Montana 1000 X Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Putts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. whenindoubt

whenindoubt whenindoubt

Oddometer:
    I live in the Bitteroot and Know of many cool places to incorperate, let me know if i can help
  2. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Well, look at that first days ride and tell me what you think.

And where in the Root do you live?
    :ear

Welcome to ADV!

Now fetch me a beer, n00b. :wave
  3. whenindoubt

whenindoubt whenindoubt

Oddometer:
    thanks for the welcome, how do you feel about going through the west fork, take N.F. road 44 to the Salmon. I Know its Idaho but the road goes from 8200 to 3500 in about 10 miles with great vistas into montana and idaho. then you can loop back into MT. through Tendoy pass taking a dip in Sharky Hot Springs along the way.
  4. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Was kinda trying to avoid ID, but .... can you make a google map?
  5. whenindoubt

whenindoubt whenindoubt

Oddometer:
    I can try I'm not very google map savvy but the view from Bluenose lookout back towards the bitteroot vally is a must see. there would be 96 miles of riding through Idaho, if you don't want to do it that time we should do it another, its pretty cool
  6. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Do you mean Lemhi Pass?

I believe Sharky Hot Springs is on the Warm Springs Road to Lemhi Pass, No? I suggested considering this as well; backtracking from Bannack on the return trip would be one way, but seems like it would be hard to do the Pioneer Scenic Byway (and Coolidge) as well?

Actually, this has me thinking (dangerous at best).

WHAT IF, on the return trip instead of going:
    Wise-River -> Big Hole Battlefield -> Chief Joeseph Pass -> Darby,

The route went
    Wise River -> Jackson -> Skinners Meadows (head of the big hole river), Bloody Dick Creek Road -> Cut over to Lemhi Pass Road -> Warm Springs Road (and Sharkey Hot Springs) -> FS 44 (not familiar with this) -> Darby ??

The road from Jackson through Skinners' Meadows is awesome ... lots of camp spots, too, including Reservoir Lake, a favorite of Dillon residents.

As I said, just some thoughts.

MD
  7. whenindoubt

whenindoubt whenindoubt

Oddometer:
    you are right but both passes meet at top so I incorrectly call them the same. You have a good idea though, I like it, there is so many places if we could just get them all in, National Forest Development Road 44 is a cool route.
  8. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all do respect, I must say get yourself a new map.
    [​IMG]

I know it is fuzzy, but the area in yellow is BLM, Green is F.S., White is private. The exact spot for camping will have to be visited when the snow subsides up there. I will have an area some time in May or June, unless the little amount of snow we have now melts.

We are missing the route from Helena (Marysville) to Virginia City

Putts you asked if we can drop on Marysville House with 100 or so, I asked and they said not a problem, however they are not normaly open on Tuesdays. I think that would be the day we are in that area. They will open for us if we want them to. I would ask them to, but I would feel horrible if only a few guys came to the bar to eat and drink. So, any way to get a rsvp or a count on people who will go there for sure? Also a group of 100 or so would have to eat in shifts, I don't think that would be a problem since we all will arive at different times, from taking different routes and what not.
  9. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Cool! Thanks. Well I think we should make it a point then, but is it an expensive place? Is there a store there? Gas?

Actually, the next stop is Pipestone. I've been working on a preliminary route and I'll post it tonight. But I'd really like input from you and the Helena guys .... it's a friggen maze back there, and we've got to burn a lot of miles going a short way.

I've incorporated the tunnel, but I've heard there were many. Do you know where there are any others?

Oh and check this link, it's an blm ownership interactive map. It's shitty but it works.
  10. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Putts,

First, mucho thanks for all you guys / gals are doing to plan the routes.

I've read through the thread & looked at a few of the routes and I clearly don't mind riding distance, but how will we be able to do much sightseeing / fishing if we're needing to knock off 200+ miles per day on the F/S roads?

I'll keep following the thread with GREAT interest. It's going to be the trip of the summer for me.

Timmer
  11. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    Be happy to work out off of the topo maps as well. Seems that waypoints end up right on the roads / trails shown on the satellite. How did the Garnet-Marysville look?

Could also take a cut at the Pipestone to VA City if it should help.

Thoughts on backtracking to Skinner Meadows / Lemhi Pass from Wise River?

MD
  12. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    I agree, I was trying to keep it more like 150. Right now, my Sunday map shows 180 but it has some easier bits. Second day is showing about 100. At the moment I planning about 800 in six days which is 133 mi/day. How's that sound?

It's worth mentioning to everybody that there will certainly be ways of short-cutting the ride if you'd like to take it even easier. I don't expect everyone to go the same way or in a big bunch. Sorta break up into natural groups riding in the day and mingle in an amorpous somewhat spread out blob of camps in the evening.
  13. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Let me get my map up tonight, but yeah, Pipestone to top of Gravelly Range Road Via Pony, Nevada City/Virginia City seems basically about right to me. I was thinking of heading toward Dillon and then swing south and east and come up behind Ruby Reservoir. Not a lot of opportunity for mountain riding on this one, but there's some open space that's not to boring out there.

The trick is gas and resupply as late in the day as possible 'Cuz gravelly to Dell is a pretty long stretch.

I think it makes it too long. I'm pretty happy with that first day. But I will suggest this, there will be lots of folks that need dirt day rides out of Darby for West Fest. I'd love for you to post some possibilities in the West Fest thread and then I'll point to them from the "Rides" post at the top of the thread. :thumb
  14. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Sorry, forgot to say:

Me too! :thumb
  15. iphorde

iphorde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fishing? I'm not traveling for 2.5 days to go fishing or to stop and smell flowers. :flug

:huh Are we really going to stop and fish? How about I bring a long gun and we go on a hunting trip as well. It should be wabbit season. :D

16. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty of this ride: there will be six GPS coords where we camp at night, and a suggested route, but you can go any way you want.

Oh, and from this page: Currently rabbits may be hunted year-round in Montana with no bag limits.

So, sure, rabbit hunting is fine.
  17. MoonDogMT

MoonDogMT ride on

Oddometer:
    O.k., I'll give that a shot asap.

In the meantime, I roughed out waypoints from Marysville to Boulder that might help you. There's one spot were it looks like a mine that might be tricky access-wise, but need to get over the divide. Also, went through Rimini and there is an obvious direct route with less road but backtracking on Hwy 12. Browse here to get the .gpx file:

[http://sites.google.com/site/motorcycleroutesmt/Marysville-Boulder.gpx

Again, hope this helps.

I'll give it a shot in the next few days, Putts.

md
  18. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Alrighty Helena folks, here's what I've got from Marysville to Pipestone.

[​IMG]

Love to hear suggestions about things we're missing.

Here's a gpx file of the route so far.
  19. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    "With all do respect, I must say get yourself a new map."

+1
    That, and learn to read it better. :doh
  20. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    I made a Google map by adding to the one jjmyzrider made:

Garnet to Marysville to Pipestone

I can't make the Google map do it, but the GPS route has the tunnel at Wickes on it.

Any things we should divert to include? Other potential routes?

:ear