Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Day 5 - Gravelley Range to Sheep Creek:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-5

Horse607
    provided a track with part of this, but most needs to be preriden at this point. As stated above, we will pre-ride the remaining route as soon as the Gravelley Range Road is opened (July 1 at the earliest).

[/quote]

Called Ennis district this afternoon. Roads are very muddy and there is still snow on the roads south of Black Butte. The road is impassabe do to snow that is still there and they will be up there patroling heavily to keep people from driving around the drifts and mud holes. Sounds like the route will not be open for a little while to through traffic. They will be opening the gate on the 2nd at some point in the day.
  2. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Great work on the routes. Only problem I have with them is that my POS computer (running Vista) cannot open a .gpx file. This makes it a large problem to move it into Mapsource so I can move into my Quest.

Any help would be appreciated by this ancient GPS noob.
  3. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Thanks ...
    I've been hoping to get up there next week, too ...
    Was considering the 6th, weather permitting; we'll see, I guess.

When were you hoping to be there?

md
  4. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    ChadX had mentioned this, too ..
    Any chance the Quartz-creek Alternate shown on the Day 3 page (blue) will work?
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/home/current-routes/day-3

Quoting from the description: "The first alternate for Leg 1 (QC waypoints, blue, 17 miles)splits from the primary route just North of Rimini and follows Beaver Cr. to Chessman Reservoir, descending the NF of Quartz Cr. where it intersects the primary route just East of Cateract Basin. Distance from Marysville to Comet is about 47 Miles by this route"

I believe your concern about the difficulty was one reason we settled on the Cateract Meadows route?

md
  5. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    The .gpx file is just a text (ASCII) file, Snr, so you should be able to open it with any editor, including WORD, Notepad, ...

That won't help, though cause all you see is the XML codes.

In my version of MapSource (6.13.7), I can read to .gpx file into a map and then save as a .gdb file by going to "File->Open" then open up the "Files of Type" pull-down list and select "GPS eXchange Format (*.gpx)" ...

Then, pick the folder and file in it you want to open.

Does this help?

md
  6. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    MD - thanks for the info. Will work on it.
    I can open the routes to see them with GPS Visualizer.
  7. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    planning on going the 5th. quartz would be fine for me just large gs style would find it difficult on the rocks. you would have to enter through Helena via grizzly gulch or through unionville. I was searching for a way from elliston through and think I have found a way that meets up with Basin creek rd. however it looks like it passes right next to the mine and might not be open.
  8. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    MD - thanks for the help. Got that part figured out. Next question is, will my Garmin Quest hold all of the days' routes as posted, or do I need to cull out some waypoints??
    Was planning to have them listed by each day.
  9. amazing ricardo

amazing ricardo Piste Off

Oddometer:
    waypoints are no problem.. it's when you want to load "tracks" that is the problem.. tracks are made up of breadcrumbs... each one of those is a data point, so they take a lot of memory...

i can't remember offhand what the maximum number is.. someone will chime in, but there are ways around that, like filtering tracks down to the maximum amount of datapoints, or renaming them to active track logs, or splitting track logs into multiple parts, or using software to convert tracks into transparent maps.. etc..

but most of this is beyond the scope of this post...:lol3
  10. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Info is much appreciated as I know zip about this stuff. In the links posted for each day's route, are those waypoints or tracks shown?
  11. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    some are "routes" some are "tracks" and some are waypoints..

i'll go have a look and tell you what is what.. BRB...
  12. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    they way i have it NOW...

day 1,2,3 are routes.. day 4,5 are waypoints, the new stuff like the way up to bannak that was posted recently is a track..

look at the top left hand edge page in mapsource.. you will see tabs for routes, tracks and way points..

a route is a path between waypoints or an autoroute, a track records where you or someone has been, an waypoint is just a data dot that you can name what you want and you just head for that from where you are..

a route will have a direction arrow for travel, a track will have breadcrumbs.. tiny datapoints, like verey small waypoints that are un-named that you follow the "breadcrumbs" a waypoint is just a dot, but you can assign a name and an "icon" picture...

...that's the primer.. i'd read the manual...:photog
  13. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    :bow Thanks for the primer - now I'm off to RTFM again.

See you out there.
  14. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    The .gpx files in the day pages contain routes, consisting of ordered waypoints. I believe most GPS's these days will hold multiple routes up to 500 waypoints each. The specs for your GPS should tell you what the limits are. If they are exceeded, you will have to cull some points.

I generated most of the routes to average about 1 waypoint per mile (not evenly spaced), and I believe the maximum number of waypoints for any route is 224 (Day 6).

I recommend that you download the .gpx files, pull them into MapSource and clean them up (e.g. delete alternate routes you won't take, etc.), then download to the GPS unit.

I haven't posted any tracks EXCEPT on the "Other Routes and Tracks" page (https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k2010routes/related-routes), and as Amazing says, they may have LOTS of points; you might want to create your own routes from them.

Hope this helps. I'm glad you are asking the questions.

md
  15. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    sample page showing waypoints and tracks and tabs.. see red circles..

[​IMG]
  16. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    It all helps a lot. Have day one in Mapsource now and will start working on it.

If you asked me what brand of router I have, I'd answer, "Makita."
  17. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    and i cheated... :lol3 the CDT trail between lima reservoir and wise river is the same as we are taking so i edited those tracks into my montana data... :lol3
  18. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    post up your ?s here and we'll try and help... but at least read the manual so you will have a basic grasp of the concepts.. and don't stress out, people have been using maps for a lot longer than GPS's

+ there should be a bunch of us fools along this trail..:lol3
  19. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Again, the help is appreciated. I have a fair amount of being alone in the wilderness experience and the GPS thing is fun and interesting. Worst case, I'll follow the smell of exhaust and I'll have a map and compass along as back up. :p3rry
  20. amazing ricardo

Oddometer:
    what are you using as your mapset?