Montrose to Moab via Gateway and John Brown Canyon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by highlandcycles, May 5, 2008.

1. highlandcycles

highlandcycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so I am going to try to do a ride report for the first time using Smugmug. If it doesn't go well then I am sorry and I will try again later.

First off, we met at my shop Sunday morning at about eight. I was supposed to be earlier but Mika met one of Montrose Finest on the way to the shop. Here is Adam infron of the shop waiting for our criminal
    [​IMG]

We slabbed it all the way to gateway because the Plateau is still covered in snow. Mika and Adam ready to get off of the highway and into Unaweep Canyon for some twisties.
    [​IMG]

When we got to Gateway we met Wally and got some gas and treats for the ride. This pic is Wally, Mika and Adam from left to right.
    [​IMG]

We headed up out of Gateway via John Brown Canyon and enjoyed great weather and spectacular scenery. This is Adam tearing it up on the KLR
    [​IMG]

Wally was enjoying his new-ish Vstrom and the warm weather.
    [​IMG]

The nice part about the trip is that there are tons of signs pointing you in the right direction, you hardly need a map or GPS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is more or less the highpoint (elevation wise) of the road, you can see the La Salles in the background.
    [​IMG]

Adam was stoked to see the red rocks of the Moab area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortuneatly as some of you know Wally had an accident on the way down the pavement towards Moab. You can see his skid marks here. He slid all of the way off of the road. This is why you wear you gear.
    [​IMG]

The Strom was a little worse for wear but still rideable
    [​IMG]

Wally hit is head and side pretty hard so we flagged a car down and got him a ride into Moab to get checked out. Turns out his head was fine (small concussion) and I haven't heard the difinitive answer yet on his ribs but he was pretty sure he broke some. Maybe some damage to his shoulder too. We will find out soon and let you all know.

Adam headed back after we shuttled Wally's Stom down the hill to hang out with his Wife and kid.

After making sure Wally was OK and getting his wife on the way Mika and I decided to go back using part of the Kokopelli trail so we headed up Onion Creek towards Fischer Valley. We must have crossed the creek 20 times, it was a blast. And what a cool Canyon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We headed up to where you can get back to John Brown Canyon Road and road through some pretty deep sand and a few rocks but the 990 and the strom did well. Mika saved what I thought was an inevitable dump in the sand. Unfortuneately I wasn't quick enough with the camera so here is the view we had up top. Not bad (that is fischer valley in the distance)
    [​IMG]

After some wallowing we jumped back on the JB road and headed back for Colorado. Here's Mika at the state line. Nice marking job??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It isn't too far from there to Gateway so we just booked it on back to Montrose. We hit Mo-town around 7:00 pm after leaving at about 8:30am. Not a bad day of riding and Mika had to head all the way back to Crested Butte where he had left at 6:00 am that morning in 17 degree weather.

This is just the first of many Highland Cycles Adventure Rides. Hope more of you can join us next time.
  2. highlandcycles

Oddometer:
    OK, how do I get those pics to just show up instead of just a link. Sorry folks this is my first real ride report with pictures.
  3. highlandcycles

Oddometer:
    Figured it out:rofl
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report and pics.. looks like a very good ride, glad no one was hurt, ATGATT :thumb
  5. mesaliving

mesaliving Making it happen

Oddometer:
    RIGHT ON!!! I'll be back with pics.....and a few more details...
  6. mesaliving

Oddometer:
    Great Day....great riders.....

A few more pics of the day...

The LaSals (small group of mountains just outside of Moab)
    LaSals.jpg
  7. mesaliving

Oddometer:
    on to MOAB....
    ADV990.jpg
  8. mesaliving

Oddometer:
    Morgan's Salute :fyyff

thesalute.jpg
  9. mesaliving

Oddometer:
    John Brown Canyon :clap
    johnbrownII.jpg
  10. mesaliving

Oddometer:
    Arriving back in Gateway....:ricky

Gateway.jpg

I am too figuring out all the photo stuff.....perhaps a smug account is in my future.

Hope you enjoyed....we certainly did
  11. Scottysix9

Scottysix9 Shhh...

Oddometer:
    Well done, and a Smugmug account is worth the price.

Highland, where is your website? I love checking out local, and not so local shops. I think I bought some socks at your store last year. And a ratio-rite.
  12. the wookie

the wookie Can haz throttle?

Oddometer:
    I was in Moab last summer. Most of that scenery looks familiar :)

I envy you guys!
  13. highlandcycles

Oddometer:
    Don't have a website yet, too busy fixing motorcycles and ATV's. We are the guys North of Montrose. Anytime anyone wants to go ride, let us know. We are a small shop and we can get away sometimes to ride. Take care, thanks for the kudos on the ride report.