Molochnik on a solo “TAT”

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by molochnik, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hurricane Creek Road is not on anyone’s version of the TAT AFAIK. It is definitely not on Sam’s or the version of Kevin’s that I had. I forget how I even found it- I think I just saw it mentioned somewhere and looked it up. It wasn’t far off Sam’s track so I left Sam’s and went and did it for shits and giggles. Fair warning- In my opinion it is quite a bit harder than Warloop. And like Warloop it climbs going from west to east so will be much harder than going east to west. No need to even go find it.
  2. molochnik

molochnik Desperately wants the blue pill

Oddometer:
    That relieves a little stress. I’ve got Kevin’s TAT...wounldnt surprise me if it’s a red option but I’ve been staying with green and blue since my time is growing short.
    Thanks for the clarification!
  3. molochnik

Oddometer:
    Had my first significant water crossing this morning. It went much better than the one on the Mojave Road.

Attached Files:

motocopter, liv2day, i4bikes and 5 others like this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to quote this, made me laugh my ass off when reading :thumb

Catching up after being off-grid over the weekend, looking forward to seeing what you've gotten yourself into - and out of :ricky
  5. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woof, that sucks. Probably wouldn't be as tough if it were dry, but wet clay and loose rock blows. Glad you didn't puncture a case, that trail-side fix isn't any fun at all.

Good on you for pushing through through, especially all on your onesies. And I'm glad there wasn't a body in the carpet roll and the shirtless dude didn't mess with you.

Always an adventure, huh.
    Mrs. Molochnik likes this.
  6. BlueFargo

BlueFargo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m enjoying catching up on your report. We rode the TAT east to west last year but we also hit the CO passes on August 25th - exactly a year before you. I completely agree that the loose, flat rock on Ophir pass (going downhill for us) was the most unsettling part of the CO passes. In the video below (22:02) you can hear the loose rocks sliding around under my tires. It was only after our trip that we read on the COBDR webpage that there had been a rock slide making it more difficult. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us and hope you enjoy the rest of your ride.

Mike

https://ridebdr.com/news/cobdr-ophir-pass-rock-slide/

Mrs. Molochnik, rjnutt and Amphib like this.
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Molochnik you'll be fine if you take the MABDR once in VA, it's one of the easiest BDRs and big bike friendly, though if you need to make up lots of time not sure how much time you'll gain doing that.
  8. molochnik

Oddometer:
    The temperature is perfect here in Memphis. They take it a little easier here; no coffee until 6:30.
    On my way into Oark a day or two ago, I was talking to a dude on a Super Glide who pulled into an overlook behind me. He told me about how Arkansas has invested quite a bit into infrastructure and that the road we were riding on was dirt just a couple years ago.
    Lest I sound like a malcontent, I realize things change. Not to call out Kevin, I say again that things change. The route I have is marked as a 2016 release so I’ll presume that the majority of the roads, yesterday, were dirt at the time of release. Frankly I’m impressed with whoever scouted the route going on that presumption. Many had fresh oil and chip laid down and they did a beautiful job of grading and rolling.
    All of that said, section 17 was approximately 70% pavement. As I often use as an excuse- I’m a road racer so the surface wasn’t a problem as much as the meandering I presume was necessary to remain on dirt.
    The pics I took of the water crossing in the morning were really the only notable place to document.
    iatethepeach likes this.
  9. molochnik

Oddometer:
    I finished the section in about 5 hours when I arrived in Beebe.
    I spoke with Mrs M who is always good for using the Socratic Method for working out quandaries. The land was flattering out again and I am beginning to balk at spending money on hotels just to buzz around on well maintained back roads; spending 5 hours to hardly move across the map.
    It is possible I might have missed something cool but I have to expedite this trip if I am to have any time with the barn cats and make it back to CA.
    I’m well aware that this has taken longer than I expected and perhaps longer than most riders take. That’s my fault...and Mustafa’s for holding me up in Wichita (although I do love Kansas).
    dano619 likes this.
  10. molochnik

Oddometer:
    So I’ve decided to head straight into Knoxville and pick up the trail north from there.
    I’ve ridden Deal’s Gap more times than I can remember and a DR with a blown shock will only be tedious.
    Arkansas is really nice and I think I saw just as much of it on the state roads from Beebe to I 40. I recommend the route (TAT) for anyone who would like to take a ride through rural Arkansas.
    But my time draws short so I have to make choices, for good or ill.
    Amphib and i4bikes like this.
  11. molochnik

Oddometer:
    Glad you’re enjoying my write-up. I would need a real “granny gear “ to attempt to climb that again. Too heavy on the bike and too out of shape myself to do it feet up with enough momentum.

