Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Where to get more beer? :dunno

You know how to PM mate! :ddog

:wave
  2. sproutxj

sproutxj Bikeless..ok with it

Oddometer:
    Check your PM and have another cup of coffee and put some pants on.
  3. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:

:lol2

:wave
  4. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    MT1000 ANNOUNCEMENT:

Hi guys, I need someone to help me with the MT1000 maps.

Anybody out there who's a wizz with mapping software?
  5. HBr

HBr Flirting w/Martini's law

Oddometer:
    I have both the national geographic and garmin topos for MT. What do you need?
  6. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    I need someone who can be the center-point for all the maps for the MT1000 and WestFest. Someone who can build the route in whatever program, doesn't matter, but publish the routes as GPS tracks, Google Earth maps, etc.

:ear
  7. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    So, I've been playing with my map software trying to get a feel for how far we can get. I think I've come to the conclusion that we can't make a loop big enough to cover my first pass map.

Here's an example map. The route here is 781 miles total. That means we can only add about 200 miles to a loop like this.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it doesn't get us near as far as my first map. 'Course, that's not neccesarily a bad thing; leaves lots of room for new exploration next time.

How do you feel about this?

Is it possibly too hard?

Given the scope of the amount of ground we can cover, what other sights in this area can we see.

Remember, I do want to leave enough time in each days ride to sight see a little.

Current map includes the folloing Ghost Towns : Garnet, Marysberg, Comet, Virginia City, Bannack, and Coolidge (in the Pioneers).

:ear
  8. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Elkhorn is not far from Boulder on your route if your trying to bag Ghost towns... regardless this looks like it could be a really good trip -- there are several areas on here that I have been looking at riding at some point... count me in on this madness.
  9. HBr

HBr Flirting w/Martini's law

Oddometer:
    Oh sure, cut out the North West corner. Nothing to see up here...:cry :D
  10. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did I miss something along the way?

I take it that now the MT 1000x is now part of west-fest and will be held in July.

Please verify this so I can switch the dates I have requested off to be the appropriate ones.

Good to see we will be able to do the Gravely range road, my second back yard.
  11. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Yup.

It's funny how hard it is to keep this stuff straight even with all the communicating that's going on. Sorry mate.

Currently the dates are arrive at MT1000 start July 17 leave 18 am. Arrive back at start/WF site July 23 afternoon.

Dates aren't set in stone yet as we haven't retained the property, but that should become settled within the next month. Shady Rascal is working on it and making good headway. :thumb
  12. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    Looking at the map you show, I think that is some good looking riding.

It looks like Skahalko pass, twards I 90 via rock creek. Speedster and I did that ride at this time last year. I think that would be a good ride. Might be able to set something up in the area that the Testy-festy is, they should have plenty of room for a group site camping.

Stops 7&8 are Garnett I am guessing. Only been there once, good pull-outs and lots of gravel.

Huckleberry pass down looks like the cdt. I rode that area with a group from Tenn.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503137 (they show a good route form Babb to Helena via dirt and river xing for those interested)

It was a good ride easily done on any bike (huckleberry pass, that is). From Lincoln I know of multiple route choises, including a lot of single track riding and some more difficult trails into the Marsh Creek area. There is also Granite Butte look out tower that offers some good views of the area.

Marysville House is a must stop in the evening for steak, lobster, crab, beans, and what ever you choose, it falls under the must stop at bars. You can carve your name in the wall as well. A lot of open space for camping along that portion along the cdt.

Lava MTN trail is right south of that, and offers different levels of riding opertunities as well. I see Commit on you map which is a good stop. Also right there is the RR tunnel that is a Mile long which you can ride through. Boulder Hot springs is a popular destination for cdt riders.

South of boulder to Whitehall is a good gravel road, not much exciting on it, but beats the highway.

From there you head south to twin bridges? Don't know much about the area. I would head to L&C Caverans, nice and cool place to go through in JULY! Then my route would head to Pony and straight to the bar. I think the back roads through the Tobacco roots to McCallister would be a good ride for out of towners,

Virginia city, is probably a must and then south trough the Gravelly's, bring bear spray. I know of a few different routes, to meet back up with the Gravelly Range RD. Axcolot lakes is a cool area and weird fish in there, and then through Wigwam Creek to Gravelly range rd.

Sheep creek up to bannack will have to be your area, I know nothing about it.

Take any information you find helpful and use it. Ditch the rest or do whatever you wish with it.
  13. Chaos-in-MT

Chaos-in-MT OK lets GO!

Oddometer:
    :clap I live in the Mountains above Kila (greater Kalispell area) and could put the boys up in this neck of the woods if needed .I do have a full bar and brewery on sight along with 20 or so acres to camp on. The brewery does have an upstairs bunk house, full bath with shower, and a kitchen for those who want inside(it is not as glamorous as it sounds).
    If the ride is not going through this area maybe the North West riders can join up to ride down to meet the others.

Chaos
  14. hilandfrog

hilandfrog jackass

Oddometer:
    For some fun...S Poor mans up from Lincoln, to Helmvill trail to cellar gulch.
    then the easy roads past Empire mine sites and off in to Merrysville, around green mountain up Austin Rd and over mullein pass to join up w/ remni to park lake to the rail road beds to the tunnel to butts:wink: lady on the hill:ear

Repo
  15. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    To gain a chunk of mileage you could head east after the Gravely Range. Go around the Red Rock Lakes area.

Are you trying to avoid Idaho for this ride? I am assuming so.

If not then try to hit Lemhi Pass. Heading west it Y's at the top, so you could go down one road and back on the other. A public hot spring at the bottom of the north route. Lemhi is worth just going to the top and backtracking, but if you take the north route, to the top of the hill (great view of ID), there is a road bearing right (north). This may tie into something further out. It is a good gravel road.

Another nice view point is Gibbons Pass, north off of Lost Trail. Great Views of the Bitteroot Valley. Best done in the eve or morning. Several forks on top. It can be entered from a couple of directions, maybe from the Big Hole Battleground. Again, good gravel roads, although, Gibbons is skinny.
  16. jjmyzrider

Oddometer:
    :ddog

any planning going on?
  17. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    So, with the beginning and ending set, I guess a rough route can be penciled and we can spend the winter refining the actual routes and stops.

Since I have missed any meetings held on this I have no idea what has been done so far. May I suggest that once the rough route is established, we split it up into sections with someone to take the lead in establishing the best way in each section?
  18. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dennis, I'm just beginning to get back in the swing of things here, I'll post a rough route with some notes tonight, and then we can move right along the path you outline.
  19. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Okie Dokie ...

Here's a link to a map.

There are lots of problems with this map as Google won't let me route through the many of the back roads.

This map is slightly better as an idea.

[​IMG]

Sunday: Darby to Garnet (7 on Garmin map). Chains45 would you have a look at this section? I think it's fairly straight forward. My idea was to head south out of Darby and then take the back roads to the Skalkaho intersection, from there it's fairly straight forward.

Monday: Garnet to Marysville?
    Tuesday: Marysville? to Pipestone?
    I'd like to leave these sections to the guys in Helena. All I really care about is ending up somewhere around Butte, and having the route go through a tunnel or two.

Wednesday: Butte area to South of Virginia City.
    Thursday: Virginia City to Sheep Creek.
    Friday: Sheep Creek to Darby.
    I'll work with the Bozeman boys on these routes.

Thanks for the kick in the pants. You still wanna take the lead on the Monday and Tuesday routes for the Helena crew?

Thanks guys ... kinda been having a lot of crap to deal with lately, and I know I been slacking a bit on this stuff. Back in it now, though.
  20. sproutxj

sproutxj Bikeless..ok with it

Oddometer:
    Just checking in to see if we ever came up with a logo for WF and MT1k.

I've been busy with work, wedding, and honeymoon and need to catch up with the planning.

Just got back from 90+ degree sunny weather to wonderful 16 degree Bozeman. My tan went from brown to white in about 30 seconds after arriving. :D