Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. dhaynes

dhaynes Alpha geek

Oddometer:
    Can't download the .gpx using either IE or Firefox. The website blows up with a bunch of permissions errors reported by PHP.

If you wanna e-mail me a copy (dphaynes on gmail) I'll see if I can host it on google docs.

Or if you want to get yourfilelink.com to fix the appended errors I'll be happy to see if I can contribute to the routes

Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: Stat failed for /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/files_478894334/962fdce8de5e9d5e9680cc7ab7013a152806cb1e.gpx (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 140

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php:140) in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 166

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php:140) in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 167

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php:140) in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 168

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php:140) in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 169

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php:140) in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 170

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php:140) in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 172

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php:140) in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 173

Warning: readfile(/home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/files_478894334/962fdce8de5e9d5e9680cc7ab7013a152806cb1e.gpx) [function.readfile]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/yourfile/public_html/userfiles/direct.php on line 174
  2. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Actooly, I think I've got the problem solved ... by getting someone way more capable than I. :nod

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. :rayof So Beartooth and I
    had a chat the other night, and he's gonna be the mapmaster. :thumb

The trick to this thing is that we really won't know exactly where the bivouacs will be until they can be checked next spring ... maybe only weeks before the event. So we have to have a good approximate location now (say within a mile, but some places I'm sure some people will know exactly) then, right befor the rally, Beartooth will publish the official maps and GPS coords and stuff.

For now as we develop the ride
    I'm gonna poke up the rough route,
    and then we'll all refine it a bit from there,
    adding in gas stops, beer, bar, resteraunt
    locations along the way.

As we finish up each day,
    he'll take the maps and mash them all together.

So, after we come out of Rock Creek, if people want to gas up and get food it's 5 miles west to Clinton . What's there?

Or 15 west to Bonner, and I've been there, theres all sorts of stuff.

Going east my Garmin shows me gas at exit 138 at Chalet Bearmouth.
    Anybody been there?

Or 28 miles east is Drummond which is a cool little town, and there's a route back from there to Garnet.

here's a map

Drummond would make it a 180 mile total for the day.

Anybody been up to Garnet lately?
    It looks from this web site here pretty official.
    I'm curious if anyone has any good ideas
    for where we should camp up there?

:ear

I did just order new maps from BLM of the area.
  3. dhaynes

dhaynes Alpha geek

Oddometer:
    If I recall correctly, last time I stopped there (and that was several years ago or so) it was seasonal and gas wasn't available when I looked for it.

If I have time/daylight then I always take Rock Creek Rd. when I'm coming back from the BigSky BMW in Missoula. It's a great ride along the river from I-90, all great scenery all the way to P-burg and on to Georgetown Lake. It might be considered an "alternate" route if anyone is on big iron and wants to avoid any thickets.

BTW who is bringing scuba gear to help you recover your bike if you decide to take it down to test depth again? :lol3
  4. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Just for kicks, I traced the first day route (starting with Putts .gpx file) in my mapping program and converted the route to gpx waypoints ... unfortunately, I STILL CAN'T GET THE ATTACHMENTS TO WORK, ...

Anyway, I got a distance of about 148 miles from Darby to Garnet if I interpolated between Putts' waypoints properly...

Hopefully I'll be able post attachments some day!! ANYONE WITH ADVICE, PLEASE SHARE!
  5. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, attachements aren't working on ADV at the moment, haven't been for a while, may not anytime soon. It's an adventure I guess. :dunno
  6. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
  7. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Hey look at that! That's fun! :thumb

Gonna start working over towards Helena next.
    You guys watching?

8. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Sweet, mang! :thumb

Lemme work that into my mapsource program and then will play around with it.

Would you send me a google map link to the tunnel location?

:wave
  10. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Oh, and where do you think would be a good spot to camp Monday night?

I'm thinking Tuesday night will be Pipestone, so Tuesdays ride can be somewhat circuitous, and I'd love for it to run through some tunnels.
  11. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Waiting for it!

I'll take a shot at a Virginia City, Ruby Reservoir, Centennial,
    Sheep Creek, Medicine Lodge, Bannack, Wise River piece.

