More fun with carbon/kevlar

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BigTwin, Mar 14, 2004.

1. BigTwin

BigTwin Adventure Hound

Oddometer:
    I broke my right arm six weeks ago on my 525 exc so I've fallen a little behind on making up kevlar tank guards. The cast will come off and the pins will get pulled out tomorrow. I guess the plate and screws will stay in place.
    I have been messing around in the garage for the last couple of weeks now, and since Flanny asked about carbon/kevlar stone protection for the upper fairing, I figured I'd give it a shot. These would have to be held in place with silicon.

Attached Files:

2. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Looks very slick. Any idea when you'll be ready to sell a few? Hope your arm is fully recovered soon.
  3. razcob

razcob Dromedary

Oddometer:
    If you described your crash, I missed the thread. How did you break your arm (speed, incline, terrafirma, etc..) ? What kind of protective equipment were you wearing? Could you of prevented it by the way you fell? How old are you?
  4. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your fracture.

I am super pleased with the tank guard you made for me. It is beautiful! Everyone that has seen it has commented on how nicely made it is. Even the folks at Scuderia West in San Francisco, who are selling the KTM product, commented on it when I brought the bike in for service. Great job!

Heal quickly. :thumb
  5. merlin

merlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big Twin, It looks good to me...Just let me know when your ready for orders....
  6. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I Spoke with Kent Riches of Air Tech last week- he has all of the bodywork from my 950 and has decided to tool up to make carbon fiber replacement bits. He felt he could save an easy 10 pounds on the tanks alone. No word on pricing, but he has been reasonable in the past and will probably be cheaper than factory plastic. He will be making fenders, upper fairing sides, tanks, "glovebox", and sidecovers- everything KTM painted as well as the rear fender pieces. I expect he should have parts available for sale by mid-summer. There's more than one way to get a black 950!
    http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/
  7. Grover

Grover Blinkenlights Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's to a speedy recovery mang. :1drink

The guards look fantastic! Though - is silicon really going to be enough to hold them from dropping off after hot summer days and splashing around with water crossings and rain days? I wouldn't know either way - just curious.
  8. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I was just getting ready to ask people if they new where you Have been. Sorry to hear about that arm. Riding a fast dirt bike can be dangerous better to ride a really fast and huge dirt bike it tends to amke one more cautious I hope you heal well and by the way my tanks gaurds are flawless also
  9. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

WOW!

They look awesome! I knew they would be the ticket... :thumb

You 'da man! :clap
  10. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the arm, heal up fast. The owner of my shop also commented on the looks and quality of guards. The new pieces look very nice also.
  11. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Incredible talent!
    I hope you are healing nicley and will be ready to ride soon!

The center stand is a godsend! Thanks.

Get well!