More Small Bikes and More Big Canyons

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cwc, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Nice report! :thumb

I like the gigantic bag of cheesy poofs :D

What CC is the XT?
  2. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Morelos
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day
    <o:p></o:p>
    The first part of today’s route was the most challenging, but less dusty than in years past. There were still lots of switchbacks and steep climbs on the way to Polanco. After Polanco it was a little more open but the views were still great.
    Dean sez:
    10 Feb 08
    Sunday morning, we left Batopilas traveling south, our first stop several miles out of town was at the lost mission, where the local town folks were busy trying to tidy it up and keep it in good repair, it is very picturesque in the valley setting. The weather was about perfect for riding and had a great ride through the valleys and mountain passes to Morelos. On our way to Morelos we saw a number of various animals along the roads and in the small villages, just wandering to their liking, donkeys, mules, cattle, goats, chickens, and pigs. Of course everywhere are stray dogs of every size, color, and breed, or lack there of. In Morelos we stopped to get petrol, at the station Charlie exhibited signs of dehydration, and by luck the clinic was right across the street. A couple of the riders walked Charlie up the grade to the clinic and Dr. Arturo’s friend Martin (pronounced Marteen), was the RN at the clinic and he attended Charlie right away. After getting some proper fluids into Charlie, we moved to the hotel that Richard had secured for us for the night. Six other riders from Minnesota and Wisconsin, along with Richards’s son from Missouri came into town and got rooms too. We all ate supper and breakfast the next morning at Martins house where his wife operated a small restaurant, good hearty food and plenty of it.
    The clinic system operated by the gov’t, runs on a barter system of community service in exchange for medical services.

Any dehydration I suffered was a result of expelling fair amounts of liquid from various orifices. I think I got a bit of bad food. Bill suffered a milder form of the same thing. This was my first such experience in Mexico, but I’d had similar experiences in the US so I knew what to expect and what to do about it.
    John and others took care of getting my stuff transported to the hotel and John prevailed on Chuck R. to switch rooms so I wouldn’t have so far to go to the bathroom. Thanks to John and Chuck and all who helped me out.
    [​IMG]
    A rest break on the way to Polanco
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lunch at Polanco. The best burritos of the trip.
    [​IMG]
    John and Richard pose on the bridge at San Miguel.
    [​IMG]
    Dean’s posse carried his pack up to his room. I think he paid them.
    [​IMG]
    For those sharing a bathroom, this was it.
    [​IMG]
    Most of the now larger group shared supper at Martin’s restaurant.
    REST DAY – No dog today.
    Most of the Mutz moved on to Baborigame today. I took a rest day. Bill, Dean and Arturo stayed with me.
    I did visit the library to check email and bought some food and more liquids.
    Dean Sez:
    11 Feb 08
    Bill, Arturo, and I moved to the hotel where Charlie is recuperating, now its $20 per private room with toilet, shower, sink and cold water, last night it was $7.50 each in a 2 bed room, but the bath was outside to a separate building for shower and a leaky toilet.
    We have acquired a posse of 2-6 boys, they follow us like stray dogs, I think they skipped school to be with the gringo motos. The rest of the Minnesota and Wisconsin motos moved on today.
    It was a nice lazy recoup day. Ate supper with Arturo, he said I reminded him of his father in law, said I should let my whiskers grow and play Santa Claus, that I had the right personality. Emailed Susan from the library, and then had good hearty chicken soup that Martin’s wife made to help Charlie get back on his feet. Her hamburgers were good too. Did laundry by hand in the luke cool shower. To bed and a good nights sleep.

[​IMG]
    Bryon and Richard, the other father son team on the trip.
    [​IMG]
    CJracer with his 12 gallon tank. The things he does with this somewhat heavy bike are amazing.
    [​IMG]
    Arturo tries his hand at washing clothes the old way.
    [​IMG]
    Me resting. Note re-hydration supplies at hand.
    [​IMG]
    Dean’s favorite storekeeper.
    Tomorrow we go to Baborigame.
  3. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The road to Baborigame went south out of Morelos then East. Going south we ran into a renegade youth that got a couple of us with well aimed rocks. There were no injuries. Later we stopped in a small town and the locals seemed familiar with the problem. Later still we stopped at a rancho and Arturo got information on a new road that saved us a few miles.
    Even though we traveled east to west on this road in December, going the other way made it a whole new road. We started to get glimpses of Sinforosa Canyon which we would cross tomorrow.
    Dean sez:
    12 Feb 08
    We left Morelos today, Charlie said that he was at about 70%, we didn't push hard and made it to Baborigame well before sundown, great pine forests and about 10 stream crossings today. Most dust so far this trip. Passing logging trucks is a planned manuver, through the ruts, rocks, and dust. Bill constant loss battery set up is working well, the bikes have all been good. Arturos KLX 300 gets the best milage in the rough, Bills DR 400 the worst. At supper there was a TV on and we watched what Arturo called a Mucus Novella, it&#8217;s the same as the Soap Operas at home. Steaming hot water to shower with tonight but no heat in the rooms, long johns tonight.

