Montesa Cota 4RT R-Racing proto-type shock

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Vintage pro, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finishing up a longer travel shock for the Montesa 4 RT, over 80 shock parts to assemble to make work correctly as you see from the picture. Have a few members that have given me pictures to go forward on the project. Sending off dummy shock to finalized fitting positions / and line lengths. Shock will have over 7 1/2" of travel. 102_0529.JPG .
  2. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    A comparison with the standard Ollie shock and the Ohlins. Over a 1/2" more shaft travel. 102_0530.JPG 102_0530.JPG
  3. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I wonder what the travel difference between a Showa and the Ollie is as well as the Ohlins...
  4. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  5. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was thinking about what you said about the top eye yesterday. Do you want me to send you the TRP after I get my shock back.The body is on the bottom solving the routing problem with air box. You can play with it and I’ll buy it back improved or you can sell it and send me a few bucks back. Obviously no hurry on either
  6. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    When you get the Ollie back and ride with the settings we can discuss what to do with the TRP, the length problem.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Got all the measurement information/ pictures and so forth back from Jonathan Carey to build a prototype for the Montesa Cota. ( thank you, Jon ) Have Paul Oswell who is a good Clubman rider coming up to test the valving setting on his Montesa, I respect his judgments on the outcome as he is a Captan on an airline that flies international flights to Japan. He has won the SCTA Clubman championship some years back so I should get good feed-back. I also built an Emulsion version of this Ohlins to boot. ( no reservoir on shock ) The shock has 72mm travel with-out bump cushion.

Attached Files:

8. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Some interesting facts I've found on working on the different brands of shock linkage is the Sherco, TRS, Montesa Ollie shocks have the same valving stacks and linkage ratos.
    Huzband, Brewtus and jonnyc21 like this.
  9. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems viable, essentially the same chassis leverage and expected rider weight should be very similar shim stack specs on the same shock design.

Like mtb stuff, most xc bikes have similar valving when the leverage ratios / design are nearly the same. Not enough difference in speed of the vehicle to get big changes like on MX or Enduro.

Cool info, thanks.
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.
  10. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    5 weeks ago I had Paul Oswell come up to my place to test my Ohlins remote reservoir shock built for the Montesa 4t. ( he has a 2018 300r ) In the process of installing the shock, we found the top mounting hole would not line up to the mount, ( off less than 1/8" ) because the top line fitting was hitting on an aluminum bracket on the front of the shock mount not allowing the hole to line-up in the mounting hole. If it was my personal bike I would have just used one of my air porting tools and carved-out the needed clearance as the bracket is very thick and 1/8" dimple in the peace would not be any issue. I thought about just reversing the shock so the body would be on the bottom to fix that problem but I didn't have time to change to decompress the Nig. for a longer line along with reorientation where the reservoir would reside on the twin spar. ( Paul had to be back in Southern Calif that evening )
    Fortunately, I had the forethought to build an Emulsion Ohlins type shock with the same travel built into the design with-out the reservoir compression clicker on the shock. Tested the shock on the bike with-out spring and shock has over 7 1/2" of usable travel using 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" free sag for the set-up.

Very interesting to see the look on Paul's face after riding for 20 mins on the same bike he's been riding over the years, your perception changes from the added traction, timed released unloading of the rear wheel, added stability of the bike on uneven ground, rocks and so forth. It's more than just the feel of the bike you adjust to it's an experience of change you are adjusting to of what the bike is now giving you, much easier bike to ride.
    I'm very happy with the shock in the meantime hopefully I'll be able to install the remote reservoir on his bike to compare, I'm always striving to improve to give added enjoyment to all brands.

Attached Files:

11. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As many may know I am a R Racing long travel believer, First used on my 2014 GasGas Race, then 2017 Sherco Factory and now the Beta Ohlins long travel. If anyone in the Northern Pa. area that wants to take a test ride on my Beta 4T with R Racing long travel let me know.

R Racing 4T.jpg
    DyrWolf and jonnyc21 like this.
  12. Vintage pro

Oddometer:
    Paul Oswell rode the event with the Emulsion longer travel shock at Lucerne Valley this weekend on the Clubman line, wasn't able to talk to him till the event was over. After the event, I asked how he did and if he's through with testing with shock. He said I'm through testing, I want the shock as is 'how much" not even interested in the remote reservoir Ohlins. He finished either 3rd or 4th, not far off winning.
  13. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once you experience a longer-travel Ohlins it's hard to go back to shorter/harsher feeling!
    wheelieman14 and jonnyc21 like this.
  14. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I can now say I am a longer-travel Ohlins convert... detailed review for how it rides on my 300RR to come soon.
  15. irishgb

irishgb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally agree !! have been using mine for several years ,and a recent service has made it the best feeling rear trials suspension I have ever experienced !!! For anyone who may be skeptical about using a soft long travel Ohlins built By R Racing I recommend you keep an open mind and just think "what have I got to loose" ? Don't focus on the Soft or Long travel but on performance and the confidence building feeling . add to that they are fully rebuildable and you can have it follow you to your next bike .
  16. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Update: I had an unexpectedly crazy weekend so haven't completed writing up my review yet so here is a second teaser... Grip on zap/roll-ups is so much better, its like being glued to the wall in comparison to the Showa!

Here you go!

Fitment: Went on with a little modification of a bracket. I pulled the air box and disconnected the wire harness and tweaking and re-routing the bracket just a bit to get it all setup.

Adjustments: Love the extra adjustability of the new shock. Getting separate rebound and compression settings really is great, it has already let me dial back the rebound and add just s click of compression to get the front and rear matching fantastic.

Feel and Riding:
    Motobene and others have talked about the difference and as I suspected after reading their posts I know understand the difference.
    Plush was how I used to describe the Showa and this one is even more so. Tell now the Showa had been the best shock I have been on, even comparing it with a Beta Evo 4T, Gas Gas TXT Pro, TRS One, and Montesa 4RT 260 with the TPR shock.
    The new shock has fantastic compliance on harsh terrain, and by this I mean the grip is much better, I am able to feel when the rear is starting to slip more precisely and it inspires more confidence with an increase in stability.
    I am adjusting to the difference in the timing of the suspension quickly only a couple of rides and maybe 3-4 hours on it and already nearing the same level as I was riding on my Showa. The grip on zap/roll-ups is fantastic; it’s like being glued to the wall in comparison to the Show. I haven’t done a splatter with it yet but I am expecting it to be excellent.

Final landing spot of the reservoir.

IMG_5193.JPG
    wheelieman14 and DyrWolf like this.
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I am almost done writing up my post. I am re-reading/tweaking it and should have it up in the next day or two tops. Final teaser... I love how stable it is in the rock pile... yummy!
    DyrWolf likes this.
  18. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a TRP shock that I used for about a hour and a half while @VintagePro was rebuilding my Olle shock. Its at the Tryals Shop for sale but if it doesn’t sell by Christmas maybe I will treat myself and send it to VintagePro and see what magic he can work on it. Although I must say Im happy with the Olli now and it took me 2 years to get the bike all dialed in for me. I really need to get out more
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  19. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer: