Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
  2. amazing ricardo

amazing ricardo Piste Off

Oddometer:
    ..is this the route you are thinking?.. (yellow)

[​IMG]
  3. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
  4. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
  5. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
  6. RudyS2MT

RudyS2MT Rudy in MT

Oddometer:
    Helena, MT; mountains and dirt roads all around...
    Chadx tried it last weekend and here is his report

"JJ, I attempted the Rimini Rd to Basin ride. Still too early. I got turned back by snow just past where the bridge is out. Pics and more details to follow."

You can see the photos in the "Helena handbasket" thread in the Rockies regional area.

Still early for around here but things can change a lot in the next few weeks!

And if all else fails we'll send Cheap Ryder up on his new dual sport bike to clear the way! (have not seen it yet but I hear rumors of a mid 80's road bike conversion)

Rudy in Helena
  7. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Putts,
    Did you get hold of frogger about staying there? I wil be up in that area this weekend and will take the GPS and map and look for a spot to camp. some where to spread out. I will just save the cordinates and post them after I get back.

2 weekends ago Chadx from helena tried rimini to basin, still too much snow and can't get the route as of yet, still working on it.
  8. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Horse607 made a track for the Bannack - Wisdom leg of the Day 6 route and I've posted the track to the web (see https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/related-routes , #3 )

and incorporated it into the Day 6 Route along with the updated waypoint (.gpx) file generated from it here:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-6

With Horse's previous track from Sheep Creek to Bannack, Day 6 can probably be considered DONE! :clap

As there have been suggestions for "more dirt", we will probably post some alternates at a later date if and when we get tracks and have time. :D

Thanks, Horse

That just leaves (most of ) 5 days' tracks that we need!

md
  9. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    ed,

did anyone ever get at GPS point of the Grasshopper Inn? on ^ this part of the track? or is it pretty easy to find?

any idea if there is gas at wise river? a location or a business name would be great.

you guys are doing awesome! see ya in a few weeks.

(i'll probably use the pattengail-wisdom track on my way into darby, and also the wisdom [upper north fork or F1203 to road-rye creek rd.] to darby dirt route as well)

:ricky
  10. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Didn't get a GPS, but it is at these coordinates:
    Lat: 45°24'46.84"N
    Lon: 113° 6'58.70"W

Clearly visible on Google Earth just before the Maverick Ski Hill (search on Google Earth or Maps) before entering the timber on the scenic byway.

I don't think there is at Wise River, but is at Wisdom. I don't know if Horse607 checked.

I believe we may have a track from West of the Big Hole Battlefield on dirt, too. The Battlefield is worth seeing, IMHO ... see, for example:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hole_National_Battlefield

VERY INTERESTING story about Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce ...

md
  11. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    ...grassy ass... :thumb:lol3
  12. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    Chadx and I got out for some scouting. I would like some feed back on camping. I have 4 spots I think can work.
    1) Lat 46*50.056 Long.112*27.139 This is one of four spots that are all in less than 1 mile of each other, people can spread out around these spots, every one of the spots has a fire ring.
    2) Lat 46*44.787 Long.112*24.567. This is a nice flat bottom draw that is well over 500 yards long and room to spread out.
    3) Lat 46*40.725 Long 112*19.500 Nice open area to spread out lots of spots to roll out a bag. It is on an open ridge, might be proned to lightning if a thunder storm rolls through.
    4) Lat 46*37.188 Long 112*17.896. Top of Priest pass, good open area and some cover with trees near by.

we rode to the Tunnel in Wicks, Ice in first 50 feet or so. I strongly advise not to go through, it has been a cool wet April May and June, it will NOT melt in a month. Lat46*20.207 Long. 112*07.055 is the entrance to it just for your info.
    The road from that location to Commit (old ghost town of a past mine) gets a little loose with the rocks. I have no idea what a GS or any other larger bike is like on the loose rocks. So I tell you this as a percaution if you have poor skill or lack confidance I would suggest a alternate route to Jefferson City and over to Boulder. It is nothing Chad or myself thought was in any way difficult or challanging just a little loose is all.