[​IMG]
    Stopping to mark a waypoint for a possible new route to Tubares.
    [​IMG]
    Arturo explains the new shorter route.
    [​IMG]
    Break time for the old and infirm.

[​IMG]
    The hotel at San Juan Nepomuceno. Two rooms with two beds each. No plumbing or heat. 100 pesos per night for as many people as you want to pack in. It would be better than sleeping out on the trail.
    [​IMG]
    At this point we had stopped for some trail mix and Gatorade. These folks stopped because it was a high spot and their cell phones would work. One was a motociclista so we had some conversation. They were also rural medics and when we told them about my recent infirmity they insisted we take along some antibiotics and some other tablets in case of a recurrence.
    [​IMG]
    The motel in Baborigame.

Tomorow the incredible views of the Sinforosa Canyon.
  4. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Dean's Yamaha is an XT350.
  5. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post6461429 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6461429><!-- message -->Morelos
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I swear this looks like the same Mad Dog at the church in Bato.(Not really mad, just smiles alot). Maybe same Dog of the Day:
    [​IMG]
    Small hijack over now.
  6. tv guy

tv guy Commuter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I like the dog pics.
  7. owensoverland

owensoverland n00b

Oddometer:
    Arturo is not holding a knife but a room key for the hotel. When he asked for the room key, the knife is what they handed him. It worked quite well.
    Dean.
  8. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm busted. I am no longer able to guarantee that a particular dog will be in posted the correct town report.
  9. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    Dog of the day.
    Today we would run the Sinforosa Canyon south to north. Going down to the river it was a lot of loose rock and tight switchbacks. Going up the north side was some loose, some packed dirt. The last 13 miles in the forest to Guachochi was fast road.
    Here is a profile of the route.
    [​IMG]

Dean sez:
    13 Feb 08
    A favorite drive today, the Sinforosa canyon. We did this canyon in Dec, and it is a gem. Today we are going in the opposite direction, and the sunlight seems to be perfect for pictures and the view accross the canyon. We are traveling from Baborigame to Guachochi. Midway is the new steel bridge across the Rio Guerachi. I had a couple of burritos at the tienda at the bridge, and took pics of a young man building an adobe casa, they have a large assortment of animals here too. We stayed in a nice hotel in Gauchochi and paid $22.50 each, we had a great supper at Adobe Restaurant; trout and beer $10 each. A good nights sleep.

[​IMG]
    Approaching Sinforosa Canyon
    [​IMG]
    First peek at the north slope road
    [​IMG]
    Typical road before heading down
    [​IMG]
    Typical road heading down the south side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Road shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Siesta time at Guerachi
    [​IMG]
    Dean ordered a couple of burritos. That&#8217;s the cook with him.
    [​IMG]
    Arturo ate some canned hot dogs. I could hardly bear to watch.
    [​IMG]
    Owner of the tiendita showing us an example of his previous career as a leather worker.
    [​IMG]
    We speculated that this might be some type of lodging, but didn&#8217;t think to ask before we left.
    [​IMG]
    Looking back at the north slope road.

Tomorrow we go to Creel for R&R
  10. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day (repeat appearance by popular demand)
    Dean sez:
    14 Feb 08
    Rode pavement from Gauchochi to creel, twisty, smooth, and fun, the last half we had been on three times before, and could really enjoy it. About 100 miles today.
    Back at Marguritas Hotel in Creel $17.50 each includes supper and breakfast. Spoke with Susan tonight, Valentines day.

Since it would be a fast trip today we decided to look at Bill’s bike before we left. It was running so rich that it was nearly un-useable at higher elevations. The po had re-jetted it. Always a mistake in my book.
    We pulled the slide to drop the needle a notch or so and found that the last worker had pinched the diaphragm at assembly. With the changes made and a careful assembly Bill pronounced it much improved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The turn-off to Batopilas made a good rest stop.

