Moose and Mini Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Moose_DK, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Moose_DK

Moose_DK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was time to get to a totally different place... Las Vegas.. We figured that since it was on the way we would make a small detour and check out Route 66!! The mother road...
    [​IMG]

There is a few fun stops on route 66 on the piece we did, but mostly its just like any other road... LONG
    [​IMG]

We needed caffeine to stay awake!
    [​IMG]

Fun stuff on route 66
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we made i Las Vegas... and the first thing we did was to hit the Buffet at the Bellagio.
    [​IMG]

Well Camilla and I mostly just did the dessert part of it!
    [​IMG]

since we only had two days I figured it would be fun to see all the important stuff from a limo.. So I surprised the family with a limo ride around town to see all we HAD to see.

LARS....look up!!!
    [​IMG]

It ended up being an evening with lots of bubbles!!
    [​IMG]

First stop.. The Sires of TI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stop. the Volcano at The Mirage.
    [​IMG]

Then the fountain at the Bellagio
    [​IMG]

and of cause we had to stop and get pictures at the Las Vegas sign! that is a classic
    [​IMG]

And then Fremont street and the Fremont street experience.
    [​IMG]

This guy was a better artist than most I have seen, so I got myself a Las Vegas spray paint picture!
    [​IMG]

Next day... to be honest I did have a little bit of a hangover! and we all made it to the hotel safely... well except for my phone... I think maybe I left it at the limo!

Be we spend most of the day checking out town.

Camille found Elvis and his brothers.
    [​IMG]

and Christian found a place too cool down a little.
    [​IMG]

For lunch there was one place I just had to go.. The heart attack grill... not the original one in pheonix, but the new las vegas one.
    [​IMG]

Just look at that thing..!
    [​IMG]

I never made it all the way.....
    [​IMG]

Just look at those big...........burgers!
    [​IMG]

in the afternoon we walked around town again mostly went into some of the big hotels to see how they looked inside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At night we went out to see one of the big cirque du soleil shows.. We had choosen KA, be cause I had seen something about it on discovery channel.. WE had spend quite a few dollars on good seat, but let me tell you... I was all worth it.
    It was really really really amazing.
    Too bad we could not take pictures.... but if you get the chance you should really go see it!

Later that night Camilla and needed some alone time so we went out to get a small drink!
    [​IMG]

I was working hard on it...
    [​IMG]

and then after a good night sleep... we headed back out on the road to check out DEATH VALLEY!
  2. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"we headed back out on the road to check out DEATH VALLEY! "

Hmmm... better take that drink with you.

[​IMG]
  3. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Bye Bye Vegas
    [​IMG]

I guess once a time when the economy was better there used to be pictures on the bill boards here
    [​IMG]

The sign was right.. it was really hot.. I think we hit 115 degrees... but the week after we was there it 123 degrees!!!
    [​IMG]

it was not only hot.. but really really windy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christian was almost flying away!
    [​IMG]

Welcome to Badwater!!
    [​IMG]

On our way out of death valley the wind was picking up the sand and we got ourselves a little sandstorm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckely we missed most the sand.
    [​IMG]

but we got out and in the distance we could still see all the sand in the air.
    [​IMG]

So it got a little late so we decided to just sleep at a motel. this is only my third night in a motel here..
    pretty impressive I think when I think about how many days we have been on the road.

NEXT stop Yosemite!
  4. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Yosemite.. tourist hell!!

On the way we stopped for lunch at Mono Lake.
    [​IMG]

It was still REALLY windy.
    [​IMG]

Well not too bad but really.. maybe they should have more than one guy working at the entrance.
    [​IMG]

There is some great view going over Tioga pass.
    [​IMG]

Ok maybe this shows it better.
    [​IMG]

I actually dont know if we was allowed to collect firewood, but I didnt see any signs.. sooo....
    [​IMG]

and we made BBQ ribs again... ribs, lots of BBQ sauce and then two hours over the fire... PERFECT!
    [​IMG]

Birgits (Camillas mom) back was hurting bad so she had to get a little help to get up..
    [​IMG]

didn't work out the first time, but aren't they cute.
    [​IMG]

dont know what happened .. but Lars is on fire!
    [​IMG]

Next morning Christian went up to check out Glacier Point.
    We told him that he had to have proof that he made it up there... So...
    [​IMG]

Camilla and went out for a morning hike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way back to the camp.
    [​IMG]

after lunch we road back to our basecamp in Oakland.
    [​IMG]

I can recommend highway 120 just east of Yosemite!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and we made it all the way even thoug I had a little accident....just kidding...
    [​IMG]
  5. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I can't believe I missed that you were back in the US! :clap Not only you & Camilla, but family too, that's awesome. Love the new updates.

