jake&#8217;s before it was all gone. I had about 1/10<SUP>th gal.</SUP> left in the tank after refueling. An inch is as good as a mile I say.
    Plan B for us now was to get an internet connection somewhere and see if we could find the bag via my SPOT. We returned to Payson and found the SPOT online. As we were putting the coord&#8217;s in to Skip&#8217;s GPS, the coord&#8217;s changed. It was moving. Awesome, that meant someone picked it up. Sweet. We&#8217;ll catch up to it later and in the meantime, resume the ride.
    We made our way to Young and met everyone for lunch, and the rest of Sat&#8217;s ride.
    When we got to Young we found Will, Allyn and Tom. Tom had some drama with a tree along the line and poked a hole in the XR&#8217;s gas tank. Tom, being the good Marine, just patched up that hole and headed out. He patched it with gum. Apparently each mouthful lasted about 20 min. So Tom chewed a lot of gum that day before finishing the ride. He made it though, the whole way, 20 min at a time. Ingenious.
    Will pealed off the B loop with his 650 and gave his poor motorcycle a much deserved C ride the rest of the day. I can hardly believe you hung in so long on the B. Nice work.
    We returned back to the hotel and checked my friend "SPOT" to see where he was, rolling into town, cool. I bet we find my tail bag too. Nice.
    Sat night we all got to catch up at the Elk&#8217;s dinner and hear all the great stories. I like to embellish a bit at times, so my little mound turned into a monster hill climb, the likes of which haven&#8217;t been seen before by man or beast. Yeah, that&#8217;s the ticket!
    I asked around Sat about my tail bag and at the Elk's lodge I guess word got out and before the night was over I had gotten it back. Thank you Marcello for carrying it all day for me.
    Sunday was even better, the route was challenging and I didn&#8217;t lose any bits, Skip&#8217;s bike started right up. We kept her warm the night before this time.
    [​IMG]-<o:p></o:p>
    Mine too, but for some reason mine decided to be hard to start Sun. Skip had to push me, but we managed to get it lit off without running behind it with all our gear on.
    Sunday was a great time, the ride was awesome, the views were great and all of us stayed together for the whole ride Allyn, Tom, Skip and me. Tom and Allyn did some sort of goop fix on the gas tank Sat night that held strong Sun. so no gum required for the XR tank.
    Although I had my camera back Sunday, I never managed to get it out for any pics. It was wrapped up pretty heavily for dust protection and whenever I reached for it I realized it would take a while to get it wrapped back up again and everyone would be gone. So I abandoned the whole idea.
    I am so glad to see that so many of you there did a much better job capturing the ride on film. Thanks to everyone posting up their pics and video&#8217;s, they are great.
    I can&#8217;t say enough about how much fun this ride was, how well organized it was, and how friendly and helpful everyone we met were.
    Many thanks to ATR, you put on one heck of a ride. I look forward to the next one.
    Cathy
  13. kbblue