Tomorrow is a rest day.
  11. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Excellent, guys. I have been wanting to see what I missed when my DR acted up and I took the easy route to Chihuahua.
  12. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Skipping ahead a bit--we came across a downed power pole with the power line still lying across the road. Thankfully, it was not live.
    [​IMG]

Now the trip gets really interesting. We came to a river crossing where both Charlie and I made it across with our powder still dry (but just barely). Dean, however, hit a big submerged rock and provided this "Kodak moment."

[​IMG]

Ever try to kickstart a bike in the middle of the river? I learned another lesson on this trip. Dean's bike got dunked pretty well, and we had a hard time trying to find out why it wouldn't start--whther it was wet electrics; or water in the carb, whatever. We hosed down the wiring with WD40, dumped water out of the airbox, checked the coil, replaced the spark plug...still, "no va".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So you think you need an SUV in suburbia? Most of the vehicles we saw around here were 4WD SUVs and pickups. While we were working on Dean's bike, a couple vehicles came to cross the river. The passengers scoped the crossing for big rocks, and then went across.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were two hours from the next town and it was getting dark. We decided it was best for Charlie and I to ride ahead to Uruachi to get a good night's sleep and return the next morning. We felt there was a chance things might dry out overnight and the bike would start. We were a bit concerned about Dean, but he seemed to have no worries whatsoever about sleeping under the stars. He is an accomplished camper and backpacker, and had the gear (sans a tent) to survive overnight. You've all heard that you shouldn't ride in MX at night and that is totally true. We saw many animals on the road during the day and sometimes they would run in front of you if you startled them. They were still there at night, but you just don't see them. We were really hustling along knowing we had very little daylight left. Compound this with the fact that I unplugged my lights to conserve my battery. I waited until it was almost totally dark to connect the headlight. The ride was exhilarating (read "scary").

The next morning we returned to find Dean was entertaining some teenagers whose truck broke down. They spent the night in the truck about a hundred yards from Dean. In the morning they came down to check him out and he shared some of his provisions with them. They were waiting for a mechanic friend they had called on their radio. The machanic was walking from some miles away to come help them. We gave them more food and water as they were stuck out there without any. Besides, Tury taught us it was a good idea to make friends out there. At this point we thought we may need a truck to haul Dean's bike, and if they got their truck running...

We finally figured out there was water in the carb. After draining it, we pushed the bike up the hill...Charlie gave Dean a push down the hill to bump-start it, and...SUCCESS! Water spurted and sprayed from the exhaust pipe, but it was running well. Charlie had an epiphany the night before at 3am: maybe there was oil in Dean's crankcase. Correct; The oil looked like chocolate milk. We had brought a few quarts and after a few quick oil changes on the road the oil looked clear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. fugarwe

fugarwe Usual Suspect

Oddometer:
    Yup, you are busted. The smiling dog referenced above and the dog pictured in the chair at the Mary ARE the same dog. Ate lots of Cheezy Poofs too.

Now the dog you have pictured as "back by popular demand" is a completely different dog, as evidenced by it's male naughty bits.:rofl
  14. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dogs of the day
    Dean Sez:
    16 Feb 08
    We left Creel a bit after 9am heading northwest through some beautiful rocky pine forests. This is a new route for Charlie, but Arturo drew map and instructions, Charlie also had part of the route on his GPS. After lunch and a short search we began our climb over a mountain ridge, this long abandoned road was by far our biggest challenge of he trip, but all faired well, soon we connected to an upgraded gravel road and made good time. We came to a cobble stoned streets of the mountainside village of Maguarichi. Here we received many waves from the children and teachers. Heading west from Maguarichi the road turned primitive and at times steep grades, but beautiful mountain scenery. We were headed for Uruachi when I failed to make it across the Rio Oteros. Charlie and Bill did fine, even through the deep hole about 2 feet of water. I hit a large submerged rock, that stopped me and against the current I tipped and submerged most of the bike. We tried for over an hour to get the Yamaha running, but no go. I told Charlie and Bill to head on to Uruachi and get a good nights sleep, I would stay at the river with my bike as I have a sleeping bag and a poncho for warmth, and cover. The night passed well, 3 young men, whose pickup died about a 100 yards up the hillside spent the night out as well. I could hear them through the trees and scrub as they sang traditional songs some of the night,.

