Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Alrighty then, add this section to your map behind Virginia City if you can.

I know it's there, you can see it onm the satellite and some maps. The gazetteer has it.

My Garmin Topo has it ... but it won't route on it. :baldy

[​IMG]

And then, does anyone know the name of the resteraunt in either Lima or Dell that has a famous breakfast and truckers come from all around to eat there?

It was on "Backroads of Montana" the PBS show once. :ear
  2. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Used to be the "Calf-A" ... good grub a few years past, but don't know current status ..
  3. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, looks like that's the one. I'll check into it.
  4. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    Was still there my last time thru this past summer, still as good as it always was.
  5. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Done .. although I couldn't see a direct way across Wigwam Cr. as you show, I think the route in the map image (.jpg) and .gpx waypoint files here:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/VaCity-WiseRvr3.JPG?attredirects=0

and here:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/VaCity-WiseRvr3.gpx

are close.

All of the map files to date are available here
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/

Hope this helps.
  6. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The area above and around Marysville is very open with large meadows. You could throw a tent just about anywhere and hang your ass over a log. If you need a camp ground there isn't a established one up in that area that I know of.

Putts's map into the Gravs shows a route straight south of V. city and comes out up at Crocket Lake at Grav Range RD. The F.S. rd # is 290 I think, the eastern fork of that Rd is gated. The western fork is unexplored to me. For some reason or another I never seem to go that way when hunting or messing around. so that route should be verified if the route goes that way.

Moon dogs route has us turning at Axolotl lakes and heading twards the fish hatchery, which I know is do-able. A spot to camp in that area would be at clover meadows, there is an out house there. Oh! bear spray would be a must in that area, griz all over as of late years. I will be bringing the .44 bear spray for that area.
  7. gmsnowball

gmsnowball Black Bear Pass

Oddometer:
    Oklahoma Some Where, just east of spoobooty

I got the map today, thanks....I owe you a beer :1drink

Will the routes be V Strom friendly or should I bring another bike?
  8. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    I would say the route is mostly forest service road, and maybe some jeep trail here and there. I think a more dirt oriented dual sport may be a bit more steady than a Strom, but with the right tires, why not.
  9. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I'm riding the Uly XT. As long as the roads are Forest Service, it's not a problem. Single track = not so good.

Am also looking at the DeLorme Gazzetteer and FR 290 shows up plain as day. Pretty tough going around Axolotl Lakes, especially over 8k ft. Road becomes "unimproved" at best. Maybe I'll have the DT400 fired up by then and save the Uly for Westfest.
  10. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that bit behind Virginia City might be trouble. But it's only maybe 45 minutes longer to go around near ennis and get up to the Gravely Range Road from the NW.

Shit I gotta get the next map in place.

Here you Go jjmyzrider,

[​IMG]

Sadly my garmin software won't auto rout like your google map did, but it's there.

I did stop a little short behind Marysville.

The problem is that we're gonna be all spread out, so I need a hard coordinate the folks can focus on. Do you have any ideas of a good spot?

We can de a recon right befor the event and tweek the coordinant, but I need some kind of mark.

Something like here maybe?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=46.73...02,-112.325506&spn=0.041468,0.078878&t=p&z=14
  11. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, here is the problem I have, I know how to get through the area but not really sure on what is private and what is public. The spot you have marked on the map I think is private. I will sit down with a map some time next week and see what I can come up with. I think it makes most sense to try to stay close to Marysville, due to the bar and excellent steaks, lobster, and crab they serve. The less riding after boose the better im my opinion. I will work on this next week Mon or Tues.
  12. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:

Well, that makes a fuck of a lot of sense to me, but can a hundred motorcycles just invade Marysville and get away with it.

I'll try to get my hands on the BLM map of property ownership from up there,
    but I don't have any idea what's a doable site.

Thanks for taking a look at it.
  13. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I have the DeLorme maps out and there is no BLM land shown around Marysville. Closest public/state land looks to be Skelly Gulch area or Gould Rd at Canyon Creek.
    Going back to the Wigwam Creek area, there's some state land on Gravelly Range Rd.
  14. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with the Garnet-Lincoln-Marysville area, but took a few minutes and rendered a route that I believe represents Putts' route from 2/4. I included an alternate off of Stemple Pass Road to 279, then back to Marysville for kicks.

The part that looks a little iffiy is the fire road out of Darby ... maybe I have the wrong road, but doesn't look too well traveled on Google Earth ... could be poor satellite pic, too, I suppose?

Anyway, let me know how it looks? Image (.jpg) and .gpx waypoint files here:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/Garnet-Marysville%2BAlt.JPG?attredirects=0

and here:

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/Garnet-Marysville%2BAlt.gpx

BTW, by my estimation, the r Darby to Marysville and Virginia City to Wise River routes cover about 500 miles!

All of my map files to date plus a cool "Old Bannack Pass Road route are available here :

https://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/

Cheers!
  15. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Fire Road 702?
  16. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Google Earth shows BLM Rd2819, then McElwain Fire Rd 2840. The fire road shows on my topo maps, but hard to see in the Satellite with "roads" turned off in places ... probably o.k. if not closed?
  17. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at the DeLorme maps and don't see either, but it doesn't show any BLM roads. Have a landmark? ie: Spring Hill?
  18. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    The Delorme maps (Gazeteer) that I have just shows some dashed (unimproved) roads ... don't have the maps with me now, but will look for landmarks this p.m. ...
  19. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    I did get the .gpx file into google maps (don't need to install google earth, although it is more fun :1drink ) ;

Browse here and zoom in enough to see the road lables, etc.:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=46.862069,-113.171539&spn=0.265736,0.655746&t=h&z=11&msid=117263203842100717591.00047f1ac8238b505138e

Also, click on satellite for a better view?

I can't believe this google stuff is FREE.
  20. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell in relation to the DeLorme, but it looks like you're in Garnet. Don't see McElwain FR 2840. Most of the FR's shown in dashes are dead ends.
    I ride 141 going up to Whitefish. Gas in Ovando, Clearwater, Bearmouth.

Garnet in May:
    [​IMG]