Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's Chad...
    I was kind of counting on that badger, though. It doesn't have to stink, though I'm not sure you could make it not. De-clawed would be a plus. Oh, wait, you thought I wanted a badge? Ooooookay then. This is a little awkward.
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Dirtrider did the first few days of the CDR with Gaspipe and I. He took us on a side route through a 6,000' +/- unused rail tunnel that ended at a cool, well preserved ghost town. If you don't know what it is, I'll look it up in our ride report.

I spent a month at my house in West Yellowstone this year, and Icebox took me on the Gravely Mtn ride. If that is available in mid/late June next year, I'd put it on the ride. Icebox was worried I wouldn't like it enough because it wasn't hard core enough. Had it been any more "hard core", I'd have ridden off the road as I couldn't keep my eyes on the road.

If the route comes by Red Rock on the CDR and goes to the highway in Island Park, I'd recommend a turn west and see if a large group lunch could be set up at the Trout Hunter. It has a large grassy area with a back patio right on the Henry's Fork of the Snake River (yea it's Idaho, but it's close). Also, the best hamburgers I've had in several years.

There's a few suggestions from a flatlander who will be a Montanan in a few years.
  3. HBr

HBr Flirting w/Martini's law

Oddometer:
    I'll be sitting down with maps in the next few days to get the plan going for the NW section of the trip. I have a couple of questions and comments:

Where will we be entering Lincoln County?
    Dirt routes through this area are scarce - unless it is forest service roads, not much (legal) single track to speak of.
    How many (I know it's early for a guess) bikes are we talking about? Camping can be quite challenging for large groups. There is a ton of forest here, but it is thick and not so suitable for more than 1 or 2 tents.
    What amenities are required? River or stream good for water? Portable toilets, or vaults?
    Give me a little guidance so I can do a good job.

Thanks.
  4. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    ANNOUNCEMENT:

The ride is now planned to end at WestFest on FRIDAY afternoon.

This means SIX days of riding; FIVE bivouacs.

It is CRITICAL that people making there way to Montana get to see the most amazing sites and have the most amazing experiences they can.

Because we have to cover 1000 miles enjoyably, the route probably needs to include a good amount of pavement. taxidea, I think, made the comment that the NW corner doesn't have many throughways on dirt, more pavement means we might be able to include some distance to get up there. The point is we can range out a bit because we can work with some pavement.

So ........... I think the thing we have to do is settle on about 10 places that can't be missed 'cuz they're so amazing!

What do you think can't be missed in Western Montana?
  5. nwgs

nwgs Danned

Oddometer:

Elkhorn hotsprings or a remote hotspring in the area.
  6. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Sorry, good questions:

Mandatory

150 tents (Can be spread far and wide if need be over maybe a half mile of road.)
    At least one campfire location.
    Pavement within 10 miles of decent dirt road for road riders. (Sorry, you might have to take those slicks though a little dirt.)
    Stream water for filtered pumps.

Nice stuff:

Toilets
    Lakes
    Old buildings we could shelter in.
    Money tree and whiskey spring. (Ya never know.:dunno)

Probably not:
    Super Slab - to many bairly street legal dirt bikes and side cars for hardly any of that. Maybe a one-exit hop to make a connection here and there, but that's about it.)

Campgrounds - too many people, we'd have to get permits and shit. We got plenty of public land up here, let's us it.

There will be no porta potties arrainged for!

I'll try to think of more.
  7. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Hiya Dan :wave

That's EXACTLY one I'm trying to incorporate, much of the gloriously twisty Wise River Road straigh up through the middle of the Pioneer Mountains has been freshly paved. :wink:

There's also a great old ghost town up there, tremendous high-mountain valley scenery, a crystal digging site, and numerous historical marker sites. A very cool place and beautiful ride. :thumb

Let's hear some more. :ear
  8. nwgs

nwgs Danned

Oddometer:
    You're gonna kill me when I tell you I was there a few weeks ago. :hide

But I can confirm your words. :thumb
  9. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    RIGHT!!! You asked me on the phone today how you could help .... :ddog ... you get to clean shitters!

:poser

Love you long time, baby.

Say, is it fresh paved all the way now? It did go about 10 miles north past Elkorn newly paved and then it turned into lots of patches 'n shit. :ear
  10. killstrees

killstrees Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think folks would have fun heading through west glacier to polebridge, and over trail creek, or one of the other passes to or from eureka. great views of glacier. easy FS roads and county roads, but great scenery and several route options and side trips to great views like bowman lake in glacier. I really don't know how to post a map, but this might work. :ricky

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....692773,-114.584656&spn=0.921011,2.425232&z=9
    <small></small>
  11. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    That worked great, thanks!

Here's one: what's the coolest/weirdest bar you've been to in Montana?

I don't know how cool it is, and it's not very weird, but I went to the bar in Pony one time and it was cool.
  12. nwgs

nwgs Danned

Oddometer:
    The Bar in Manhattan. :nod
  13. HBr

Oddometer:
    The Dirty Shame in Yaak before it was cleaned up. It's no fun now.
  14. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Just doing some research here, and am saving some things that I'm finding. Please feel free to comment on the items and wether they are worthy to include in the ride:

Garnet Back Country byway.

[​IMG]

King Hill Scenic Byway

[​IMG]

Lake Koocanusa Scenic Byway

[​IMG]

Pioneer Scenic Byway (I've got the hots for this one)

[​IMG]

St. Regis Scenic Byway.

[​IMG]

Montana Brewerys in area: Gold West Country and Glacier Country
  15. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    Tyll,

The Garnet route is beautiful and I would definitely try to get it in, several ridgetop vistas, lots of curves. It is paved from Hwy 200 to around the Coloma cutoff (I think, been a while and it may not be paved quite so far).

The St Regis-Paradise route is along the Clark Fork and is also an excellent ride, this time closely following the river in a winding canyon bottom, all paved but usually pretty crowded with motorhomes and slow farmers.

DD
  16. HBr

Oddometer:
    You have two choices along Koocanusa. The west side is a little rough, slower speeds, and sharp corners. The East side is good road with long sweepers with very high speeds possible. We can divide up at the dam and reconvene at the bridge - if we want to ride along the reservoir. Doing that will cut out the other possibilities like the Pipe Creek road, Yaak road, Dodge Summit, Fisher River and Wolf Prairie roads. All the alternatives are excellent.
  17. Horse 607

Horse 607 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    putts,
    the pioneer senic byway its a kickass loop and it is paved all the way now. way fun twisties. there is a campground just before elkhorn and one just up the byway a ways and quite a few more on the wise river side. coolidge is the old mining town just off of the byway. another kinda cool stop is robbers roost that is above bannack, where plummer and his boys watched for the stages to rob. im gonna try to make sure im around for the 1000 so if there is something i can help out with over here in Dillon let me know.
  18. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Great! Thanks for checking in, I was hoping someone from Dillon would show up. I'll let you know.

I agree on the Wise River route, too, pretty much a "must" for the ride.

BTW, would you, and all Montana Riders who've not done so, please check into the Stand Up Montana thread.
  19. UH60A

UH60A Freedom first

Oddometer:
    I wana play.
    Hank in Great Falls
  20. sproutxj

sproutxj Bikeless..ok with it

Oddometer:
    Hey Tyll I have a secret. :D It's in regards to one of our biggest concerns from last night.