Montreal to Denver route help

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by GSL, May 31, 2002.

1. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Taking a little ride this summer, Denver, CO, to Deal's Gap, and then to Montreal to party with some friends. I got all of that part of the trip planned out but now I'm working on the route home.

The obvious, most direct route is Montreal to Toronto, to Detroit, to Chicago then I-80/76 it in to Denver.

But I'm looking at the maps and thinking Ontario's route 17 between Ottawa and Sault Ste. Marie, then U.S. 2 and U.S. 8 over to St. Paul, MN looks pretty good and a lot less citified. Plus, it'll push me just over a 2,000 mile threshold and qualify for a IBA SS2K (2,000 miles in 48 hours).

I've never been on the stretch of road between Ottawa and Sault Ste. Marie. Can anyone here recommend this route or give it thumbs down?

My criteria for good endurance ride roads:
    1. Low density of johnnies. I like to cruise along a little over the limit. :evil
    2. Low density of RVs (this one has me worried because route 17 is desginated "scenic".
    3. If 2-lane, must have some wide open straight stretches for passing above mentioned RVs. Basically, I love twisty roads, but not on endurance rides.
    4. Good road surface and preferably an adequate number of gas stations.

Thoughts? :ear
  2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the moose! :eek:

As for Thunder Bay, I wish I had the time. My route home via the Sault stands at 2186 miles in two days. We're taking 10 days to get to Montreal and 2 to come back, and using that opportunity for an SS2K. I'd be looking at back to back 1,300 milers to go to Thunder Bay (if only I were traveling alone :evil ). However, I will add it to my "to-do" list. :1drink