You guys have fun and stay cool!
  6. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Well we made it back to Oakland and since many thing is cheaper here than in Denmark we went out shopping.

Camilla was REALLY ready! and she got to drive the truck!
    [​IMG]

Among other things we went to Cyclegear in Sacramento since it the largest one around.
    I didnt really need anything but it always fun to go there. Well I guess there is a lot of thing I would like to have....but......
    [​IMG]

Camilla playing Xbox... fun fun fun
    [​IMG]

We all went out for a nice family dinner.....
    [​IMG]

and celebrated Lars´s birthday
    [​IMG]

And then I had to leave them all to go to Los Angeles to be a part of the McPfluger racing team at the X-Games.... That really sucked!!!
    [​IMG]
  7. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    So as mentioned a long time ago I got the chance to be a part of the McPfluger racing team and go to the X games in LA. My good friend peter from denmark was supposed to race but he crashed a few weeks ago and ruptured his spleen and liver.
    [​IMG]
    But a guy from Belgium had also gotten a wild cart to the Enduro Cross at the x games so he got to ride the bike instead. See more about him at hes website: http://www.fredcrosset.com/
    [​IMG]

Here we are at Glen Helen OHV area for a GoldenTire promotion day. Goldentire had sponsored us tires for pratice and race and also gave Fred the chance to practice a little on the bike before the race.. That also gave us...well mostly our friend Douglas to set up the suspension.
    [​IMG]

check out Goldentire: http://www.goldentyre.it/index_eng.htm

Goldentire make some amazing stuff. Among other things an Extreme Enduro tire... I think they have made it from gummibears! ITs called GT216X. We also got an extreme enduro mousse that was very soft..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the tire and even it is very soft it last longer than you would expect... but the mousse is something else.. I bet its perfect for a race or two but after I have used i 3 times in the woods its dead. It like there is nothing in the tire anymore!
    I am planning to pull it out this weekend to see how it looks.

Practice day was really cool and Fred was doing good.. even if it was Really hot that day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then there is the professional guys. They are amazing!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On friday we went out to another place to give Fred a chance to practice.. A local guy had this track in he´s backyard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well since we was there we wanted to see some of the other stuff that was going on..

One night there was something called "Step-up"
    Its pretty much how high you can jump on a mx bike without killing yourself.
    [​IMG]

And I spend a lot of time watching the Freestyle guys.. Those guys are just crazy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But sometimes they crash... it must really hurt!
    Nice backflip.......
    [​IMG]

and then....
    [​IMG]

We also got to check out some of the other sports.

Rally cars
    [​IMG]

Pit girls
    [​IMG]

Skate boarding
    [​IMG]

and Girls
    [​IMG]

a real HotWheels race!
    [​IMG]

and weird people!!
    [​IMG]

and then there was sunday... raceday!!

We started out by checking out the track..
    [​IMG]

I was really fun to see the track and really see how hard it really is!
    [​IMG]

and then being in the pits.. really being a part of it.. Se how it all works and see how well prepared the professionals are. With all their mechanics and support crew.
    but we where doing good....... I little tired maybe...
    [​IMG]

Rider meeting.
    [​IMG]

For me one of the biggest hings was to be up at the starting line in the second heat... The noise, and smell and all the excitement! Holy s.... that was cool
    [​IMG]

and pit girl!
    [​IMG]

First heat went ok.. Fred did not win but we wasn't really expecting that.. not at all after we had seen some of the other racers at practice.
    [​IMG]

Here is a few pictures from the race
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the hot laps in the afternoon we had lost the chain guard on the gasgas and cam back to bite us in the as in the second heat.
    Fred got the rear wheel stuck between two rocks and thereby the chain fell of.
    [​IMG]

well that was actually pretty cool for me.. I got to run out on the track after the heat, put on the chain and ride it out!
    [​IMG]

It was all just a very good experience and really... how often do you get the chance to go to the Xgames as a part of a team!
    [​IMG]
  8. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Douglas, Christian and I had the job to get the racebike and our stuff back from Los Angeles.