The “after lunch” road as shown below looked a lot like a riverbed except for the greater than 10% slope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After a few miles of this the road met up with a pretty good road. At that point the road we had just traveled was blocked off with the typical row of big rocks.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty good road with good scenery that leads to Maguarichi.
    [​IMG]
    Streets of Maguarichi
    After Maguarichi the road was fairly good with great views, a few ruts and big rocks and a small water crossing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Could this be the first Rio Oteros crossing? Nooooo.
    Below is Bill at the first Rio Oteros crossing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deans view of Bill was this.

<OBJECT height=366 width=425>

</params><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFPspHASLZ09c-_FGgv2KAa_Fb0_iCEMEok=" type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' width='425' height='366'></embed></OBJECT>
    </P>
    Deans crossing as chronicled by Bill was more exciting. Actually there was water everywhere after the baptism.
    Bill and I got to Uruachi well after dark which was pretty exciting.
    Tomorrow we get supplies and head back to Dean.
  15. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day. He’s in the yard there, you have to look close.
    We got up, packed up, ate, got gas, got food to take to Dean (all those places were closed when we got to town) and head east again.
    Dean Sez:
    17 Feb 08
    The three young men made it down to the river, and checked me out. We discovered that we each were lacking in the others tongue, but that we could figure out that all of us were stuck there. When the sun broke the ridge at about 8:30am it was really nice to bask in it and dry out my clothes and the frost covered sleeping bag and poncho. We each had a cigar that I passed out, the fellas really liked that. Carlos, Micheal and Josway, were waiting for a mechanic to come and fix there pick up. They helped me push the Yamaha a ways up the hill, so I could spin the motor coming down in gear to help pump out the water. Charlie and Bill showed up around 11am, they had made it to Uruachi arriving about an hour after dark last night. Charlie brought back 2 quarts of oil, which really came in handy, as when we finally did get the bike running, after about an hour or so of trouble shooting and drying out, the oil was like Irish Cream when we changed it at the river. The Yamaha ran great from then on.
    We left the Rio Oteros at about 1:30pm and headed to Uruachi. Before leaving the bike had warmed up enough to change the oil, and we put in a fresh quart. Then about 4 miles up the mountain we drained that quart and put in another that stayed clear and showed no signs of water, then a couple days later in El Fuerte I changed oil for the final time on the trip. When we arrived in Uruachi Bill and I shared a room and Charlie took the single that night. We walked the town, did laundry in the shower and I made the best I could of a swayback spring poking mattress. It was good to have the 3 of us back on course again. Charlie REALLY is an EXCELLANT troubleshooter, he and Bill are both level headed and good men.

[​IMG]
    Deans camp.
    [​IMG]
    A little frost on the bag.
    [​IMG]
    There was time for reflection as Dean waited.
    [​IMG]
    People passed by.
    [​IMG]
    The “boys” came to visit.
    [​IMG]
    Finally help arrived.
    None of us had immersed a bike before, so we had some stuff to learn. Change waterlogged air filter, drain airbox, drain carb etc. Arturo (later) told us that we forgot to drain the muffler. Maybe that’s why it took so long to clear the motor. FYI the best way to clear a muffler if you have enough people is to stand the bike up on its rear wheel. Arturo apparently has experience with bike immersion.:rofl
    The young guys were full of energy so pushed Dean up the hill several times to clear the motor. At last no more water came out and we replaced the plug. It started on the next trip down the hill.
    A word of warning here. If you are old or in bad shape get ready to sweat if you have three young guys pushing a bike as you run alongside and steer.:D
    We got packed up and headed out.
    [​IMG]
    Here’s what we have to traverse.
    [​IMG]
    It’s still a long way to the top.

[​IMG]

