Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Cracker! :poser

Call me, I've got news on all fronts, we should get together. :wave
  2. sproutxj

sproutxj Bikeless..ok with it

Oddometer:
    :rofl Will do.
  3. cbmma1969

cbmma1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a suggestion for leg 1, ~180 miles. I can send you the GPX file if you want.

[​IMG]
  4. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    That does look good, have you ridden those roads?
  5. gmsnowball

gmsnowball Black Bear Pass

Oddometer:
    Oklahoma Some Where, just east of spoobooty
    Are the routes out and back or are we camping/moteling along the way?
  6. cbmma1969

Oddometer:
    I've driven some and familar with others. The one road I have questions about is Cramer Creek, heading towards Garnet. Garmin says its not bad though. Route does have about 4 miles of interstate, ~150 miles between gas stops, should be big bike friendly for most. It also wouldn't be hard to add a Copper Cliff (road shown as 4wd, about 0.6 miles off Cramer Creek Rd.) and Colma ghost towns option to the route.
  7. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    I have ridden them, some (like Rock Creek) many times. All could be done in a car (albeit very slowly in some spots) which I think is a good thing. For the most part all excellent scenery.
  8. cbmma1969

Oddometer:
    That basic route offers several options also; catch Hwy 38 or Sleeping Child Rd. out of Hamilton, stay on Rye Creek Road to East Fork, Willow Creek Road, longer run on the interstate to Bearmouth (?) as well as a lot of side trips that could be taken.
  9. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    We'll be camping each night and it will be a big loop.

Go back a half dozen posts and you'll see a big map with a rough idea of the route.
  10. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I am willing to help out where I can. I will probably take the lead on the singletrackers from Lincoln over to marysville. So S. Poorman or any other route will have to be taken by other people.
  11. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking and watching this thread with interest. The 1000 sounds like a great idea, although I don't know how much of it I can make.

Anyway, I have to say the current map looks pretty good to me. I'm most familiar with the SW MT part and I had been considering a trip following part of the Great Divide Trail which you pick up on your route.

Anyway, my comments starting at Virginia City, going south:
    1. An alternate route to the Gravelly Ridge Road (July snow ??) would be to go to Alder and follow the Ruby River road to the Centennial Valley?

2. Once in the Centennial, one might want to camp at Lakeview?

3. I think your Sheep Creek leg comes out on Hwy 324 by going down Medicine Lodge? If not, I would suggest this, then 324 to Grant, Grant to Bannack, etc.

4. Again, I think your route goes from Bannack to Elkhorn, Crystal Park, to Wise River, then over Chief Joseph? This could be extended by going to Anaconda, GeorgeTown Lake, Philipsburg, Skalkaho, Hamilton?

5. Don't know if there is interest in or a way to include Lemhi Pass in one of the loops, but this is a great road off of 324 and if the Warm Springs Road is taken into Idaho, there is a great hot springs (developed and FREE) a few miles from the Tarmack.

Tried to post a JPG map, but got a nondescript error.

Just a few thoughts. Would be glad to help with preps in this part of the world.
  12. August West

August West Wharf Rat

Oddometer:
    Rock Creek Rd is just that really rocky with pot holes and lots of fishing, early season floating traffic. It runs along THE blue ribbon trout stream in Western MT. A potential alternative might be to take the Skalkaho all the way to Highway 1, take 1 to Hall and then take the back Rd that dumps out at Antelope Cr and I- 90. Slip under !-90 and head directly to Garnet Ghost Town.
  13. Beartooth

Beartooth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've got to stay a night at the lumberjack, aka "the jack". It's on highway 12 on your way up lolo pass. Lots of room for camping/cabins. Or we could go get stabbed in Babb (east glacier).

14. Beartooth

Oddometer:

I'm a Geographic Information Systems expert/programmer. Send me the place names, and I can create high quality pubs.
  15. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    PM coming your way.
  16. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Alrighty then ... I'm gonna just start working through the MT1000 route day by day and see how far we get.

Here's a .gpx file of the route so far: http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=529318

I've been doing some Google earth recon, and I don't think it's really possible to know exactly where we'll bed down for the night until someone can get up there this spring and scout out a spot. Anybody want to sign up for that?

It looks to me like there will only be one shot a gas and resupply for the day,
    here between Rock Creek and Beavertail Road exits on 90:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=46.733743,-113.624725&amp;spn=0.157187,0.261269&amp;z=12&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=46.733743,-113.624725&amp;spn=0.157187,0.261269&amp;z=12&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Can anyone familiar with these two exits let me know if there's a gas station, resteraunt, bar, and/or grocery/convenience store here?

Thanks guys!!!!
  17. Beartooth

Oddometer:
    there is no gas at the rock creek exit. There should be some west on 90 at clinton.
  18. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    agree, the closest exit with fuel is #120, Clinton. Back at exit #109, Bonner, is a large truck stop.
  19. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
  20. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    there is a good bar in rock creek to fill up at:beer don't remember gas there.

we miss testy festy by a few weeks, it is in early aug. that would be a good time for the flatlanders.