Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking I will convert the routes to trac's for my 60csx so it will not auto route back to a paved road when on gravel.
    I'm still bringing my Delorme and compass though:lol3
  2. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I am using the 2008 Montana Topo Maps.
  3. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just going to wing-it. I know roughly where the camps should be set up. What the hell if I get side tracked I will have explored a little more than most and probably find something cool to see in doing so.
  4. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    Rode from Virginia city to Clover Meadows. The route up through Alder Gulch and rt at Grassy Lake. Followed FS RD 290 through to FS RD 292 (Call RD) (Gravelly Range RD) to Clover meadows. Was able to verify the route is there and in good condition. Saw an old gold mill building that was very interesting. The road is a go for most bikes, a couple of rough sections, to take it really slow on, also a steep part or two with mud.
  5. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! This would be a great alternate for those who don't need gas in Ennis. I believe there is no gas in Virginia City.

I called about gas in Alder and found that it is "hit or miss," so shouldn't count on it.

So closest gas from where the Granite Creek Road intersects 287 West of Virginia City would probably be Sheridan (about 15 miles).

md
  6. amazing ricardo

amazing ricardo Piste Off

Oddometer:
    :scratch ..if you skip ennis, don't you skip one of the cards for the poker run... :nono
  7. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    <hr style="color: rgb(87, 87, 87);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> O.K., There have been a few changes and a couple of unresolved problems crop up with the routes. I'll give you the current take as I see it.

Day 1 - Darby to Garnet:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k20...t-routes/day-1

I believe this route is quite firm based on feedback although we have had no prerides to confirm, yet.

Day 2 - Garnet to Marysville:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k20...t-routes/day-2

This route appears to be solid at this time.
    We still could use a track out of Garnet NW to Hwy 200, but shouldn't be a problem.

Day 3 - Marysville to Pipestone:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k20...t-routes/day-3

Although this route had been preridden and looked good, as you know, the section South of Rimini will be closed.

So, although according to jjimyzrider, the Quartz-Creek alternate will work for some riders, we currently have no route for the Marysville to Basin leg!

We could still use confirmation of the route (see .gpx file link on the web page) south out of Basin.

Day 4 - Pipestone to Gravelley Range:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k20...t-routes/day-4

The leg from Delmoe Lake to 287 between Alder and Virginia City (Granite Creek Road junction) can be considered firm.

However, there is some question as to whether the Gravelley Range Road will be open from Ennis to the Centennial Valley. According to the USFS, it is currently impassible.

So, Horse_607 made a track up the Ruby river road. See the Day 4 and Day 5 web pages for details.

In any case, we have two good routes, depending on the status of the Gravelley Range Road, so this day's route can be considered firm.

Day 5 - Gravelley Range to Sheep Creek:

https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k20...t-routes/day-5

Horse_607
    got a track from the Centennial to Dell (different than our original track due to closed gates). Comments above for Day 4 regarding the Gravelley Range Road are relevant here, too, and the alternate Ruby River Road route to the Centennial Road is shown on the map and included in the .gpx file for Day 5.

Whether the Gravelley Range Road is open or not, a firm route for this day is now available.

If the Gravelley Range Road is passable in the next few days, it would be nice to have a track from Ennis to the Centennial Valley via the route shown on the web page.

Day 6 - Sheep Creek to Darby:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mt1k20...t-routes/day-6

Thanks to Horse607, this days route is DONE. We may be able to post some alternate tracks from the Big Hole Battlefield bypassing Chief Joseph Pass, before the start of the Rally, though.

IN SUMMARY:
    A route for Day 3 from Marysville to Basin is needed, and a preride south of basin would be good.

I believe we have viable routes for all other days now posted on the web with the questionable sections validated.

Good work all! :clap

md
  8. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    Dog,

I was hoping to get out and check day 3 this weekend, but I have had family show up this past week and they will be here till the middle of next week. So, between that and work I will not be free until the ride start.