Let’s find some SHADE to change the oil in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We arrived in Uruachi in time for Dean to record some local color.
    Tomorrow we’ll try for an early start, as we will have a long day.
  16. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day.
    [​IMG]
    Today we will traverse this profile. It&#8217;s about 85 miles.
    Dean Sez:
    18 Feb 08
    We left Uruachi at 8am, what a beautiful and challenging day through the Oteros Canyon. It is huge and in some places extremely steep and rough and knarly roads, to climb and descend. At about 9:10am we came to the Rio Oteros again at a different point to cross. After wading across the river several places we decided to push the bikes across, but under power. The rocks of the riverbed were slippery from algae and the river thigh deep in some places. I did not want to have to go through drying out an engine again. The total river crossing with shedding clothes and suiting up again took about one and one half hours. We then began our climb out that section of the canyon. We encountered some extremely rough, and pretty much abandoned road, a few of the sections we walked before we attempted to climb them with the bikes. After several tough stop and go spots we made it to the top ridge road, spectacular views and scenery, as the whole day was. We eventually intersected a main gravel road with a fair amount of truck traffic, VERY dusty.
    The over all terrain for the day was cactus, scrub oak, pine, cleared areas with rocky fields, stray donkeys, some cattle, a goat herd with dogs. One small town I swear they emptied the school to watch us ride through town. All the children and their teachers waving from roads edge as we climbed out of their little village. We found a nice little hotel in Bahuichivo, all showered up and went to a little kitchen and ate sopes, a corn tortilla covered with melted cheese and diced hot beef. I had mine with the Guacamole, lettuce and diced tomato. Prior to supper we got some food supplies for tomorrow. We will aim for El Fuerte tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Looking back at Uruachi
    [​IMG]
    The Great Wall of Uruachi, built by pre-Colombian indigenous people. Or a natural rock formation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The river crossing. The rocks underwater were just like these except algae covered.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just like the profile indicates the road started up pretty quickly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The view were spectacular as usual.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The road kept going up.
    [​IMG]
    Then we caught up with this couple. They lived not far from where we crossed the river and were on their way to the market. We bought some fresh oranges for un peso each to supplement our meager lunch of cereal and peanuts.
    [​IMG]

The tiendita at Las Lagunitas About 40 miles into the day and close to 9000 ft. They had Snickers, much to Dean's delight.
    It took about 6 hours to travel the first 40 miles and about 3 hours for the last 40.
    [​IMG]
    Our hotel in Bahuichivo. New, clean, reasonably priced and everything worked.
    [​IMG]
    Sopes with and without Salada

[​IMG]
    After repeated warnings Bill still burned a hole in his shirt drying it with the portable heater. He of course blamed me because I SLIGHTLY moved the heater when I went out to get more towels.:D
    Just before the stores closed we bought breakfast supplies so we could get an early start.
    Tomorrow El Fuerte.
  17. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    Dog of the day
    We got up early and ate in the room so we could get going right away. A little cold cereal and some fruit would hold us until the noon snack.
    [​IMG]
    Cold Cereal mix. Just add water.
    Dean sez:
    19 Feb 08
    We left Bahuichivo after 8am, there was a line up at the Pemex, so we pushed on to Cerocahui where Charlie gave the gasolina man a ride to his station. There we topped off the bikes and headed for Mesa de Arturo. From Mesa d Arturo we stopped at Piedras Verdes where we had a snack at a tienda and watched trucks haul green rock from a mine about a mile south of town. We took the new detour road around the mine, VERY steep grades, no wonder none of the locals are accepting this road, no tracks on it other than ours. Back on the main road after about 4 miles. Many knarly climbs and descents on our way to Tubers where we had burritos at a casa with little patio tables. The kids enjoyed some balloons and stickers we gave them. We then made our way through Choix, then through highway construction on to El Fuerte. Here we stayed at Guerrero Hostel/hotel. Nice folks there and a great court yard where we kept our bikes under the clotheslines. A number of "Lonely Planet" bus/backpackers stay here. Met Santiago, who lives 6 months in Bozeman Montana, and 6 months above Norogachi from where he leads hiking and mule pack trips through the Canyons of Chihuahua.

[​IMG]
    Giving the gasolina man a ride to his station. He seemed a little nervous.
    [​IMG]
    I saw the rear wheels of one of these trucks up close today. My knee cleared them by a good three inches. We surprised each other in a blind one lane hairpin turn just north of Piedras Verdes. It was my thrill for the day.
    [​IMG]
    The last time we stopped at this tiendita about 20 miles from Choix it was about 50°F and raining hard. It was much better this time. We bought healthy snacks.
    [​IMG]
    Our hotel courtyard.
    [​IMG]
    Bill had this great looking “soup” for supper. It looked so good that I had it the next night.
    Tomorrow is a day off to charge batteries, ours and the one Bill is carrying around.
  18. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Oh, the irony. Charlie did repeatedly warn us about the proximity of the radiant heater to our laundry. Because he was so adamant about us being careful not to incinerate our wet clothes, it was so funny to have him cause my shirt to burn. We rubbed it in about a dozen times over the next few days.
  19. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Prior to making our second river crossing, we checked to see if it ride-able. It wasn't. Well, maybe it was, but we were all pretty well spooked after the the last river-crossing drama.
    [​IMG]
  20. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Did you all notice that Dean got a little "air" under his front wheel here? This was a particularly tough stretch of uphill road.
    [​IMG]