Could also do Virginia City, Ennis, Gravelley Ridge?

This IS fun!
  12. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Info for the GPS challenged (such as myself):

The Montana State road map is quite good for viewing/followning the routes and it's topographic.

The DeLorme Montana Atlas & Gazetteer shows most roads (including Forest Service) in Montana and has the latitudinal/longitudinal info in the margins of each area map. Available from DeLorme online or from your local book store. It also shows BLM and State lands.
    By the time I get tired of marking the waypoints on to my state map, I'll probably go get a gps.
    If anyone needs a Montana State map, PM me with your addy & I'll send you one.

I'll post this info on the 1000 site also.
  14. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and generated a route from Virginia City to Wise River:
    Virginia City->Alder->Ruby Lake->Centennial->Monida->Dell->Sheep Cr.->Medicine Lodge-> Bannack->Wise River

It's about 235 miles.

You may download waypoints and route by browsing to:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/VaCity-WiseRvr1.gpx?attredirects=0&d=1

Click and "save file" and load into Google Earth to "fly" the route.

I see at least two alternatives worth considering:
    1. Instead of Viginia City->Alder->Ruby Lake ..
    Virginia City->Ennis->Gravelley Ridge ... Is Mid-July too early?

2. Instead of going to Wise River through Elkhorn from Bannack,
    backtrack to Hwy 324 and go over Lemhi Pass to Salmon, then
    to Darby?

I'll work on these alternatives in the next few days, depending on comments ..

Enjoy!
  15. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Hey MoonDog, nice map. Hold that thought, I'm gonna try to get through this thing one day at a time, m'kay.

jjmyzrider, I tried to put your map into my Garmin "Mapsource" and it won't autoroute. I'll play with it some more.

Say Beartooth, would you have a look at this map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...6.888355,-112.39563&spn=0.750831,2.458191&z=9

I can't get it to autoroute, but I'd like to use it. Any ideas on how we can get it to work in peoples GPS?

Also, jjmyzrider, where do you think we should make camp Monday night. I've been thinking somewhere around Marysville, but it doesn't really matter. Any ideas?
  16. Beartooth

Beartooth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll just make a file that has waypoints that folks can download as soon as the entire trip is put together.
  17. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Okay. So, on my "rough" map I'm working on, I'm going to put waypoints in at every turn for that Monday leg, and we'll forge ahead with jjmyzrider's route.
  18. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Dunno. But if you follow along you'll get enough info by the google maps and stuff to figure it out.

Oh shit.... be I getter get to another map before the end of the weekend.

Any thoughts on a good camping spot somewhere in the Marysville area from the Helena folks?
  19. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    One day at a time sounds great ...
    Since I'm most familiar with the Southwest, I'm just posting some ideas ... will be happy to do .gpx's for days as they are finalized.

I've done a little bit more refinement of a Virginia City to Wise River via Ruby Reservoir route ... may be more than one day, but ..

Get the updated .gpx file here:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/VaCity-WiseRvr1.gpx

and, you can see an image (.jpg) file with an elevation profile for this route AND the Sunday route draft I posted earlier (.gpx and .jpg) by browing here:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/
  20. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    I spent a few more minutes playing with possible "Southern" routes, for what it's worth.

First, the Gravelley Range road from Ennis to Red Rock Lakes in the centennial. About 75 miles with much above 9,000 feet in elevation; may not be possible in mid-July, depending on weather? Browse here for a .jpg map:
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/Gravelley_Range.JPG?attredirects=0

and here for a .gpx file of waypoints usable with Google Earth and others:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/Gravelley_Range.gpx

Second, I incorporated the Gravelley Range road into an alternative from Virginia City to Wise River via Ennis (instead of Alder and Ruby Reservoir).

Map image and .gpx waypoint files are here:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/VaCity-WiseRvr2.JPG?attredirects=0

and here:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/VaCity-WiseRvr2.gpx

Or, you can goto here
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/

for a table of my route .jpg and .gpx file links to date.

Hope this will help when the planning gets to this point. I'll post one or two more routes and can assist las needed.