Mongolia to Tajikistan, alone on the Sibirsky Extreme Trail.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by willmaniac, Sep 8, 2017.

1. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great pictures again. This is one of the best threads on ADVrider.
    In Samarkand, did you notice some of the mosques with elaborate design in the stone work but no color, like the tiles in your pictures? When the area was controlled by a more strict Muslim sect (from what is now Iran?) color in architecture was forbidden, so the local masons found a different way to display their art.
  2. td63

td63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just another RR that leaves me wondering why I'm such a coward. Brilliant. In.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    missed the first installment and have to do some catching up. this time, all IN.

i'm impressed by your adventure spirit and thankful for finding the time to share.
  4. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Fantastic stuff man !

I've been to Turkmenistan as well but in a truck (During the Silk Way Rally) and we had all the customs and Visa things taken care of by the organisation.
    Ashgabat was very empty back then too, apart from the street sweepers and the Police/Military.
    We were told we weren't allowed to take pictures back then. Never mind that :-D

We got there starting in Kazan Tatarstan (Russia) and went through Kazakhstan all the way along the west.
    The first day when you hit the plains proper you're in awe about how far you could see but the novelty of that soon wears off to the point of I was asking my navigator if he was sure we didn't need to turn off at every crossroads.

He once said to me: Do you know why the suicide rate is so low here ?
    I said I didn't.
    He replied: There isn't a FFing tree here to hang yourself from !

Boring.

[​IMG]

Boring without tarmac.

[​IMG]

The ferry terminal in Turkmenbashi wasn't very exciting back in 2009

[​IMG]

Little old me driving the rally truck back from Ashgabat at 100 MpH ! (I wasn't the rally driver for it though)

[​IMG]

This was mine to drive.

[​IMG]

Thought I had more pics but they're not on Photobucket. Might look them up.

Sorry for the interruption.

Cheers, Ard
  5. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spectacular!
  6. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report, waiting for more!!:clap

I can help with bike storage in Bulgaria, should you need it. There is also a very competent bike mechanic in Varna.

My bike is currently stored in Sofia, but there are options along the Black Sea coast as well.
  7. willmaniac

willmaniac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Azerbaijan

Don’t be fooled by its appearance with a fresh coat of paint . This old ship was a floating hell hole . But we finally made it to the Port of Baku, which turned out to actually be 80km from the city of Baku ! Five hours in customs, passport control, motorcycle temporary import paper work and I was free .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Write up one passenger with shipping knowledge did on a similar Caspian Sea boat on Caravanastan.

At 154 metres the Nakhichevan is almost the length of the enormous passenger ferries of the English Channel, but barely half as wide. The ship shares the same depth as those of the Channel, but while the Pride of Dover sails with a draft of over six metres the Nakhichevan sails with less than three. Its dimensions are all wrong for the open water: narrow, top heavy and prone to roll like a drunk in all but the calmest of seas. Their crews keep the Dagestans from the sea bed only by steering constantly into the wind. That and fervent prayer.

Seven years earlier these prayers were ignored when the Merkuriy-2, sister ship of the Nakhichevan, was lost in stormy seas while carrying a shipment of oil from Aqtau to Baku. Force eight winds and six metre high waves proved too much for the vessel, and when the constant roll caused the cargo to break loose the ship was sent into a fatal list. Of the 51 souls aboard only nine were saved.

As a result of this accident, the shipping company is now reluctant to put too many people on any ferry in case there is another accident.

My time in Baku was spent catching up on the internet ! eating pizza and hanging out, with my new Japanese friend I met on the boat . The city is very modern and European. Now an evisa is available, Azerbaijan is seeing a big increase in visitors mainly from the Middle East.

[​IMG]
    Baku is beautiful . Coming from Turkmenistan it was literally entering the free world again .

[​IMG]
    Old Soviet medals for sale in an alley.

[​IMG]
    Myself piloting a Mig. Photo credit to the local kid who then pretended to steal my camera .... These boys were having a great afternoon, breaking off parts and throwing rocks at their history .

Georgia

The first thing I noticed crossing into Georgia was the driving . The men pilot their 20 plus year old BMWs ( imported second hand cheap from Europe) with little regard for their own safety let alone that of others.

As we all know when travelling, its best to do as the locals do. So Below is a brief guide,”How to drive like a local in Georgia”.

-Overtaking can be done at any time, it’s up to oncoming traffic to get out of the way. It’s unlikely other road users want to be involved in a head on collision. Exploit this fact.

-If the car in front is trying to pull out onto a busy road, without the aid of traffic lights. Get on your horn, pressure them into pulling out at an unsafe time.

-Speed limits thru towns are optional , near misses with people crossing roads is their problem. Remember your inside 2 tonne of metal traveling at speed. Pedestrians and bikes need to respect this basic physics.

-If traffic is banked up in front get on the horn, long loud blasts are most effective . If possible force a rude overtaking naouve into on coming traffic. Claiming that one position in a long line of slowly moving cars will save seconds on your journey. And most importantly give you a sense of superiority.

-Remember you bought into quality German engineering for a reason . No maintenance required . In the unlikely event the car does start to make undesirable sounds, just turn up the stereo.

-Most importantly remember at all times you’re the owner of a mid nineties luxury car , you own the road !

Luckily these dickheads can’t get their shitboxes into the mountains on the rough tracks, so that’s where I headed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Climbing up through the clouds .

[​IMG]
    The tinny mountain Village of Omalo.

[​IMG]
    View from my homestay.

[​IMG]
    Dronie.

[​IMG]
    More mountains and villages. This is Ushguli and it couldnt be anymore perfect .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Georgia is old churches

[​IMG]
    Big mountains

[​IMG]
    And perfect camping spots.

[​IMG]
    Feeling the love again.
    BrixNaix, mojoblues, mbogage and 26 others like this.
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Spectacular photography!
    willmaniac likes this.
  9. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing that the people with the least are always willing and eager to share what little they have with travelers while the rich just seem intent on keeping everything for themselves...this is a fascinating RR...enjoying it very much...
  10. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Another set of brilliant pictures and a nice story !
    MORE MORE MORE please !
    willmaniac likes this.
  11. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Wow... Both your photography and storytelling are frontpage worthy! Where can I nominate this topic?:clap

Can't wait for your next post :thumb
    willmaniac likes this.
  12. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Absolutely awesome report!
    willmaniac likes this.
  13. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you’re back. What a great RR! .......Again.. :lurk
    MrKiwi likes this.