kbblue mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer:
    What a great time that was. Challenging trails that wore me out. Some welcomed fire road to recover on. Great views. One or two rocks. :lol3
    Saturday on the B loop headed to Jake's Corner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looking down at Gisela from an overlook along the trail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tony on 609 between Pumpkin Ctr and Young. Didn't know who it was at the time, but caught up to his group later at the bottom of "the hill" where we had time to converse while waiting for some of the carnage to clear so we could take our shot at it.
    [​IMG]
    And Tony's buddy from Chicago who flew in to ride Tony's KLR for the event.
    [​IMG]
    The "Indian Cave" POI noted on the roll chart. This is the entrance that was only about 100 feet off the trail.
    [​IMG]
    A shot from inside looking back up at the entrance. The cave was really nice. Large, dry. High ceiling with a natural chimney. It would have been a great place to live way back. Actually, it was better then a few places I lived when I was young! :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Speaking of "the hill"... can't believe I didn't take any pictures from the bottom, or even from the middle when I walked up to scope out a line while waiting my turn (there were 6 in line and 2 on the hill when I got there). Guess I was too focused on riding it to think about pulling out the camera. Anyways, I had a great line on the bottom part, just where I wanted to be, took the small berm to the left on the turn in the middle of the hill, looked up the hill after rounding the corner to pick up my next line to the top and then lost the front end in a battle with a rock and it was over. Thanks to the guys who help me get vertical again. The rest was easy. I'm pissed I didn't make it. Gonna go back and try that bastard again some day. Here's the parking lot of bikes at the top of the hill.
    [​IMG]
    On the last fire road of the day.
    [​IMG]
    Tough seeing the corners heading into the sun.
    [​IMG]
    On the B loop Sunday morning. Rode along with Oldtimertc, DertGirl, Johnny5 and Skaife.
    [​IMG]
    DertGirl after clearing what's been called the Rock Garden. That was a tough section and we're getting worn out at this point. She gets extra bonus points for taking an F800 through that. I know it kicked my ass on my 650. It was fun in a warped, twisted, brutal sort of way, but I was glad to look at the GPS and see the terrain was leveling out.
    [​IMG]
    Somebody coming up on a small bike.
    [​IMG]
    Johnny5 and Skaife walking up after helping a rider tape up his busted clutch lever. Amazingly, the tape held together good enough that he got out of there. Wonder if it got him all the way home?!
    [​IMG]
    Skaife across the creek at the end of that section
    [​IMG]
    Then Oldtimertc
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lunch on the patio after the ride. Skaife, Oldtimertc, Johnny5 and DertGirl.
    [​IMG]
  14. Cail

Cail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Job ATR! My dad, Adam J., John Cartwright, Big Jim R.(both from Iron Horse) and I really enjoyed it. we rode B and really enjoyed the trails and the views. I didn't take many pics, but what I did take is here:

https://aztodd.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/ATRs-National-Dual-Sport-2009/10123664_ARkiC#695756373_LfofU

BTW-DertGirl got passed by a truck pulling a 25' trailer on the way up. :rofl But she redeemed herself by riding the B loop both days on a big bike.:thumb Nice job to all of you who rode the B and A loops on big bikes. I cheated and brought the 450 up as I knew this being a ATR ride that it would make the ride easier on the little bike.
  15. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Disassemble!

Oddometer:
    I took off from home Friday afternoon to camp at the Elks lodge, sleeping at ride location increases my chances of being on time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rallying the group in the morning (see, I was on time!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A bunch of hooligans riding through town
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Doesn't Donna look like she loves sandwashes?
    [​IMG]
  16. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Don't you mean "scraping up victims?" :thumb
  17. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Disassemble!

Oddometer:
    I wasn't really motivated for action shots, so I made up for it at break spots
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jim makes the best faces in pictures.
    [​IMG]
  18. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Disassemble!

Oddometer:
    Riding Sunday and some water shots (this is me skipping over my unfortunate axle bolt loss). Just a bunch of kids playing in puddles!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We picked up a couple of more riders for Sunday. Man, we always were waiting on these guys :rofl
    [​IMG]

Kurt and his personal air filter. We all could have used one this weekend!

[​IMG]

And then the rock trail and the infamous broken clutch lever. Proof that you can fix anything with duct tape
    [​IMG]

You have to admit this isn't the friendliest terrain
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hm... I wonder why Donna looks a little tired. It couldn't be the rock garden, rock wash or rock trail she just rode that petite bike through :evil
    [​IMG]

Finally the trail's at an end! There was an RV parked behind me which I'm sure many riders took as proof of salvation.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All in all a great weekend with a great group of people!

The rest of my pictures are here: LINK
  19. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    Jim makes the best faces in pictures.
    [​IMG]<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    I call that my, how many more Fuc** ROCKS do I have to ride over, face. Little did I know that the 'HILL' was right down the block :pope .

I must go on record saying that Johnny 5 was not just 'on time', but in fact, EARLY on Saturday. Sunday, :dunno .
  20. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:bow , :dunno , :loco ...:thumb