I got about 8 minutes in this morning. I’m gonna watch the rest when I’m more awake.
    You guys did a nice job with the video.
    I dunno if I’d rather climb or descend that section or Ophir. I think it’s brutal either way.

I don’t have the MABDR . I asked somewhere if anyone knew if Kevin’s NYC spur followed it but I haven’t gotten a reply that I have *seen*.
    Section 17 is big bike friendly; again I recommend it but it’s a lot of riding around to a short distance with only one challenge worth mentioning.
    I’m fairly familiar with the I 81 corridor from my trips to Deal’s Gap and/or Road Atlanta from my WERA days. Also did BRP and Skyline Drive but the speed limits were painfully low.
    The MABDR is probably a good idea. I just don’t have the tech rig to download it and get it on the Garmin.
    BlueFargo and Amphib like this.
  12. molochnik

Oddometer:
    I CAN say that anyone thinking of driving for Walmart could expect to be in a nice new cornbinder with an air conditioned sleeper. Nice pretty trucks getting delivered somewhere.
  13. molochnik

Oddometer:
    Taking way too long to get going

Attached Files:

Mrs. Molochnik likes this.
  14. DCrider

Oddometer:
    From GPS Kevin website it appears his main blue route is the "original" MABDR route put together by the Team that does all the BDRs, then Kevin added his own optional green easy routes and red harder (he added only four red sections, 3 in the lower part all south of Bastian, VA and 1 in Bald eagle State Park in PA). I can say for sure if you are looking for easy with a loaded bike you DO NOT want to do the red Iron Mountain track at Damascus VA. I've ridden most of the "original" MABDR in VA/WV on a DRZ400 and KLR650, but none in MD and PA, but from what I have seen in other RRs about the MABDR and what you have ridden so far on the TAT I don't think you'll have any major difficulties sticking to Kevin's MABDR blue tracks. Hope that helps.

************** Below from GPS Kevin website ****************************
    What is our excitement about this ride?
    The main MABDR route has turned out to be awesome. Thanks to Honda and the BDR team. The MABDR route is shown on the active map below as a BLUE route It provides a great mix of back paved and dirt roads. Perfect for Adventure bikes and intermediate riders. But we have added both easier options and harder options. For those newer riders or rider simple wanting an easy scenic day or riders having a tough time we have nested into the route all paved options shown a GREEN routes. And yes of course we understand some riders come on Dual Sport bikes wanting even tougher choices so we have identified several hard RED route options. So what is great about all this? It's that most everyone can now enjoy this route and choose their own experiences along the way.
    gpsKevin
    Amphib likes this.
  15. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    That was my guess. It's easier going the other way, if that's any consolation.

Edit: That said, I met a couple of TAT riders here in Fayetteville a couple days ago who were in fact going "the other direction" and were similarly flustered by Warloop. It has rained a lot here lately and I think the trail is worse for it.

Enjoying your report.
  16. molochnik

Oddometer:
    DCrider- thanks for the info; truly appreciated. This is exactly the sort of info I can use. I’ll presume Kevin’s spur up the appalacians is the very MABDR.

Scribe- thanks for affirming I’m not a total jabroni. It’s good to know I’m not the only one to have trouble with that trail.
  17. molochnik

Oddometer:
    Ah haw haw haw haw.

Attached Files:

18. Mrs. Molochnik

Mrs. Molochnik Here to provide support

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Dirt Road Cowboy and molochnik like this.
  19. kaspilo

kaspilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That said, I met a couple of TAT riders here in Fayetteville a couple days ago who were in fact going "the other direction" and were similarly flustered by Warloop. It has rained a lot here lately and I think the trail is worse for it.
    ---------------------------------------
    Unless you been on the Warloop Rd. going West to East, especially after a rain, you really don't know. I live close by and avoid that section 100% of the time.

Hi Molochnik!... looks like you ride is going well. Best regards and have a safe ride. Hey, take your time, it is not worth getting hurt!
    molochnik likes this.
  20. DCrider

Oddometer:
    BTW if it matches up with where you plan to stop for the night once in VA and you are looking for a campground with showers to hose off the stink, Douthat State Park is a great place to consider, though it's not super cheap. Also has a restaurant overlooking the lake.