MOONDOG (i think you are the one doing the mapping)
    PM Chadx and see if he can send you the map files you need for the route we took. It was a good route and was easy to ride.
  13. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Nice dude!!! Thanks!!!

:wave
  14. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Great! :clap

Did you make the whole Rimini-to-Comet?

Do you recommend that I put the 4 locations (with your notes) on the Day 3 page, or wait until you get feedback and settle on one?

Will do r.e. ChadX p.m.

md
    Thanks
  15. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    yes we did rimini to commit.

I would suggest option 2 for camping. it would be the best. I dont know what the rules are on that I have no idea how spaced out groups have to be. I know one guy on here is F.S. and wants us by the books. However I don't know how far apart the groups have to be. I assume since all campgrounds have trailer parking 50 feet or less apart, I will go with that number. 12 per "spot" there is more than enough room.
    Enter, or copy and paste 46.746036,-112.409835 into google maps and it will give the location.
  16. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    MoondogMT, I'm emailing you a .gdb file tonight. It has some tracks that will need to be divided into 500 point tracks for most users to load into a GPS. I can break them up if you need me to. It also contains waypoints for potential camp spots, the Wickes Tunnel, and the Old Comet Mining Town. Let me know if you need it broken out. Will also be happy to pre-run additional tracks especially if I can get a mid to large bike to accompany me. It's hard for me to gauge on my minibike since it will crawl up the side of a tree if I can get enough traction.
  17. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    You guys fucking rock! :thumb
  18. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Gooday, Mates.
    I believe we've made great progress in finalizing the routes thanks to those preriders and their tracks! I'll go by the day in the status:

Day 1 - Darby to Garnet:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-1

I believe this route is quite firm based on feedback although we have had no prerides to confirm, yet.

Day 2 - Garnet to Marysville:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-2

We were able
    to update (and modify) the approach from the Stemple Pass area into Marysville and add a couple of possible camping spots' waypoints based on a preride by jjimyzrider, chadx and others. Chadx provided the track. We still could use a track out of Garnet NW to Hwy 200, but shouldn't be a problem.

Pic from v8toilet ... more on the web page.

[​IMG]

Day 3 - Marysville to Pipestone:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-3

The leg from Marysville to Basin is firm, thanks once again to updates made with Chadx's track from their preride.

We could still use confirmation of the route (see .gpx file link on the web page) south out of Basin.

Day 4 - Pipestone to Gravelley Range:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-4

Horse607, Jeff and I did a preride on the most questionable stretch from Cardwell to Nevada city, and the track to Ennis has been incorporated in the posted route so this day's route can be considered firm.

We will pre-ride the stretch from Ennis to Dell (mostly day 5) as soon as the Gravelley Range Road is opened (July 1 at the earliest).

Pics from Jeff and Horse607 ... more on the web page.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Day 5 - Gravelley Range to Sheep Creek:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-5

Horse607
    provided a track with part of this, but most needs to be preriden at this point. As stated above, we will pre-ride the remaining route as soon as the Gravelley Range Road is opened (July 1 at the earliest).

Day 6 - Sheep Creek to Darby:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-6

Thanks to Horse607, this days route is DONE. We may be able to post some alternate tracks from the Big Hole Battlefield bypassing Chief Joseph Pass, before the start of the Rally, though.

So, we could use a track out of Garnet (Day 2), one out of Basin (day 3), and validation of the Day 1 route. Also, we will pre-ride Day 5 ASAP.

Not Bad!
    Good work all! :clap

md

19. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    i will be south of boulder camping this weekend. I don't think I will get to the west side of I-15 however if I do I can ride some of it and confirm, however I will have no tracks.
    I will also be in the Gravs 4th of july weekend. I will verify if there is a route from Virg.. City to the Call Rd. via wigwam and axolotl lakes. I will not have tracks for us.
  20. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    Rimini rd is closed for summer the week days between 7:30am N 7:30 pm. I am trying to find a new route for us. I will work on this tonight.