We may have to wing that part, or I could possibly survey it while the group does days 1 and 2. - Actually given the nature of things, unless someone can come up with a route by then, I will just plan on doing that Sunday 7/18.
  9. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan, Chains. I'll be out of pocket (and off the internet) until at least Wed. as well;

I'm thinking worst case, some folks may prefer to go tarmac to Helena, then to Boulder, bypassing the whole Rimini Road, etc. section. Others could brave the Quartz Creek route if they want. The leg South of Basin should be o.k., (I'm told).

Too little time when the sun shines, eh? :D

md
  10. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    B-Rod from Canada tried to ride rock creek yesterday. He said the road was closed and they had tractor trailors parked sideways in the road. some one needs to check on that.

The route we took today got us where we thought it would. We were turned around at a gate at Basin Creek Mine. There was a phone number on a sign to call to get authorization to go through. I will call 1st thing Monday and see if we can get permision to ride through the mine area and get to Basin Creek rd and back on the tracks.

Went down Quartz just to see what was up. There are loose rocky areas that we thought would give big bikes trouble. We had a 640 ADV and a GS650 Dakar with us and they were able to do this stuff with little to no trouble.

We did find a track that could be used to get us from Elliston to Rimini RD a few miles above Rimini. We are going to call and find out from where to where the road closure is for sure before we know if this will be a good alternative for us.

So still a work in progress. we may just have to send people through Helena out Grizzly Gulch over into Travis Creek and out lump Gulch (or Quartz for some) to Clancy. Then they can go through Clancy Creek to Corbin To wicks to comet.
  11. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    According to the Helena IR article http://helenair.com/news/84626090-80da-11df-ab45-001cc4c03286.html it is south of Rimini that Rimini Rd. is closed, but, as will all newspaper reports, it's best to get the facts straight from the source. While JJMYZRider makes the calls, I'll work up the tracks from yesterday's ride. I'll make tracks for both scenarios. One if JJM can get permission for everyone to pass through the mine and one if not and we cross over Rimini Rd. and go past Chessman. Then, big bikes will have the choice of taking an alternate near Clancy if Quartz is too challenging or if others want to pass by Wickes Tunnel and the old comet mining town. I'll try to work them up tonight or tomorrow and get them over to MoondogMT. I'll go ahead and break up the tracks into 500 points or less, too, so they won't get truncated when people load them .
  12. Horse 607

Horse 607 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i posted this earlier today on the MT 1000 site but ill repeat it here too. I went through the Grasshopper over to Wise River via the senic by way this morning. The gas pump at the Grasshopper Inn is on the far side of the building, you cant see it til you get on the far side. The Grasshopper Inn is on the left side of the road and there are signs right before you get to it. About half way between Elk Horn and Wise River there are cows turned out so they could be on the road between Elk Horn and Wisdom so just keep that in mind when youre riding that stretch. They are working on the road right before you get to Wise River so being it will be Friday there could be slight delays. there IS gas in Wise River, 87 oct. for those that were wondering, if youre gonna plan on getting gas there youll need to go right at the stop sign, instead of left toward Wisdom, and go maybe an 1/8th of a mile. the Wise River store will be on the left just past the Wise River Club.
  13. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    JJM called and we won't be able to work out a route through the mine between Elliston and Basin. No worries, the section of Rimini Rd. that needs to be used is open and I'm working up the .gpd tonight. It will be a conbination of real tracks (the important sections) and mapsource derived tracks (ones that follow main roads, so a non-issue). It will cover from the one tentative camping spot on March Creek road (south of Lincoln) all the way down to Pipstone/Delmoe Lake. I'll break the sections into 500 point tracks so no truncation.

I'm also going to put the one alternate section for big bikes since I don't imagine anyone will want to run Quartz Creek/Cataract Creek on big bikes. The more rugged trail will miss the old Comet mining town and the Wickes Tunnel. The Wickes Tunnel is an old 1+ mile long train tunnel, but it's too icy to ride through, so you would just miss looking at it and walking into it a bit. One can always take the time to ride up to it after you get to Basin or Boulder. I'll include waypoints of all that. Boulder had a gas station (again, I'll waypoint that). The ride from Basin or Boulder down to Butte will be the route already proposed on MoondogMT's site, but it will be included just for ease of downloading and playing with the tracks. Gas will be available in Butte, though I won't have a waypoint for that.