[​IMG]

but instead of just going the boring way on interstate 5 we decided to drive on Highway one most of the way from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
    [​IMG]

even though we was all a little tired
    [​IMG]

we all really had great day
    [​IMG]

we even stopped in for wine tasting in a little town called harmony and also checked out the class making place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the way back we stopped at BJ´s brewhouse for dessert! a giant cookie with vanilla icecream.
    [​IMG]
  9. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    WE dont have an independence day in denmark.. well that not really true.. we are celebrating day the germans left denmark after 2. world war.

anyways... Christian and I went to the little local Cafe where they had a 4th of july BBQ.
    [​IMG]

lots of food and music!
    [​IMG]

in the afternoon we found out there was Sprint Car races in placerville at the fair grounds so we went in there to see what it was. I have never seen Sprint cars before, but it was REALLY fun.
    [​IMG]

they rarely made it more that a few laps before someone crashed!
    [​IMG]

Nice parking by the way!
    [​IMG]

after the races we waited around to we could see the fireworks.
    I really really want a pickup truck. Its just great to sit there in the back og the truck.
    [​IMG]

We also spend some time in Oakland fixing the bikes after the big family trip... new tires for example.
    I guess new oil is next, and a really need to figure out why the DRZ is starting to wobble over 60 miles an hour.. it only used to start over 70 miles an hour........
    [​IMG]

and the way we went in for a movie.. first time EVER at the drive in movies!
    [​IMG]

It was a lot of fun! and by the way... I only made it like 3 inches down the popcorn!!
    [​IMG]

and we went in to San Francisco and played tourists for a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lombart street
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

REALLY??????
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little trip on highway one north of San Francisco... Great roads for biking by the way!
    [​IMG]

Just GREAT!
    [​IMG]

And we visited Muir Woods.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

there is some strange animals living in those woods.........
    [​IMG]
  10. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    So today is Christians last days and he is flying home tomorrow.. then it is just me for the next three weeks before I am flying home to do my last year of school!

Christian have spend the last few day up at the cabin riding dirt bikes and just relaxing!
    On the way up there we visited the California State fair in Sacramento.
    I love they have a monorail train!!
    [​IMG]

I have got to stop drinking i guess.......:freaky
    [​IMG]

Chevrolet was there and we could try out cars at a little track.
    [​IMG]

nice little car...... REALLY FAST! and since we was the only people there... (the had just opened) we was allowed to give it a little extra throttle!!
    [​IMG]

and got to see the horse races.. I have never seem that before.. I tried to read the horse race newspaper.. but I really didn't understand a word!
    [​IMG]

and I got to taste a deep fried snickers. 2 bites and I was done!!
    [​IMG]

also there was women who could hypnotize people.. Really really fun! She could get them to do anything!! One guy wa sure he was a secret agent!
    [​IMG]

We where out racing a lot at the cabin too. It was a lot of fun.
    Even though Christian is mostly used to riding race bikes he was a really fast learner.
    [​IMG]

one day I was out for something like 5 hours.. when I got back I was really tired.
    Do I look tired???
    [​IMG]

Douglas showed us us a cool place to go cool down.
    [​IMG]

and get some sun!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Douglas also showed us where there was a cool old gold mine we could explorer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

maybe not the best idea.. but really fun..
    [​IMG]

Animals at the cabin..

Lots of deer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What the fuck is that?????
    [​IMG]

Well Christian is going home tomorrow and I dont really know what I will do.. mostly I think I am just going to the cabin and go riding a lot! Maybe go and try to do the Rubicon trail on the DRZ or..... I dont know!
    Only thing I have planned is going to Laguna Sega for the GP race.
  11. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... looks like a 'Caddis Fly' adult. (Aka 'Fishfly' Family).
    Was it found (somewhat) close to moving water?

[​IMG]

Photo.... maybe a 'Grey Fishfly'

[​IMG]
  12. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Yes it was... thanks..

13. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    If you're still in the mountains... go down to a creek and take a look at the stones. You'll probably find these critters... larvae of your fish fly.
    Note: If you pull the larva out of it's cocoon... they are great trout bait

[​IMG]

Have you been to Bodie (ghost town) yet? If not, that's an adventure... over right next to Mono Lake.
  14. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    :bow

I was thinking that it couldn't get any better than what you already posted! I was wrong!!!

:clap

:lurk

SS
  15. rlkefauver

rlkefauver kefakruiser

Oddometer:
    Finally made it to the last page of your RR. Hope you're enjoying your "ME" time at the cabin. Good luck once you get back home at finishing up your schooling and thanks for giving me something to do at work between tasks. All these trips to Vegas and seeing the Elvis's...I think there is an Elvis wedding chapel, might even be drive thru...you could do it on the DRZ's and continue on to MOAB... :rofl :evil Moose and Mini's Wedding adventure 2013!!

Mini, I hope he's not just dragging his feet and you have a masterplan all worked out. :freaky

Can't wait to see the conclusion of this visit and the future one's hopefully coming up.

Cheers, Rick
  16. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Hi
    So I have made it home and startet school... BOOOORIIIINNG!!!

Well I had a little time so I figured I would get the last things updatet from the trip this summer.

It is going to be a little fast and mostly just a few pictures..

After my brother in law, Christian, had returned home I was ALL alone.. no not really.. its good with good friends al over the place..
    My new friend Douglas and I figured out there was a destruction derby at the Californa state fair. I had never seen that so I really wanted to go.

I was actually really fun!! 4 car smashing into each other until they brake down.. that is something I can understand..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the drivers chrashed ... well who would have figured... but he was unlucky and brooke hes leg.. so the firetruck and ambulance came and they had to cut him out of the car.!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the last race was a RV destruction derby.. that was FUNNY.. Those things are not build for that.. and stuff was flying all over... among other things a fridge suddenly cam flying out of one of them!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and they fought until the last drop of cooler fluid... and then some!
    [​IMG]

we skipped dinner and went straight to dessert!!!! Funnelcake!!
    [​IMG]

on our way back Douglas and I could se a big storm out in the distance... so we made a little detour so I could try and get some cool lightning pictures... that is actually something that has been on my to do list for year! but this is the first time I had a chance...

We found a nice spot on a hill and sat there for at least an hour just watching the lightning.
    [​IMG]

Its was really amazing..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty cool night!!
  17. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    I was so lucky that I got the chance to go to Lagune Sega to watch the Moto GP race this summer.. I have only seen moto gp in Assen in Holland a few years back so it was cool to get the chance to see it here too!

We loaded up the toyhauler and went out for a little road trip to get there.. The first part was pretty interesseting. Well just see the road on the GPS.
    [​IMG]

I just love going to races and I always end up walking around taking pictures.. so here is a few!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rossi... on the back.. haha
    [​IMG]

Vasting champagne!!
    [​IMG]

There is a LOT of people here!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really Really great seats!!!
    [​IMG]

Real Ducati fans next door!!
    [​IMG]

My good friends ready for the race!
    [​IMG]

You have got to love the pit girls!!
    [​IMG]

STOP.. I know what you was looking at!!!!!! :eek1:eek1
    [​IMG]

and how do you like this bike... I looks fast!
    [​IMG]

So all in all a really cool Weekend!!!
    [​IMG]
  18. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    So my last week I mostly spend at the cabin..

One thing I really had fun doing was going out with a few friends and shoot guns!!!
    [​IMG]

What a bunch of rednecks.... in a really good way ...:clap:clap
    [​IMG]

One night there was a pretty big storm and I was of course ready with my camera... and this time I had a little practice so I think the pictures came out really cool!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and now the bikes is clean and ready for next time!
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to make my way home to Oakland so I could pack my things and get ready to go home!
    [​IMG]

I got to the airport a little early... but that is a good thing! especially when you have lounge acces!!
    [​IMG]
  19. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    So that was all for this summer!! I honestly dont know what our plans are for the future.. I know we are NOT done traveling.. I we would both like to see more of the world.. So I could imagine that this thread will continue for a long long time!
  20. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Nice lightening shots.... :thumb