Is there a decided upon naming conventions for the tracks so they will be easy to find as folks scroll through their GPS? Maybe each track by date then a numeric 01, 02, etc so they are in the order in which you'll ride them? I know I hate scrolling around looking for the consective legs if they are not consecutively named. Or will everyone just download the tracks and tailor the names to what works for them?
  14. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May I suggest "MT01", "MT01A" for an alternate A, "MT01B" for an alternate B, "MT02" for day 2, etc. Or for some of the alternate routes, perhaps a longer name will help.

I'm leaving tomorrow for the MOA rally, so I'll have to probably download them at the rally.

THANKS for your work on the routes/tracks.
  15. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Seems reasonable to me and would be short enough to display on all GPSes and easy to find. That's the way I'll do mine and then others can change them to fit their style.
  16. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    OK. I just finished the .gdb and it is on the way to moondogmt via email. It will consist of 8 sets of tracks, all less than 500 points. Also contains 10 waypoints with various things like camp spots for the end of Day 02, the wickes tunnel, old mining town in comet, gas in Boulder if you can't make it to Butte, etc.

I named the tracks per Timmer's reccommendation. First four characters represent the day. MT03 for day 03 of the MT1000. Fifth character represents the leg for the day and was necessary due to 500 point track limitations if you want to load them by track. Legs are represented with a, b, c, d and e. When you are riding, you will work you way down the list in order. If you are on a big bike, it is suggested that, for leg 'd', you take "MT03d Alt" rather than "MT03d". I worked it out so you will pick up the route the same place as everyone else with "MT03e".

MT03a - 15.7 mi [Leg A. This is from one possible camp spot from day 02. It's actual tracks. ]
    MT03a camp - 0.6 mi [This is one possible camp spot for the end of day 02]
    MT03b - 13.8 mi [Leg B. Actual tracks]
    MT03c - 16.8 mi [Leg C. Actual tracks]
    MT03d - 23.4 mi [Leg D. Actual tracks. Primary route for leg 'd'. This was ridden this weekend with a KTM 640 and a BMW 650GS. Some sections were a handful. If you are not comfortable in the gnarley or have a big bike, you should consider "MT03d Alt" instead]
    MT03d Alt - 36.0 mi [Leg D Alt. Take this alternate route if you are on a big bike or mid-size bike and want to avoid some gnarly trails. There will be a couple section of looser rock, but nothing crazy. This route passed by Wickes Tunnel and through an old mining town in Comet. The first part of this is Mapsource tracks and not actual, but they are existing roads and should be fine. The remainder are actual tracks]
    MT03d gas - 6.0 mi [A quick Alt. run into Boulder to a gas station if you can't make it to Butte]
    MT03e - 54.3 mi [Leg E. Last leg should be easy. These are not actual tracks but are plotted on a road, so should be no problems. Takes you all the way to Delmoe Lake via a short section of interstate through Buttle. You should fuel in Butte as you pass through]
  17. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chadx.

MUCHAS GRACIAS. I'm looking forward to downloading the GDB file when it's available.

Timmer
  18. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Mandatory stop for me in Butte is the Front Street Market (I-90 & Minnesota Street exit). Major league Italian grocery store/deli. Will be stocking up on some road food & dinner for the night. There's fuel down the street at the exit. No affiliation with the store, just love Italian food.

My thanks to those working on this. I wanted to do some pre-rides, but have been working 7 days a week for the past 3 weeks in order to free up the time to go.
  19. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    By the way, if anyone wants the .gdb directly, send me an email or PM me your email address. I'm anxious for someone to load it (especially on non-garmin equipment) and give me some feedback so I have time for tweaks if needed.
  20. tweetie

tweetie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the Montanans for all your hard work putting this all together.

My navigator left yesterday. He's got the tracks as per what was on the MT1000 website. Hopefully it's sufficient to get us to a campsite every night.

I've also printed out all the pages on the website per day to carry along just in case..

Jitters and myself leave tomorrow night to trailer up. Can't wait! :clap